Brown spot on lip of dog.

Breed: Long hair, no other
Greetings,

I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth.

On the lower left gum (I actually think it's the lip), there's a brown patch, nearly a centimeter long.

Where the healthy skin meets the brown skin, it digs a little into the lip. I haven't notice my cat having any problem eating, I still hear biting regularly and I'm not certain if there's an odour or not. I think it smells normal.

This patch is clearly out of place and it makes me think it's some kind of unhealthy growth but I have not had any success finding similar examples on the net.

I appreciate any insight you can give me, thank you!

It's always tough to answer skin questions over the internet but I can give you a few of my thoughts!

I am wondering if Whisper has something called an eosinophilic ulcer. We don't really know what causes these although we suspect it may be connected to allergy. Sometimes they will go away on their own, but often they will need one or more steroid injections given by the vet.

Some cats can get pigment changes that are normal but you shouldn't be seeing an erosion.

A wound of some sort is possible to.

It does sound like a vet visit is a good idea.

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7725 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (11415 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (11720 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (26806 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (259892 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (23855 views)

Clear discharge from dog's nose. Hello, My 3 year old Golden Retriever has been blowing her nose--exactly how... (21087 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (53787 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (10925 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (31105 views)