Swollen paw in a cat.

Breed: unknown
My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur seems a little dirty and the paw pad looks red and swollen, but it doesn't seem to be bleeding. She can walk on it and play and is still as active as before, but she does lick that paw and attempt to clean it a lot, what could be wrong and can it heal by itself? The paw also has a weird odor. Would st. john's wort cream help? and is it safe to use?

This is a tough one to answer without actually being able to see your cat, but I can give you some thoughts.

What you have described sounds like it could be an infection. This is most common in a cat who goes outside. The odor has me concerned as this may be a sign of a serious infection.

There are no creams or at home treatments that will cure an infection. A vet visit will be necessary for antibiotics.

Have a good look at the cat's entire leg as well. I have seen a few cats that had a swollen paw because of an elastic band around the leg. You'd think you'd be able to see it easily but sometimes it can cut so deep into the fur and skin that it is hidden.

A bee sting could cause swelling but shouldn't cause an odor.

I hope Yukie is ok!

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18608 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (7827 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (14740 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9065 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12033 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (5981 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (26346 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (4567 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (6902 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (9408 views)