Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14626 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (7989 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16426 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (4287 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (18286 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (28630 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13622 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (57709 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18954 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11159 views)