Swollen paw in a cat.

Breed: unknown
My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur seems a little dirty and the paw pad looks red and swollen, but it doesn't seem to be bleeding. She can walk on it and play and is still as active as before, but she does lick that paw and attempt to clean it a lot, what could be wrong and can it heal by itself? The paw also has a weird odor. Would st. john's wort cream help? and is it safe to use?

This is a tough one to answer without actually being able to see your cat, but I can give you some thoughts.

What you have described sounds like it could be an infection. This is most common in a cat who goes outside. The odor has me concerned as this may be a sign of a serious infection.

There are no creams or at home treatments that will cure an infection. A vet visit will be necessary for antibiotics.

Have a good look at the cat's entire leg as well. I have seen a few cats that had a swollen paw because of an elastic band around the leg. You'd think you'd be able to see it easily but sometimes it can cut so deep into the fur and skin that it is hidden.

A bee sting could cause swelling but shouldn't cause an odor.

I hope Yukie is ok!

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (8921 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10505 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10895 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13386 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (12867 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (4896 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (9549 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6187 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (37651 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (28547 views)