Poodle with leg problems.

Breed: poodle
My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started to get limp legs. now she has a very difficult time getting up from the floor to walk and sometimes she cries at night. I haven't taken her to the vet because I am afraid that it will be something that is costly and I cannot afford it. Do you have an idea of what could possibly be wrong with her?

Sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well.

There are a few things that can cause a small dog to have problems like this.

One possibility is something called Legge-Calve-Perthes disease. This is a condition where there is a problem with blood supply to the head of the femur (which is the ball part of a ball and socket joint.) The good news is that this is treatable but the bad news is that it usually needs a surgery to treat it and it can be pricey.

It is also possible that she has hip dysplasia but this is much more common in larger dogs.

Another possibility is a hip dislocation or a torn ligament in the knee.

In any case it really is a good idea to have your vet check her out. If it is something that requires surgery and you can't afford it you can talk to your vet about putting her on anti-inflammatory medicine. It really sounds like she needs something to help her with the pain.

If you need to make payments for a surgery you may be able to get help via either of these organizations:

Care Credit
Medicard

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (9741 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (7272 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7456 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (4160 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7018 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (13841 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (19137 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10283 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7830 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5355 views)