Lump with open sores.

Breed: Rottweiler
Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds occasionally. The lump is very warm and developed over a months time. I suspect that it might be a hot spot but was wondering if I could send you a picture to help confirm. Thank you for your time.

Hi there...I'll be responding to your question in full later on this evening, but yes, a photo would be very helpful! You can simply reply to the email you received notifying you of this reply and attach a photo. Thanks!

Thanks for sending the photo. I've included it here:

lump on dog's leg

I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but what I see on this photo has me very concerned. This looks like it could be some sort of a cancerous tumor. Unfortunately rottweilers are quite prone to getting cancers.

I have seen some benign tumors that looked like this and then started to ulcerate once they grew too big. But I think that we need to prepare ourselves that this could be something serious.

Another thing that I have seen that could look like this is something called a lick granuloma. This is something that starts off as a wound and then as the dog licks it more and more it can become an ugly mass. But I can't say that I have seen one get quite this big though.

It really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. They will likely do a fine needle aspirate of the lump which should tell us exactly what the problem is. It's possible that surgery could be done to remove the lump.

I hope everything is ok.

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (23874 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (10784 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (11547 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (23866 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (19607 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (12025 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (7237 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (9457 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (20313 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (12992 views)