Cat has diarrhea.

Breed: unknown
Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it happens (the diarrhea) or it just happens .... Her anus is also red and swollen . Now we have taken her to the vet, he gave her a couple of injections and she was okay for the afternoon. Now unfortunately we were told to keep her in for a couple of days but our 3 year old daughter let her out :( The vet mentioned to us that he thinks that she has been mated with and that also could be why bottom is so red. Now unfortunately again after she came back after being out, the diarrhea has started up again poor thing. Now we inherited our cat (we were only meant to look after her for a couple of weeks) but now she is ours and a much loved part of our family. But we were told that she had been sprayed or fixed sorry not sure of the corrected terminology is there anyway just by looking at her I can tell for sure. Also we live in Greece and vet language is not really in my vocab so if I can go with some extra knowledge and advice when I take her back to the vet (in english and get someone here to help me translate my questions) that would be really helpful. Please any help will be great. I just hate thinking that she is in pain or sick in anyway.
Ps she doesn't have worms.

Sorry as we are also paying for a vet I just cannot afford to pay more please don't take this as we don't love our cat we truly do she thinks she is a second daughter and as treated like one

Thanks for a good question.

Diarrhea in cats can be tricky sometimes. It's often hard to know what the cause is.

You mentioned that she does not have worms. Has she had a fecal exam done by your vet? Sometimes worms can be hard to pick up. Often if I have a cat who goes outdoors and has diarrhea problems I will give a good dewormer that is effective against roundworms and tapeworms just to be sure.

The other thing that I usually do is to use a 5 day course of a medication called metronidazole. This is an antibiotic that helps with intestinal inflammation and also works against a parasite called giardia.

There are many other causes of diarrhea as well. Sometimes more tests need to be done.

It is hard to tell if a cat is spayed or not. Sometimes if we shave the belly we can see a tiny scar about an inch or two below the umbilicus (belly button) which is usually there because of being spayed.

Have you noticed her being in heat? Signs of a heat include yowling, being super friendly, rubbing on things and putting her bum up in the air a lot.

If you are noticing these signs then she is probably in heat which means she is not fixed.

I hope that information helps!

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9351 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (8526 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9138 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (8924 views)

Hartz and Advantage. I gave my cat Hartz one spot flea treatment and it doesnt work grrrr, i gave it on... (9515 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (13787 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (13780 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (4999 views)

Dose of interceptor? I have a new puppy... he's 8 weeks old and weighs 4.6 lbs. I live in Florida which... (10992 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12725 views)