Swollen paw in a cat.

Breed: unknown
My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur seems a little dirty and the paw pad looks red and swollen, but it doesn't seem to be bleeding. She can walk on it and play and is still as active as before, but she does lick that paw and attempt to clean it a lot, what could be wrong and can it heal by itself? The paw also has a weird odor. Would st. john's wort cream help? and is it safe to use?

This is a tough one to answer without actually being able to see your cat, but I can give you some thoughts.

What you have described sounds like it could be an infection. This is most common in a cat who goes outside. The odor has me concerned as this may be a sign of a serious infection.

There are no creams or at home treatments that will cure an infection. A vet visit will be necessary for antibiotics.

Have a good look at the cat's entire leg as well. I have seen a few cats that had a swollen paw because of an elastic band around the leg. You'd think you'd be able to see it easily but sometimes it can cut so deep into the fur and skin that it is hidden.

A bee sting could cause swelling but shouldn't cause an odor.

I hope Yukie is ok!

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (27938 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8015 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (54495 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16442 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7400 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (14892 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (29402 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7566 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (6828 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5560 views)