Rest for cruciate tears.

Breed: malamute
Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of glocosamine/chondroiten treatment for a torn acl or general benefit to joint tissue?

Sitka is a 6 year old,who tore her acl while playing with her sister. Though the vet recommended surgery, the breeder and a well known musher suggested prolonged rest as the first course of action.

Thanks, in advance.

Rick

Hi Rick.

Sorry to hear that Rascal has torn her ACL. This is unfortunately a very common injury.

Unfortunately in almost every case when a dog has a torn ACL surgery is necessary. Sometimes, in really small dogs or in cats we will recommend rest, but never for large dogs. This is unfortunate because the surgery tends to be very expensive.

If surgery is not done, some dogs will eventually build up enough scar tissue to be able to walk again but they almost always have lifelong lameness. Perhaps the experience the musher had before was with a dog who had a partial tear of the ACL ligament. In these cases sometimes a prolonged period of rest will help. But, if your vet is certain of the tear then rest is extremely unlikely to cure this problem.

Most of the studies on glucosamine in dogs (and people for that matter) have not shown that it is terribly effective. Most of the evidence for glucosamine use in joints is anecdotal rather than research based.

You may want to ask your vet about injections of either Adequan or Cartrophen. This is similar to glucosamine but in an injectable form and there is research to show that this medication helps with joint health.

If surgery is just not an option then you should talk to your vet about long term NSAID therapy as well.

However, unfortunately surgery is the best option.

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (11483 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11190 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (49774 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (7878 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16075 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10200 views)

Lump on my dog. Hello Dr. Marie, I sincerely hope that this is real, and that if it is and you... (33422 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (66067 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (26069 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13145 views)