Dog had large tumor and died.

Breed: yellow lab
Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her own Thursday and when we found her and brought her to our vet, the x-ray showed a mass in her abdominal area that prevented us from seeing her stomach. We brought her home(we couldn't leave her overnight by herself) after giving her a shot of morphine. We were told that she wouldn't live through the night. How could we not have known about this prior? We had her on sterroids for breathing difficulties, and were told that the meds were the cause of her gas. Is this common in dogs? I even thought it could have been parvo disease, which concerns me because we also have another 8 year old dog.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I have had many cases of dogs who were hiding massive abdominal tumors. They often don't show any symptoms until it gets too large or ruptures. In many cases, even when we palpate the abdomen we can't feel it, especially in a large dog like a lab.

The symptoms don't sound at all like parvo virus. It doesn't sound like you need to worry about your other dog. There really isn't anything that can cause an abdominal tumor that is contagious from dog to dog.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Jessie.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (19835 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8302 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11373 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14451 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6854 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (17771 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10892 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (12159 views)

My dog vomited. Max just threw up. Probably not serous but wanted to check. 30 min ago he was... (11909 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (5556 views)