Lump with open sores.

Breed: Rottweiler
Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds occasionally. The lump is very warm and developed over a months time. I suspect that it might be a hot spot but was wondering if I could send you a picture to help confirm. Thank you for your time.

Hi there...I'll be responding to your question in full later on this evening, but yes, a photo would be very helpful! You can simply reply to the email you received notifying you of this reply and attach a photo. Thanks!

Thanks for sending the photo. I've included it here:

lump on dog's leg

I can't give you an official diagnosis over the internet, but what I see on this photo has me very concerned. This looks like it could be some sort of a cancerous tumor. Unfortunately rottweilers are quite prone to getting cancers.

I have seen some benign tumors that looked like this and then started to ulcerate once they grew too big. But I think that we need to prepare ourselves that this could be something serious.

Another thing that I have seen that could look like this is something called a lick granuloma. This is something that starts off as a wound and then as the dog licks it more and more it can become an ugly mass. But I can't say that I have seen one get quite this big though.

It really would be a good idea to have your vet take a look. They will likely do a fine needle aspirate of the lump which should tell us exactly what the problem is. It's possible that surgery could be done to remove the lump.

I hope everything is ok.

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (12988 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (192408 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5339 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17725 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (50124 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24529 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (54076 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (101401 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66361 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7935 views)