Quiet after dentistry.

Breed: black tabby
Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry.

Despite my cats advanced age of 17, she has always been in excellent health. She plays laser, travels with us, is constantly at our side and very engaged.

3 weeks ago she had to have her first procedure, had 2 teeth removed under anesthesia. She came home with antibiotics and pain med which we had to give her for a week. Her affect changed completely. She became very "mopey" and unengaged. We even took her back to vet fearing something wrong and were told was just because we were giving her meds and would straighten itself out. All of her lab work while at vet was completely normal, no temp.

Anyway 2 more weeks have passed and she is still NOT the same girl. She is eating well and back to hard food without trouble. She is moving bowels and urinating, although sometimes not in litter, but that is not new. She is still very mopey and sits in strange places for hours kind of staring down, like he is timid or scared. She will not engage with my husband, who is HER BUDDY! Additionally, she has started shaking her back paw, like she is trying to get kitty litter off, but nothing there. She suddenly looks and is acting her age, but this is VERY different than before her procedure.
Thought maybe anesthesia having a prolonged effect due to her age, but has been weeks now and she is SO different.

We are very sad and concerned and hope you have some insight.

Thank you.

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

This is a difficult question to answer. It is good that you had some bloodwork done on Maggie as my first thought was to be concerned that there could be a kidney or liver issue that was made worse by anesthetic but it sounds like this is not the case.

If the moping was most prevalent right after surgery then I would say that the pain medication could be the cause. However, if she is still acting strange two weeks later then something is not right.

I'm not sure how to interpret the shaking of her paw. It almost sounds like there is something neurological going on.

Unfortunately this is one of those types of cases where it is going to be really hard to get an answer. It's possible that there was some type of brain damage under anesthetic but this usually happens if there is a prolonged time without oxygen which is rare.

It's also possible that the body is fighting something that just won't show up on blood tests such as some type of cancer.

Another possibility is if there is some residual pain. You can ask your vet whether it is possible that there are any tooth roots still left behind. This can cause pain that can definitely cause lethargy. And that pain is not always resolved with medication. If this is at all possible then an xray may show it if your vet has dental xray capability. If there is any left tooth root then another surgery is in order to remove it.

Unfortunately I have had cases like this though where no cause was found. Some just get better on their own so hopefully this will happen!

Wish I could add more. :(

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. We hope it straightens out also, but fear our hope misplaced. She is just a different animal :-( Have a nice rest of your summer and thank you again!

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (14892 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (32682 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (6893 views)

Trouble going to the bathroom. First off i want to say i really wish i could do the paid option so i could for sure... (7100 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (16683 views)

Do cats get leptospirosis? Hi... My Name is Dasha.. i'm from Jakarta, Indonesia. I had a kitten, named Lilo,... (9889 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (4363 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (5375 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (8924 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4010 views)