Should I spay my dog?

Breed: Maltese

I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we were going to do, but never got around to it. Now I took her to the vet as she is being very picky with her food as she will eat healthy human food (turkey & plain rice), but will not eat her dog food. She has been a picky eater since she was a puppy. I took her to the vet to make sure everything was ok, they said she was fine. However, the vet recommended that we spay her to lessen cancer chances and urinary Tracy infections, but I am very worried that since she is 8-years old she will not be able to handle the anesthesia as well as she would if she was younger.

Obviously we would have the vet do a proper bloodwork prior to the surgery to make sure everything was ok, but I still wanted a second opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks for your question!

I would agree 100% with your vet. For a Maltese, 8 is only middle aged. Spaying her is definitely a good idea.

As she gets older, she is at risk for getting ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a serious life threatening infection in the uterus called pyometra. If she is spayed she will not get any of these.

If Lola's blood tests are normal (which I am sure they will be), then there really is no more risk with her anesthesia than a puppy would have. Dogs recover extremely quickly from a spay. She will be back to normal within a few days.

I hope that helps with your decision making!

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7994 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5195 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (47575 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (4687 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6919 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (14050 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8817 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21112 views)

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8951 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (5113 views)