Lack of bladder control.

Breed: COCKER SPANIEL
I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO HAS A URINARY PROBLEM SHE SEEMS TO HAVE NO OR LITTLE CONTROL SHE IS ALWAYS WET AND DRIPPY IN THAT AREA IF SHE SETS SOMEWHERE THERE IS USUALLY A WET SPOT THAT SOAKS THRU SEVERAL LAYERS SHE IS IN HIGH SPIRITS EATS WELL AND HAS NOT OTHER SYMPTOMS

Thanks for your question!

I have a few questions for you to help me answer properly...

• Does she drink more than you would expect?

• Is this a new problem or has she had this issue since she was a puppy?

• When she is urinating in the yard, does she urinate huge amounts, or would you consider that normal?

• Does she seem to be straining to urinate at all?

• Are you mostly finding urine where she has been sleeping?

• Is she spayed?

Thanks so much! I am in between appointments this evening but should be able to answer you quite quickly.

DOESN'T SEEM TO DRINK MORE THEN USUAL
NORMAL OUTSIDE
NO PROBLEM WHILE SLEEPING
NOT SPAYED
EVER SINCE SHE WAS A PUPPY
MORE WHEN EXCITED
LICKS HERSELF A LOT
WILL HAPPEN RIGHT AFTER SHE COMES IN FROM OUTSIDE
LEAVES A TRAIL OF SPOTS AFTER THE LEAK OCCURED

OK, thanks for that great information. The most important information you gave me is that she has had this problem ever since she was a puppy.

I am concerned that she may have been born with a problem with her urinary tract.

One possibility is something called an ectopic ureter. This is a condition where the tubes from the kidneys to the bladder, called ureters, don't empty into the bladder properly.

This is a rough diagram of what may be happening:

ectopic ureter

If this is the problem then urine collects in the vagina and then can leak out, especially when she is excited.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this, but it can be expensive.

Another possibility is something called a pelvic bladder. This means that the bladder sits inside the pelvis rather than in front of it. If this is the case then the bladder can only fill up a certain amount and can't hold a normal amount of urine. However, if it is worse when she comes in from outside then I don't think this is it.

It is also possible that she has some irritation in her bladder or vagina caused either by an infection or by bladder stones or crystals, but this would be unlikely to be happening since she was a puppy.

Some dogs do have what is called excitement urination where they urinate little bits when excited. It would be unusual for this to happen after she has been out to urinate though.

I'd highly advise having your vet do a urinalysis to determine if there is a simple problem like an infection or crystals. If not, then they may have to do some xrays to see if it is one of the other problems. If they are suspecting an ectopic ureter (which is what I think it is) then they might have to do a special type of xray where they inject her with some dye to see the urine flow through her kidneys and bladder.

I hope this helps!

if it is what u believe and it goes un corrected with surgery will it cause future health problems of just continue with the inconvience as it is we are scraping to get by month and she is such a sweet dog

Because she has urine leaking a lot she is a little more susceptible than other dogs to getting either a urinary tract infection or urine scalding causing a skin infection. But these are relatively minor problems.

You can also consider getting dog diapers to help reduce the amount of leaking in the house.

I still would advise a urinalysis to be sure there is no infection.

But if it is an ectopic ureter, dogs can live quite happily with this...they just leak a lot!

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24733 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (8540 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12830 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (14491 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7408 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (19616 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (17737 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23984 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14985 views)

Ear infection and FIV. Hi, I got Monty from a rescue home 5 months ago. he is an fiv + cat and looked so... (6872 views)