Rest for cruciate tears.

Breed: malamute
Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of glocosamine/chondroiten treatment for a torn acl or general benefit to joint tissue?

Sitka is a 6 year old,who tore her acl while playing with her sister. Though the vet recommended surgery, the breeder and a well known musher suggested prolonged rest as the first course of action.

Thanks, in advance.

Rick

Hi Rick.

Sorry to hear that Rascal has torn her ACL. This is unfortunately a very common injury.

Unfortunately in almost every case when a dog has a torn ACL surgery is necessary. Sometimes, in really small dogs or in cats we will recommend rest, but never for large dogs. This is unfortunate because the surgery tends to be very expensive.

If surgery is not done, some dogs will eventually build up enough scar tissue to be able to walk again but they almost always have lifelong lameness. Perhaps the experience the musher had before was with a dog who had a partial tear of the ACL ligament. In these cases sometimes a prolonged period of rest will help. But, if your vet is certain of the tear then rest is extremely unlikely to cure this problem.

Most of the studies on glucosamine in dogs (and people for that matter) have not shown that it is terribly effective. Most of the evidence for glucosamine use in joints is anecdotal rather than research based.

You may want to ask your vet about injections of either Adequan or Cartrophen. This is similar to glucosamine but in an injectable form and there is research to show that this medication helps with joint health.

If surgery is just not an option then you should talk to your vet about long term NSAID therapy as well.

However, unfortunately surgery is the best option.

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9310 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (42766 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (14215 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11427 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11655 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (46114 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (11379 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13142 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13446 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (8634 views)