Rest for cruciate tears.

Breed: malamute
Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of glocosamine/chondroiten treatment for a torn acl or general benefit to joint tissue?

Sitka is a 6 year old,who tore her acl while playing with her sister. Though the vet recommended surgery, the breeder and a well known musher suggested prolonged rest as the first course of action.

Thanks, in advance.

Rick

Hi Rick.

Sorry to hear that Rascal has torn her ACL. This is unfortunately a very common injury.

Unfortunately in almost every case when a dog has a torn ACL surgery is necessary. Sometimes, in really small dogs or in cats we will recommend rest, but never for large dogs. This is unfortunate because the surgery tends to be very expensive.

If surgery is not done, some dogs will eventually build up enough scar tissue to be able to walk again but they almost always have lifelong lameness. Perhaps the experience the musher had before was with a dog who had a partial tear of the ACL ligament. In these cases sometimes a prolonged period of rest will help. But, if your vet is certain of the tear then rest is extremely unlikely to cure this problem.

Most of the studies on glucosamine in dogs (and people for that matter) have not shown that it is terribly effective. Most of the evidence for glucosamine use in joints is anecdotal rather than research based.

You may want to ask your vet about injections of either Adequan or Cartrophen. This is similar to glucosamine but in an injectable form and there is research to show that this medication helps with joint health.

If surgery is just not an option then you should talk to your vet about long term NSAID therapy as well.

However, unfortunately surgery is the best option.

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14835 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5629 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (12593 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (50199 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12044 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (61637 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40114 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7301 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4609 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9356 views)