Swollen eye and vomiting.

Breed: Mixed
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (23949 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (10418 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (6739 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (17259 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (29408 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (26332 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (18413 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (6307 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (10829 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (21348 views)