Dog had large tumor and died.

Breed: yellow lab
Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her own Thursday and when we found her and brought her to our vet, the x-ray showed a mass in her abdominal area that prevented us from seeing her stomach. We brought her home(we couldn't leave her overnight by herself) after giving her a shot of morphine. We were told that she wouldn't live through the night. How could we not have known about this prior? We had her on sterroids for breathing difficulties, and were told that the meds were the cause of her gas. Is this common in dogs? I even thought it could have been parvo disease, which concerns me because we also have another 8 year old dog.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I have had many cases of dogs who were hiding massive abdominal tumors. They often don't show any symptoms until it gets too large or ruptures. In many cases, even when we palpate the abdomen we can't feel it, especially in a large dog like a lab.

The symptoms don't sound at all like parvo virus. It doesn't sound like you need to worry about your other dog. There really isn't anything that can cause an abdominal tumor that is contagious from dog to dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (7487 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (14245 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4481 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (8946 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (4151 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (8535 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (10810 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (12648 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (22796 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (4657 views)