Dog had large tumor and died.

Breed: yellow lab
Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her own Thursday and when we found her and brought her to our vet, the x-ray showed a mass in her abdominal area that prevented us from seeing her stomach. We brought her home(we couldn't leave her overnight by herself) after giving her a shot of morphine. We were told that she wouldn't live through the night. How could we not have known about this prior? We had her on sterroids for breathing difficulties, and were told that the meds were the cause of her gas. Is this common in dogs? I even thought it could have been parvo disease, which concerns me because we also have another 8 year old dog.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I have had many cases of dogs who were hiding massive abdominal tumors. They often don't show any symptoms until it gets too large or ruptures. In many cases, even when we palpate the abdomen we can't feel it, especially in a large dog like a lab.

The symptoms don't sound at all like parvo virus. It doesn't sound like you need to worry about your other dog. There really isn't anything that can cause an abdominal tumor that is contagious from dog to dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (12437 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (7191 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (41511 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (10367 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (31761 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (9641 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (12412 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (28003 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (10211 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (15090 views)