Cat losing weight.

Breed: Domestic Longhair
I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple of months, she has been losing weight and eating more, the classic symptoms of thyroid disease in cats. So we did a blood test and it came up this way on the key indicators:

T3 was 31 (normal 40-150)
T4 was .5 (normal .8-4.0)
Free T4 was 2.5 (normal 10-50)

So my vet says, that it appears that the Tapazole was doing its job, if anything too well. We looked at other possibilities, including cancer (which my other cat had), but aside from the weight loss, she is exhibiting none of the symptoms the other cat exhibited (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy). He took a full body X-ray and found nothing out of the ordinary, as well as a CBC and found nothing like diabetes.

Finally, he de-wormed her in case that was the cause. The only significant behavioral change is that she no longer will graze on the dry food left out, and hasn’t for a couple of months. I know that dry food is a key factor in cat obesity, so maybe it’s as simple as that. Thank you!

Hmmm...this is a strange situation. With those thyroid numbers your cat should have a reduced appetite and be gaining weight.

It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would be doing. There likely is some kind of medical issue, but sometimes it can be hard to pin down. I do have a few thoughts for you though.

You could ask your vet about the possibility of inflammatory bowel disease. While some cats with this condition have diarrhea, others will simply just lose weight and then they are hungry because they are not absorbing their food properly. It would be great to have your vet check Margie's cobalamin and folate levels. Often with inflammatory bowel disease these levels will be out of whack and we can supplement them and cats do well.

Sometimes if I am suspecting inflammatory bowel disease I will put a cat on prednisolone. This helps to decrease inflammation and helps cats to gain weight again.

However the only way to get a for sure diagnosis of IBD is to do intestinal biopsies.

Another idea - Sometimes when we have strange thyroid levels like this it can mean that there is a tumor in the thyroid gland. You could talk to the vet about biopsying her thyroid to see if this is possible.

And then, any time I have a cat who is losing weight and we can't figure out why, I get a little bit worried about cancer. There are some cancers that can be hard to diagnose. I think the xrays were to look for obvious cancers. Sometimes an ultrasound can tell us more...but there is no guarantee.

I hope this helps and I hope we get some answers soon!

Thank you---great advice! My vet mentioned IBD as a possibility, too. And, yes, I have been considering an ultrasound to check for cancer.

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (3708 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (7063 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (6988 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (8321 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (6667 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (8559 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (5832 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (5569 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (22337 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (14364 views)