Swollen eye and vomiting.

Breed: Mixed
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (7066 views)

Puppy and adult dog vomiting. Our 8 yr old lab became ill about 2 weeks ago with occassional vomiting, diarrhea,... (5171 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (37984 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (24658 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (19363 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11777 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26963 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (9175 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13741 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (7286 views)