Poodle with leg problems.

Breed: poodle
My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started to get limp legs. now she has a very difficult time getting up from the floor to walk and sometimes she cries at night. I haven't taken her to the vet because I am afraid that it will be something that is costly and I cannot afford it. Do you have an idea of what could possibly be wrong with her?

Sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well.

There are a few things that can cause a small dog to have problems like this.

One possibility is something called Legge-Calve-Perthes disease. This is a condition where there is a problem with blood supply to the head of the femur (which is the ball part of a ball and socket joint.) The good news is that this is treatable but the bad news is that it usually needs a surgery to treat it and it can be pricey.

It is also possible that she has hip dysplasia but this is much more common in larger dogs.

Another possibility is a hip dislocation or a torn ligament in the knee.

In any case it really is a good idea to have your vet check her out. If it is something that requires surgery and you can't afford it you can talk to your vet about putting her on anti-inflammatory medicine. It really sounds like she needs something to help her with the pain.

If you need to make payments for a surgery you may be able to get help via either of these organizations:

Care Credit
Medicard

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (12446 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (11976 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (6797 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (22081 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (16798 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (11187 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11539 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8447 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (31645 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (17433 views)