Cat has diarrhea.

Breed: unknown
Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it happens (the diarrhea) or it just happens .... Her anus is also red and swollen . Now we have taken her to the vet, he gave her a couple of injections and she was okay for the afternoon. Now unfortunately we were told to keep her in for a couple of days but our 3 year old daughter let her out :( The vet mentioned to us that he thinks that she has been mated with and that also could be why bottom is so red. Now unfortunately again after she came back after being out, the diarrhea has started up again poor thing. Now we inherited our cat (we were only meant to look after her for a couple of weeks) but now she is ours and a much loved part of our family. But we were told that she had been sprayed or fixed sorry not sure of the corrected terminology is there anyway just by looking at her I can tell for sure. Also we live in Greece and vet language is not really in my vocab so if I can go with some extra knowledge and advice when I take her back to the vet (in english and get someone here to help me translate my questions) that would be really helpful. Please any help will be great. I just hate thinking that she is in pain or sick in anyway.
Ps she doesn't have worms.

Sorry as we are also paying for a vet I just cannot afford to pay more please don't take this as we don't love our cat we truly do she thinks she is a second daughter and as treated like one

Thanks for a good question.

Diarrhea in cats can be tricky sometimes. It's often hard to know what the cause is.

You mentioned that she does not have worms. Has she had a fecal exam done by your vet? Sometimes worms can be hard to pick up. Often if I have a cat who goes outdoors and has diarrhea problems I will give a good dewormer that is effective against roundworms and tapeworms just to be sure.

The other thing that I usually do is to use a 5 day course of a medication called metronidazole. This is an antibiotic that helps with intestinal inflammation and also works against a parasite called giardia.

There are many other causes of diarrhea as well. Sometimes more tests need to be done.

It is hard to tell if a cat is spayed or not. Sometimes if we shave the belly we can see a tiny scar about an inch or two below the umbilicus (belly button) which is usually there because of being spayed.

Have you noticed her being in heat? Signs of a heat include yowling, being super friendly, rubbing on things and putting her bum up in the air a lot.

If you are noticing these signs then she is probably in heat which means she is not fixed.

I hope that information helps!

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (8614 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (201337 views)

Possible degnerative myelopathy. My 12 year old Chesapeake Bay Retreiver has been diagnosed with degenerative disc... (9951 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (10052 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (25379 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (8097 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (19239 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (43475 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (24231 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (9347 views)