Lump with open sores.

Breed: Rottweiler
Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds occasionally. The lump is very warm and developed over a months time. I suspect that it might be a hot spot but was wondering if I could send you a picture to help confirm. Thank you for your time.

Hi there...I'll be responding to your question in full later on this evening, but yes, a photo would be very helpful! You can simply reply to the email you received notifying you of this reply and attach a photo. Thanks!

Thanks for sending the photo. I've included it here:

lump on dog's leg

I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but what I see on this photo has me very concerned. This looks like it could be some sort of a cancerous tumor. Unfortunately rottweilers are quite prone to getting cancers.

I have seen some benign tumors that looked like this and then started to ulcerate once they grew too big. But I think that we need to prepare ourselves that this could be something serious.

Another thing that I have seen that could look like this is something called a lick granuloma. This is something that starts off as a wound and then as the dog licks it more and more it can become an ugly mass. But I can't say that I have seen one get quite this big though.

It really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. They will likely do a fine needle aspirate of the lump which should tell us exactly what the problem is. It's possible that surgery could be done to remove the lump.

I hope everything is ok.

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (11966 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (57437 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (7963 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (18002 views)

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4215 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (8940 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (60651 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (8087 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (40922 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (9435 views)