Swollen eye and vomiting.

Breed: Mixed
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (3863 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (11942 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (31621 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (8694 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (665829 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (9219 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (25553 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29169 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (15693 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (9811 views)