Swollen paw in a cat.

Breed: unknown
My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur seems a little dirty and the paw pad looks red and swollen, but it doesn't seem to be bleeding. She can walk on it and play and is still as active as before, but she does lick that paw and attempt to clean it a lot, what could be wrong and can it heal by itself? The paw also has a weird odor. Would st. john's wort cream help? and is it safe to use?

This is a tough one to answer without actually being able to see your cat, but I can give you some thoughts.

What you have described sounds like it could be an infection. This is most common in a cat who goes outside. The odor has me concerned as this may be a sign of a serious infection.

There are no creams or at home treatments that will cure an infection. A vet visit will be necessary for antibiotics.

Have a good look at the cat's entire leg as well. I have seen a few cats that had a swollen paw because of an elastic band around the leg. You'd think you'd be able to see it easily but sometimes it can cut so deep into the fur and skin that it is hidden.

A bee sting could cause swelling but shouldn't cause an odor.

I hope Yukie is ok!

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22347 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (19299 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12991 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (10369 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14179 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (23362 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18835 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (7854 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89488 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9455 views)