Tick Borne Disease.

Breed: goldeb retriever
I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a thick, ropy saliva in his mouth. He is not eating much, and he is not drinking much at all. He did perk up after receiving IV fluids yesterday, but he has steadily weakened today. He is very lethargic and has trouble moving. He had a chest x-ray and also an ultrasound, which showed no abnormalities in his major organs. He had bloodwork done as well -- there was some elevation in his white blood cell count, but the vet stated it was due to stress from the test and not indicative of an underlying condition. In the past, he had lyme's disease. He tested positive for lyme in the vet's office this time, but he has received a lyme vaccination since he was a puppy. Right now, I am assuming he has a tick-borne disease. The vet prescribed him doxycycline, and is operating under the assumption that he has some tick-borne disease that is treatable. The vet tested him for tick-borne diseases, and the tests were positive. I am wondering if his symptoms, however, will abate -- or when they will begin abating. Last night I started administering doxycycline. What other illnesses might explain his condition, if it isn't a tick-borne disease that explains his symptoms (notwithstanding a positive test result for lyme and another tick-borne disease)?

Hi there John...it sounds like you and Bailey have been through a frustrating time! This is a tough one for me to answer but I'll tell you my thoughts on what you have written so far.

First of all, do you know which type of tick borne disease he was positive for? This can really change my answer. Some possible tick borne diseases include ehrlichiosis, rocky mountain spotted fever and again, lyme disease.

None of these would directly cause the ropy saliva...I am wondering if this is due to nausea. Do you know if your vet ran a PLI level? This is a test that is specific for pancreatitis. Pancreatitis does not always show up on regular bloodwork.

Another thought...has your vet done an aspirate of his lymph nodes? At this age, we worry sometimes about lymphoma which is a cancer that can affect the lymph nodes. It doesn't always show up on bloodwork. We sometimes see changes on xrays and ultrasound but sometimes in the early stages of the disease we don't.

Doxycycline is good for most tick borne disease. If we are dealing with a tick borne problem then it is hard to say when symptoms should abate but we should see a gradual increase in his condition from day to day. The fact that he has slipped back again a little has made me worried.

Let me know if you know the name of the tick diseases he is positive for and I'll give you some more information.

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9499 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (7554 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (23910 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (14110 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (11569 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (9730 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (26006 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (21118 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (5359 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (6154 views)