Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats.

Breed: British shorthair
My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is affecting her respiratory track. Her breathing is very laboured.
We are not aware of her having any underlying condition. Although since she was a kitten, she had coughing episodes especially when she was combed and hairballs vomit was very rare.Following culture analysis several antibiotics were identified by the lab as effective. These include: Cefquinoma, Polymyxine B, Gentamicine, Mabufloxcine, Meropeneme, Amikazine, Tobramycine.

Our vet has put her on Marbocyl, she has been on it for 7 days the treatment is due to last 20 days.
She also put her on Metacam which was ineffective. Her breathing became worst and she lost her appetite. She is now on on half a pill 2mg of cortisone. This gives her relief.We tried giving her inhaler becotide but she gets to distressed with the inhaler. She is fine with pills

I know that this bacteria is difficult to treat and wondered if you had any advise.

Secondly what should we expect if it remains untreatable. Can she survive with management of the condition. I read one case on a vet forum where a cat had the condition for over 6 years.

Finally our other anxieties relate to cross infection. We have another cat. He is fine. What I have read from others with multiple animals is that its unusual for cats to transmit this to each other.

Since discovering the condition, we are obviously taking hygiene precautions for ourselves. Once again I read on the internet that there has only been one recorded case of a human with Cystic Fibrosis transmitting it to a cat and none that involved a cat passing the illness to a human.

Aw, poor Shakey. It sounds like she is really having a tough time.

You are right that pseudomonas can be difficult to treat. Some cats can have chronic problems with this bacteria and can have great difficulty clearing the infection. Sometimes, even with the appropriate antibiotics these infections can be stubborn and not go away.

You may want to ask your vet about the possibility of adding a medication called zithromax (azithromycin) to Shakey's treatment. It is an antibiotic that has anti-inflammatory properties and will also help to break down the biofilm around the pseudomonas which allows antibiotics (i.e. the marbocyl) to penetrate better. Some cats with chronic pseudomonas problems can be put on zithromax twice weekly long term which usually really helps reduce the symptoms.

Often cats with pseudomonas respiratory tract infections will need steroids to help with inflammation so it is good to continue with the cortisone tablets. You can also ask your vet about possibly using an eye medication containing dexamethasone as drops to put in the nostrils (if Shakey will allow it).

This type of infection is not normally one that will be contagious from cat to cat.

In regards to the concern of Shakey spreading the bacteria to you, it is extremely unlikely that you would have any concern. Pseudomonas is a serious problem if someone with cystic fibrosis gets it.

I did some research for you and from what I can see, it is extremely unlikely for a cat to spread pseudomonas to a person (even if that person had CF). People with CF are much more likely to get the bacteria from the environment. The following article describes where CF patients are likely to encounter pseudomonas, and cats are not even mentioned:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18094014

I really hope that Shakey feels better soon!

Thank you so much. I will make your suggestion to the vet.

Regards

Altan

You're very welcome! I hope everything works out well.

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10806 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (28217 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7880 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7700 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6439 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5081 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61317 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44578 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5959 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18905 views)