Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Pancreatitis

Species: Dog
Breed: Jack Russell Terrier
Age: 5-8 years
My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had been on IV fluids for several days and npo in hopes that vomiting would completely stop. There was no FB and the diagnosis is now Unresponsive Pancreatitis. I took her home the evening of her surgery because they don't staff the clinic 24 hrs a day and she was still needing observation. She was sent home on Endosorb/Spectam Mix and Cerenia 16 mg. tabs k2(1 per day). Yesterday, she spit up the last dose of Endosorb?Spectam and Cerenia we gave her and my husband did not think we should repeat the Endosorb because it looked like it had not even been digested and he thought she needed more gastric motility to tolerate it.(We are both RNs)I don't have any more Cerenia tabs. and I am wondering if I should restart the Endosorb. She is npo until Monday and last night she spit up a couple of times but she is taking water on her own at times and we have an electrolyte mix which we would have to syringe feed her if we were to get any substantial amt. down. Is there any med to use to get her over this acute phase of pancreatitis and should we be syringe feeding her several ccs of electrolyte fluid even if she throws it up. She walks over to the water bowl from time to time and drinks water on her own. She walks outside and urinates. The dr. said her pancreas did not look bad.We are supposed to be starting to feed her Monday.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, the poor little girl! It sounds like she really isn't feeling well.

I have had a few frustrating cases like this where we really couldn't find out why the dog was so sick.

By far the best treatment for pancreatitis is intravenous fluids (which of course have to be given in the hospital) along with injections of medications to help with vomiting and with abdominal pain. But, if you are in a situation where you don't have access to veterinary care over the weekend then it sounds like your vet is doing the next best thing by sending her home with medications.

Legally, I can't advise you on which medications to give. But, I'll give you my thoughts on Little White Dog's situation. Of the medications that you mentioned, the most important is the cerenia. This is a really good anti-vomiting medication. If we can get her to take this, then this would be really good.

The EndoSorb is not something I usually use. I looked it up and it appears to be a supplement to help the intestines not absorb anything toxic. This sounds like a medication that could be helpful, but if she is having problems with taking it then it is likely ok to wait until Monday before giving her more.

If your vet is thinking this is pancreatitis you could talk to them about prescribing something to take to help with abdominal pain. Unfortunately there is nothing over the counter that I can recommend. There really isn't a medication that is specific for treatment of pancreatitis. The treatment is to:


  • Stop the vomiting. (This is what the cerenia is for)

  • Keep her hydrated. (The electrolyte solution and water will help somewhat, but fluids given intravenously at the hospital are better.)
  • Help stop any abdominal pain. (The cerenia may help a little bit with this).



Regarding the electrolyte solution, if she drinks some on her own, this is great. But, if she is vomiting it up then it may be doing more harm than good.

One thing that I find sometimes works is to make icecubes out of either electrolyte solution or water and let the dog eat these. Sometimes they can keep these down better. Another tip is to give the cerenia and then wait at least 30 minutes before you offer anything else. This way the cerenia will have time to start working and hopefully stop her from vomiting.

I really hope she is feeling better soon!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8378 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7020 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25692 views)

Are these tapeworms? My cat has little cream color things on the chair after she sits for a while. They... (26014 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (10957 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (19720 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (6725 views)

Peeing in house. We live in a 2 story 5 bedroom house. I have a male 14 year old pure bred Ragdoll... (8319 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15359 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33691 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.