Should I spay my dog?

Breed: Maltese

I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we were going to do, but never got around to it. Now I took her to the vet as she is being very picky with her food as she will eat healthy human food (turkey & plain rice), but will not eat her dog food. She has been a picky eater since she was a puppy. I took her to the vet to make sure everything was ok, they said she was fine. However, the vet recommended that we spay her to lessen cancer chances and urinary Tracy infections, but I am very worried that since she is 8-years old she will not be able to handle the anesthesia as well as she would if she was younger.

Obviously we would have the vet do a proper bloodwork prior to the surgery to make sure everything was ok, but I still wanted a second opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks for your question!

I would agree 100% with your vet. For a Maltese, 8 is only middle aged. Spaying her is definitely a good idea.

As she gets older, she is at risk for getting ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a serious life threatening infection in the uterus called pyometra. If she is spayed she will not get any of these.

If Lola's blood tests are normal (which I am sure they will be), then there really is no more risk with her anesthesia than a puppy would have. Dogs recover extremely quickly from a spay. She will be back to normal within a few days.

I hope that helps with your decision making!

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (36844 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (14684 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (23967 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9949 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14389 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (28472 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8500 views)

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (15180 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (20387 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (32562 views)