Dog had large tumor and died.

Breed: yellow lab
Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her own Thursday and when we found her and brought her to our vet, the x-ray showed a mass in her abdominal area that prevented us from seeing her stomach. We brought her home(we couldn't leave her overnight by herself) after giving her a shot of morphine. We were told that she wouldn't live through the night. How could we not have known about this prior? We had her on sterroids for breathing difficulties, and were told that the meds were the cause of her gas. Is this common in dogs? I even thought it could have been parvo disease, which concerns me because we also have another 8 year old dog.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I have had many cases of dogs who were hiding massive abdominal tumors. They often don't show any symptoms until it gets too large or ruptures. In many cases, even when we palpate the abdomen we can't feel it, especially in a large dog like a lab.

The symptoms don't sound at all like parvo virus. It doesn't sound like you need to worry about your other dog. There really isn't anything that can cause an abdominal tumor that is contagious from dog to dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (12198 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (3322 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (7189 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (7306 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (28625 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (7599 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (7231 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (3366 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (5283 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (12709 views)