Swollen eye and vomiting.

Breed: Mixed
Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went down with a hot compress of salt water. He started vomiting yesterday and now his other eye is starting to swell up. Have you seen this before?

Sorry to hear that Dollar is having these problems!

The most common reason for a dog to get a swollen eye is an allergic reaction to something. This could be to a bee sting, a wasp sting or even a spider bite. Sometimes we don't find out what the dog was allergic to though.

If it is an allergic reaction then most of the time it will respond to Benadryl. The dose of Benadryl for dogs is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound.

If there is no response to the benadryl or if the swelling is getting worse or if you are seeing that he is having trouble breathing then an emergency vet visit may be necessary.

Another possible reason for a swollen eye is a tooth root infection. The large chewing tooth on the side of the mouth is called a carnassial tooth. If this tooth is infected then the root can swell and cause swelling below the eye. If this is the case then a vet will need to remove the tooth. But it would be quite uncommon to have an infection on both sides of the mouth.

I have seen some allergic reactions that can go on for a few days so if he is still not feeling right then a vet visit is the best idea.

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (12071 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (29580 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (22341 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (31095 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13929 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (10407 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (12127 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (16313 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (16148 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18449 views)