Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8041 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (12256 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (12206 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (33328 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8340 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17791 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8170 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7583 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (11705 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (16495 views)