Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (135213 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (5961 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (14518 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (6787 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9189 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10670 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (15289 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (6345 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18628 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8709 views)