Dog had large tumor and died.

Breed: yellow lab
Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her own Thursday and when we found her and brought her to our vet, the x-ray showed a mass in her abdominal area that prevented us from seeing her stomach. We brought her home(we couldn't leave her overnight by herself) after giving her a shot of morphine. We were told that she wouldn't live through the night. How could we not have known about this prior? We had her on sterroids for breathing difficulties, and were told that the meds were the cause of her gas. Is this common in dogs? I even thought it could have been parvo disease, which concerns me because we also have another 8 year old dog.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I have had many cases of dogs who were hiding massive abdominal tumors. They often don't show any symptoms until it gets too large or ruptures. In many cases, even when we palpate the abdomen we can't feel it, especially in a large dog like a lab.

The symptoms don't sound at all like parvo virus. It doesn't sound like you need to worry about your other dog. There really isn't anything that can cause an abdominal tumor that is contagious from dog to dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (4766 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (6208 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (7992 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (5786 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (12813 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (4947 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (10230 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (4901 views)

Recall on Hill's food? My cat got I'll suddenly three weeks ago. Committing, lethargy, diarrhea , lack of... (3736 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (48694 views)