Should I spay my dog?

Breed: Maltese

I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we were going to do, but never got around to it. Now I took her to the vet as she is being very picky with her food as she will eat healthy human food (turkey & plain rice), but will not eat her dog food. She has been a picky eater since she was a puppy. I took her to the vet to make sure everything was ok, they said she was fine. However, the vet recommended that we spay her to lessen cancer chances and urinary Tracy infections, but I am very worried that since she is 8-years old she will not be able to handle the anesthesia as well as she would if she was younger.

Obviously we would have the vet do a proper bloodwork prior to the surgery to make sure everything was ok, but I still wanted a second opinion.

What do you think?

Thanks for your question!

I would agree 100% with your vet. For a Maltese, 8 is only middle aged. Spaying her is definitely a good idea.

As she gets older, she is at risk for getting ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and a serious life threatening infection in the uterus called pyometra. If she is spayed she will not get any of these.

If Lola's blood tests are normal (which I am sure they will be), then there really is no more risk with her anesthesia than a puppy would have. Dogs recover extremely quickly from a spay. She will be back to normal within a few days.

I hope that helps with your decision making!

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10478 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6018 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (6778 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38633 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11373 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8552 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11100 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (46078 views)

Bleeding from penis won't stop. I have a british bulldog who began bleeding from his penis a week ago. Took him to... (40486 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (42846 views)