Lump with open sores.

Breed: Rottweiler
Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds occasionally. The lump is very warm and developed over a months time. I suspect that it might be a hot spot but was wondering if I could send you a picture to help confirm. Thank you for your time.

Hi there...I'll be responding to your question in full later on this evening, but yes, a photo would be very helpful! You can simply reply to the email you received notifying you of this reply and attach a photo. Thanks!

Thanks for sending the photo. I've included it here:

lump on dog's leg

I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but what I see on this photo has me very concerned. This looks like it could be some sort of a cancerous tumor. Unfortunately rottweilers are quite prone to getting cancers.

I have seen some benign tumors that looked like this and then started to ulcerate once they grew too big. But I think that we need to prepare ourselves that this could be something serious.

Another thing that I have seen that could look like this is something called a lick granuloma. This is something that starts off as a wound and then as the dog licks it more and more it can become an ugly mass. But I can't say that I have seen one get quite this big though.

It really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. They will likely do a fine needle aspirate of the lump which should tell us exactly what the problem is. It's possible that surgery could be done to remove the lump.

I hope everything is ok.

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (30687 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (16351 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (9989 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9632 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21613 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10434 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (13943 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (67928 views)

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (8607 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6094 views)