Understanding biopsy report.

Breed: lab mix

I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm sorry…

I emailed you earlier this week about a mass on my dog, Honey. The vet was sure it was a mast cell tumor, but then the needle aspirate said it was likely not a mast cell tumor, and he started her on antibiotics (Clavamox, 312.5 mg 2x/day) in case it was an infection instead.

She has been on the Clavamox since Wednesday night (7 doses). And the mass, which was very red, inflamed, and oozing a bit has now healed over and shrunk. However, in the past two days it really hasn't changed at all. It is now a small pink bump, about 0.5 cm (before it was probably about 1 cm).

It appears that any sign of infection is gone (I'm going to finish the full course of antibiotics or course) so I'm concerned about the next steps.

I was wondering if you could help me understand the cytology report :

--
Microscopic Description:
"Cellularity is low with a mixed inflammatory cell infiltrate admixed with a few sheets of mature sebaceous epithelial cells and a small amount of blood."

Comment:
"Cellularity slow and may not be fully representative." The sebaceous epithelial cells may be contaminants from the skin or may indicate a sebaceous epithelial proliferation (rule out sebaceous hyperplasia or a benign sebaceous adenoma or other adnexal tumor). The inflammation may be related to chronic trauma, infection, foreign body, neoplasia, etc. Correlate with clinical impression."
---

My main concern is that even though the bump has gotten smaller, when I take her out for walks it gets redder and a bit more inflamed for a time being (although it's not ulcerating or anything). I have read that mast cell tumors change size when they are aggravated. However, this is also in her armpit area, so it is impossible not to irritate that area when she walks. Is it possible it is something benign, just getting rubbed the wrong way?

I am supposed to call the vet on Monday to follow up on this. I am looking for some guidance on how to approach this. Do you think I am concerned unnecessarily? Is it likely to be something benign that had become inflamed, or is the fact that it is sticking around, despite antibiotics, a reason to have it removed? Like I said, it is quite small, but it has not gotten any smaller in the past few days…thank you for your time.

Hi. I'm glad to hear that Honey's mass has shrunk significantly and that the infection seems to be cleared up. Let's see if I can help explain the cytology report for you.

This means that there weren't a lot of cells on the slide. Usually, mast cell tumors will produce a decent number of cells for the pathologist to look at. The types of cells that the pathologist is seeing look like infammation as well as sebaceous epithelial cells which are basically skin cells and then some blood.

"Cellularity slow and may not be fully representative"

Did you mean "Cellularity is low?" "Slow" doesn't really make sense here. But low would mean that there weren't a lot of cells on the slide and as such we could be missing something. This is the case almost every time we do a fine needle aspirate. It's never as accurate as looking at the entire lump as a full biopsy.

"The sebaceous epithelial cells may be contaminants from the skin or may indicate a sebaceous epithelial proliferation (rule out sebaceous hyperplasia or a benign sebaceous adenoma or other adnexal tumor)"

Sebaceous cells are basically skin cells near glands on the skin that secrete material...kind of like sweat glands in people. There are some rare situations where when we see sebaceous cells on a slide it is not just skin cells but a more serious condition such as the three mentioned above. These are really uncommon and I really wouldn't be concerned about them at this point.

"The inflammation may be related to chronic trauma, infection, foreign body, neoplasia, etc. Correlate with clinical impression."

This is the pathologist's "cover your butt" statement. They're basically saying that they think that the lump is caused by inflammation but as there are many possible causes for inflammation, no one can say for sure what the cause is. The clinical view of the lump (i.e. the history of the dog and what the vet is seeing) can help in making this decision. The options that are given here include chronic trauma (i.e. something rubbing on this area consistently), infection, foreign body (i.e. there's a splinter or something in there), neoplasia (cancer). Any time there is a lump, cancer has to be a possibility. Given that the lump has decreased by half in a short time, I would guess that this is unlikely, but we can't rule it out completely.

It's true that mast cells can change from time to time, but I wouldn't expect a mast cell tumor to shrink so much so quickly with just antibiotics. Given that the lump is near her armpit it may be that she is just irritating it as she walks and that is why it is redder after exercise.

At this point, your vet will give you the best guidance. But, if this were my case I would likely be telling you to keep an eye on things. If the lump was still there in a few weeks or if you felt it was getting bigger then I'd likely remove it and send the lump away for a complete biopsy. I'm guessing it will be gone in another few weeks though.

Hope that helps! Dr. Marie.

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8078 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5649 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13610 views)

Panleukopenia vaccine. we have two 12 week old kittens. last week we looked after two 7 week old kittens... (8051 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (6614 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (12268 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6552 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (24548 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5869 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8008 views)