Lack of bladder control.

Breed: COCKER SPANIEL
I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO HAS A URINARY PROBLEM SHE SEEMS TO HAVE NO OR LITTLE CONTROL SHE IS ALWAYS WET AND DRIPPY IN THAT AREA IF SHE SETS SOMEWHERE THERE IS USUALLY A WET SPOT THAT SOAKS THRU SEVERAL LAYERS SHE IS IN HIGH SPIRITS EATS WELL AND HAS NOT OTHER SYMPTOMS

Thanks for your question!

I have a few questions for you to help me answer properly...

• Does she drink more than you would expect?

• Is this a new problem or has she had this issue since she was a puppy?

• When she is urinating in the yard, does she urinate huge amounts, or would you consider that normal?

• Does she seem to be straining to urinate at all?

• Are you mostly finding urine where she has been sleeping?

• Is she spayed?

Thanks so much! I am in between appointments this evening but should be able to answer you quite quickly.

DOESN'T SEEM TO DRINK MORE THEN USUAL
NORMAL OUTSIDE
NO PROBLEM WHILE SLEEPING
NOT SPAYED
EVER SINCE SHE WAS A PUPPY
MORE WHEN EXCITED
LICKS HERSELF A LOT
WILL HAPPEN RIGHT AFTER SHE COMES IN FROM OUTSIDE
LEAVES A TRAIL OF SPOTS AFTER THE LEAK OCCURED

OK, thanks for that great information. The most important information you gave me is that she has had this problem ever since she was a puppy.

I am concerned that she may have been born with a problem with her urinary tract.

One possibility is something called an ectopic ureter. This is a condition where the tubes from the kidneys to the bladder, called ureters, don't empty into the bladder properly.

This is a rough diagram of what may be happening:

ectopic ureter

If this is the problem then urine collects in the vagina and then can leak out, especially when she is excited.

There is a surgery that can be done to fix this, but it can be expensive.

Another possibility is something called a pelvic bladder. This means that the bladder sits inside the pelvis rather than in front of it. If this is the case then the bladder can only fill up a certain amount and can't hold a normal amount of urine. However, if it is worse when she comes in from outside then I don't think this is it.

It is also possible that she has some irritation in her bladder or vagina caused either by an infection or by bladder stones or crystals, but this would be unlikely to be happening since she was a puppy.

Some dogs do have what is called excitement urination where they urinate little bits when excited. It would be unusual for this to happen after she has been out to urinate though.

I'd highly advise having your vet do a urinalysis to determine if there is a simple problem like an infection or crystals. If not, then they may have to do some xrays to see if it is one of the other problems. If they are suspecting an ectopic ureter (which is what I think it is) then they might have to do a special type of xray where they inject her with some dye to see the urine flow through her kidneys and bladder.

I hope this helps!

if it is what u believe and it goes un corrected with surgery will it cause future health problems of just continue with the inconvience as it is we are scraping to get by month and she is such a sweet dog

Because she has urine leaking a lot she is a little more susceptible than other dogs to getting either a urinary tract infection or urine scalding causing a skin infection. But these are relatively minor problems.

You can also consider getting dog diapers to help reduce the amount of leaking in the house.

I still would advise a urinalysis to be sure there is no infection.

But if it is an ectopic ureter, dogs can live quite happily with this...they just leak a lot!

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4458 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13678 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29541 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (7344 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (11908 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4280 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8097 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6255 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16075 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (48049 views)