Vomiting kittens.

Breed: domestic short hair
I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had some dietary changes with them and I thought this to be the cause but am worrying it may be a larger issue. They've had some bouts of vomiting, their stools are runny, decreased appetites, weight loss. They are still playful, but sometimes less so and I can tell their tummies may be bothering them. They still drink water. I've seen them eating some grass. I've recently added some digestive enzymes to their food. But they aren't eating much. They seem to have a normal day, then a not so normal day. Been going on for about a week. I know they were dewormed with their first vet visit. Should I be taking them in for blood tests? Is this something minor to just watch?

This is a tough question to answer. If your kittens both have vomiting and diarrhea, and you have recently changed their food then the food change may be the culprit. But, it's a little bit unusual for these symptoms to be going on for a week.

Another thought to consider is the possibility of some type of parasite. If this were my case, the first thing that I would be doing is a fecal exam to see if there are any parasites present. Some parasites can be treated with over the counter dewormers, but there are others such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medicines.

A virus is possible, but less likely given that they are vaccinated.

Another possibility is some type of toxin or gastric irritant. Do you have any new plants in the house? Is it possible that they have been nibbling on them? Some plants like poinsettias are not poisonous but can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Others, like some lilies can be quite toxic.

I am always concerned when I see a cat who doesn't want to eat. If it's only a day I wouldn't be worried. But,if this has been going on for a week then these cats really should be seeing a vet.

I hope things look up soon.

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (18323 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6359 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10958 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (12485 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (8221 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (6455 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (18289 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (10687 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (6475 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (14904 views)