Swollen paw in a cat.

Breed: unknown
My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur seems a little dirty and the paw pad looks red and swollen, but it doesn't seem to be bleeding. She can walk on it and play and is still as active as before, but she does lick that paw and attempt to clean it a lot, what could be wrong and can it heal by itself? The paw also has a weird odor. Would st. john's wort cream help? and is it safe to use?

This is a tough one to answer without actually being able to see your cat, but I can give you some thoughts.

What you have described sounds like it could be an infection. This is most common in a cat who goes outside. The odor has me concerned as this may be a sign of a serious infection.

There are no creams or at home treatments that will cure an infection. A vet visit will be necessary for antibiotics.

Have a good look at the cat's entire leg as well. I have seen a few cats that had a swollen paw because of an elastic band around the leg. You'd think you'd be able to see it easily but sometimes it can cut so deep into the fur and skin that it is hidden.

A bee sting could cause swelling but shouldn't cause an odor.

I hope Yukie is ok!

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (140137 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (21965 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (13249 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (17251 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (17141 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (33312 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (13958 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (143973 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (69436 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (11704 views)