Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Flea dirt around nipples? She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance... (39229 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (47139 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11401 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (7335 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10719 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6637 views)

Peeing in the house. We have a problem with Storm (a male cat) weeing every where in the house we do have... (7433 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (55134 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4780 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11814 views)