Should I spay my dog?

Breed: Maltese

I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we were going to do, but never got around to it. Now I took her to the vet as she is being very picky with her food as she will eat healthy human food (turkey & plain rice), but will not eat her dog food. She has been a picky eater since she was a puppy. I took her to the vet to make sure everything was ok, they said she was fine. However, the vet recommended that we spay her to lessen cancer chances and urinary Tracy infections, but I am very worried that since she is 8-years old she will not be able to handle the anesthesia as well as she would if she was younger.

Obviously we would have the vet do a proper bloodwork prior to the surgery to make sure everything was ok, but I still wanted a second opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks for your question!

I would agree 100% with your vet. For a Maltese, 8 is only middle aged. Spaying her is definitely a good idea.

As she gets older, she is at risk for getting ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a serious life threatening infection in the uterus called pyometra. If she is spayed she will not get any of these.

If Lola's blood tests are normal (which I am sure they will be), then there really is no more risk with her anesthesia than a puppy would have. Dogs recover extremely quickly from a spay. She will be back to normal within a few days.

I hope that helps with your decision making!

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (8664 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12209 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13976 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (13880 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (27440 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (6077 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5228 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40348 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11954 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7039 views)