Swollen eye and vomiting.

Breed: Mixed
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (35269 views)

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (6535 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8524 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13227 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14077 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6886 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (11926 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6357 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11185 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12169 views)