Poodle with leg problems.

Breed: poodle
My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started to get limp legs. now she has a very difficult time getting up from the floor to walk and sometimes she cries at night. I haven't taken her to the vet because I am afraid that it will be something that is costly and I cannot afford it. Do you have an idea of what could possibly be wrong with her?

Sorry to hear that Bella is not doing well.

There are a few things that can cause a small dog to have problems like this.

One possibility is something called Legge-Calve-Perthes disease. This is a condition where there is a problem with blood supply to the head of the femur (which is the ball part of a ball and socket joint.) The good news is that this is treatable but the bad news is that it usually needs a surgery to treat it and it can be pricey.

It is also possible that she has hip dysplasia but this is much more common in larger dogs.

Another possibility is a hip dislocation or a torn ligament in the knee.

In any case it really is a good idea to have your vet check her out. If it is something that requires surgery and you can't afford it you can talk to your vet about putting her on anti-inflammatory medicine. It really sounds like she needs something to help her with the pain.

If you need to make payments for a surgery you may be able to get help via either of these organizations:

Care Credit
Medicard

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (14085 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (12281 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (20171 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9700 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (42089 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (94217 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (25800 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (16161 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (11695 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8991 views)