Cat losing weight.

Breed: Domestic Longhair
I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple of months, she has been losing weight and eating more, the classic symptoms of thyroid disease in cats. So we did a blood test and it came up this way on the key indicators:

T3 was 31 (normal 40-150)
T4 was .5 (normal .8-4.0)
Free T4 was 2.5 (normal 10-50)

So my vet says, that it appears that the Tapazole was doing its job, if anything too well. We looked at other possibilities, including cancer (which my other cat had), but aside from the weight loss, she is exhibiting none of the symptoms the other cat exhibited (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy). He took a full body X-ray and found nothing out of the ordinary, as well as a CBC and found nothing like diabetes.

Finally, he de-wormed her in case that was the cause. The only significant behavioral change is that she no longer will graze on the dry food left out, and hasn’t for a couple of months. I know that dry food is a key factor in cat obesity, so maybe it’s as simple as that. Thank you!

Hmmm...this is a strange situation. With those thyroid numbers your cat should have a reduced appetite and be gaining weight.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would be doing. There likely is some kind of medical issue, but sometimes it can be hard to pin down. I do have a few thoughts for you though.

You could ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. While some cats with this condition have diarrhea, others will simply just lose weight and then they are hungry because they are not absorbing their food properly. It would be great to have your vet check Margie's cobalamin and folate levels. Often with inflammatory bowel disease these levels will be out of whack and we can supplement them and cats do well.

Sometimes if I am suspecting inflammatory bowel disease I will put a cat on prednisolone. This helps to decrease inflammation and helps cats to gain weight again.

However the only way to get a for sure diagnosis of IBD is to do intestinal biopsies.

Another idea - Sometimes when we have strange thyroid levels like this it can mean that there is a tumor in the thyroid gland. You could talk to the vet about biopsying her thyroid to see if this is possible.

And then, any time I have a cat who is losing weight and we can't figure out why, I get a little bit worried about cancer. There are some cancers that can be hard to diagnose. I think the xrays were to look for obvious cancers. Sometimes an ultrasound can tell us more...but there is no guarantee.

I hope this helps and I hope we get some answers soon!

Thank you---great advice! My vet mentioned IBD as a possibility, too. And, yes, I have been considering an ultrasound to check for cancer.

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (24928 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (4260 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (7779 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (9540 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (6100 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (18051 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (8165 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (5067 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (13052 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (7565 views)