Should I spay my dog?

Breed: Maltese

I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we were going to do, but never got around to it. Now I took her to the vet as she is being very picky with her food as she will eat healthy human food (turkey & plain rice), but will not eat her dog food. She has been a picky eater since she was a puppy. I took her to the vet to make sure everything was ok, they said she was fine. However, the vet recommended that we spay her to lessen cancer chances and urinary Tracy infections, but I am very worried that since she is 8-years old she will not be able to handle the anesthesia as well as she would if she was younger.

Obviously we would have the vet do a proper bloodwork prior to the surgery to make sure everything was ok, but I still wanted a second opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks for your question!

I would agree 100% with your vet. For a Maltese, 8 is only middle aged. Spaying her is definitely a good idea.

As she gets older, she is at risk for getting ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a serious life threatening infection in the uterus called pyometra. If she is spayed she will not get any of these.

If Lola's blood tests are normal (which I am sure they will be), then there really is no more risk with her anesthesia than a puppy would have. Dogs recover extremely quickly from a spay. She will be back to normal within a few days.

I hope that helps with your decision making!

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (21367 views)

43 days pregnant and not eating. MY DOG IS 43 DAYS PREGNANT, SHE HAS LOW APETITE, DOCTOR PRESCRIBED PETPRO TABS 1... (9707 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9519 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (6590 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (20154 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (11414 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (9629 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (5602 views)

Blood blisters on a cat My cat has developed what appear to be blood blisters, one just below her nose and... (18357 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13983 views)