Pathology report for mammary tumor.

Breed: German shepherd
Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This operation was about 4 months after she had one large mass removed. The pathology report shows neoplastic cells with mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis. The neoplastic cells are heavily infiltrated by large numbers of eosinophils with some arranged in aggregates around hyper eosinophilic collagen fibers (flame figures). The neoplastic cells extend to multiple deep margins. We are taking her to a vet oncologist but I would like to know what all this means beforehand and what the prognosis is.

Sorry to hear that Shelby is having these problems. I'll see if I can interpret the pathology report for you.

Neoplastic cells are cancerous cells. Anisocytosis and Anisokaryosis are ways of describing the DNA inside of the cells. Generally, if there is a lot of this then it is a sign of an aggressive cancer. The pathologist is saying there is only mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis so this is mixed news. It's not good that these features are present, but I'd rather have mild amounts than marked amounts.

Eosinophils are a type of blood cell that is sometimes present because of allergy, parasites or a type of cancer called mast cell cancer. However, if this was mast cell cancer the pathologist would have easily been able to recognize this. I am guessing that allergy is more likely in the sense that the mass is irritating to Shelby.

I have to say that I have never heard the term "flame figures". I'm not sure what to make of the hyper eosinophilc fibers. This is something you'll need to get the oncologist's opinion on.

However, I am concerned by the fact that the "neoplastic cells extend to multiple deep margins". What this means is that cancer cells can be seen all the way to the edge of the tumor. When we see this there is a high chance that not all of the cancer was removed during surgery. This is usually not the fault of the surgeon as often what happens is that there are tiny microscopic fingers of tumor cells that can extend very far. There is no way to know this as they can't be seen with the human eye.

The oncologist will give you several options. They will likely have more information from the report on the type of cancer that this is and what the expected outcome is. Many mammary cancers can spread to other parts of the body such as the lungs. The oncologist may recommend some other tests be done such as chest xrays (if they have not been done already). It's possible that further surgery can be done to remove more cancer. Or it's possible that they may want to monitor things for now.

I hope this is not too shocking news. Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you for your response and clear explanation. I have to admit I am concerned particularly with the fact that a large tumor was removed about 4 months ago and then this numerous tumors showed up what literally to me was overnight. I guess we will just have to see what the oncologist says. Again,thanks

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8368 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (27729 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (7854 views)

Scrubbing Bubbles toxic? My Toulouse is a male. I discovered one day that after I would exit the shower &... (20097 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6699 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8585 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8360 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20952 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7522 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14238 views)