Food allergy?

Breed: Pug
My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot. I took him into the vet and I was pretty much told he developed an allergie and was given steroids. I was told that once the ground freezes he should be good. Dead middle of winter- still scratching. I called the vet and they just suggested keeping him on steroids every other day from now on (without even checking him again). He has had the same food - for years. I am also seeing skin color changes on his stomach and back legs and he has small sores that look like they could be a little scabby. I even think his anus is turning from pink to black ( i know it is weird that I notice that) . I was hoping for another opinion.

It definitely is possible that this is a food allergy. Any time a dog has allergy symptoms that persist through the winter then a food allergy is the most likely culprit. The irritation around the anus is very typical of food allergy as well.

It is actually quite common for dogs to develop allergies to a food they have been on for a long time.

You may want to talk to your vet about trying a hypoallergenic food. By far the best choices are prescription foods. If you do so you will need to make sure that Buddy gets absolutely no other food while on the prescription food.

Then, after a few weeks you should notice the symptoms going away. I will often use a small dose of steroids for the first little while to help the dog feel better.

Once he is doing well then you can gradually start introducing treats or different foods to see if we can determine what he can handle.

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8463 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6977 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (8143 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (7111 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11452 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (8109 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (5304 views)

Are soy nuts bad for dogs? Are roasted soynuts safe for... (16710 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10244 views)

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (10364 views)