Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (30954 views)

Can we give benadryl for allergic reaction? My 9 month old boxer puppy has been stung by a bee or bees, we think in his mouth. ... (9576 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (18779 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (12297 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (17380 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (13262 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (6989 views)

Can't pee. Constipation issues too. Hello, My cat has Mega Colon and is being treated with CisaPride 5mg/ml suspension.... (11848 views)

Full anal glands. full anal... (6140 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (6692 views)