Vomiting kittens.

Breed: domestic short hair
I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had some dietary changes with them and I thought this to be the cause but am worrying it may be a larger issue. They've had some bouts of vomiting, their stools are runny, decreased appetites, weight loss. They are still playful, but sometimes less so and I can tell their tummies may be bothering them. They still drink water. I've seen them eating some grass. I've recently added some digestive enzymes to their food. But they aren't eating much. They seem to have a normal day, then a not so normal day. Been going on for about a week. I know they were dewormed with their first vet visit. Should I be taking them in for blood tests? Is this something minor to just watch?

This is a tough question to answer. If your kittens both have vomiting and diarrhea, and you have recently changed their food then the food change may be the culprit. But, it's a little bit unusual for these symptoms to be going on for a week.

Another thought to consider is the possibility of some type of parasite. If this were my case, the first thing that I would be doing is a fecal exam to see if there are any parasites present. Some parasites can be treated with over the counter dewormers, but there are others such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medicines.

A virus is possible, but less likely given that they are vaccinated.

Another possibility is some type of toxin or gastric irritant. Do you have any new plants in the house? Is it possible that they have been nibbling on them? Some plants like poinsettias are not poisonous but can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Others, like some lilies can be quite toxic.

I am always concerned when I see a cat who doesn't want to eat. If it's only a day I wouldn't be worried. But,if this has been going on for a week then these cats really should be seeing a vet.

I hope things look up soon.

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (14930 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (6222 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (6056 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (12874 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (6973 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (6997 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (4290 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (25572 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (3646 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (6590 views)