Quiet after dentistry.

Breed: black tabby
Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry.

Despite my cats advanced age of 17, she has always been in excellent health. She plays laser, travels with us, is constantly at our side and very engaged.

3 weeks ago she had to have her first procedure, had 2 teeth removed under anesthesia. She came home with antibiotics and pain med which we had to give her for a week. Her affect changed completely. She became very "mopey" and unengaged. We even took her back to vet fearing something wrong and were told was just because we were giving her meds and would straighten itself out. All of her lab work while at vet was completely normal, no temp.

Anyway 2 more weeks have passed and she is still NOT the same girl. She is eating well and back to hard food without trouble. She is moving bowels and urinating, although sometimes not in litter, but that is not new. She is still very mopey and sits in strange places for hours kind of staring down, like he is timid or scared. She will not engage with my husband, who is HER BUDDY! Additionally, she has started shaking her back paw, like she is trying to get kitty litter off, but nothing there. She suddenly looks and is acting her age, but this is VERY different than before her procedure.
Thought maybe anesthesia having a prolonged effect due to her age, but has been weeks now and she is SO different.

We are very sad and concerned and hope you have some insight.

Thank you.

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

This is a difficult question to answer. It is good that you had some bloodwork done on Maggie as my first thought was to be concerned that there could be a kidney or liver issue that was made worse by anesthetic but it sounds like this is not the case.

If the moping was most prevalent right after surgery then I would say that the pain medication could be the cause. However, if she is still acting strange two weeks later then something is not right.

I'm not sure how to interpret the shaking of her paw. It almost sounds like there is something neurological going on.

Unfortunately this is one of those types of cases where it is going to be really hard to get an answer. It's possible that there was some type of brain damage under anesthetic but this usually happens if there is a prolonged time without oxygen which is rare.

It's also possible that the body is fighting something that just won't show up on blood tests such as some type of cancer.

Another possibility is if there is some residual pain. You can ask your vet whether it is possible that there are any tooth roots still left behind. This can cause pain that can definitely cause lethargy. And that pain is not always resolved with medication. If this is at all possible then an xray may show it if your vet has dental xray capability. If there is any left tooth root then another surgery is in order to remove it.

Unfortunately I have had cases like this though where no cause was found. Some just get better on their own so hopefully this will happen!

Wish I could add more. :(

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. We hope it straightens out also, but fear our hope misplaced. She is just a different animal :-( Have a nice rest of your summer and thank you again!

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (16099 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (23147 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (247796 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (14833 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (26218 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11038 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (19827 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8737 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (21032 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (10430 views)