Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Swollen eye and vomiting.

Species: Dog
Breed: Mixed
Age: 1-2 years
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Hope all is well!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (3863 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (11942 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (31621 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (8694 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (665829 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (9219 views)

Is this a tick? So Badger has a strange growth on the edge of his ear...I will include two pictures... (25553 views)

dead skin on wound My dog has a skin Lesion due to a cage injury. He tried to get out the cage under... (29169 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (15693 views)

Alternative to Sentinel Molly has been on Sentinel forever....now it's been recalled...I have 2 months worth... (9811 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.