Vomiting kittens.

Breed: domestic short hair
I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had some dietary changes with them and I thought this to be the cause but am worrying it may be a larger issue. They've had some bouts of vomiting, their stools are runny, decreased appetites, weight loss. They are still playful, but sometimes less so and I can tell their tummies may be bothering them. They still drink water. I've seen them eating some grass. I've recently added some digestive enzymes to their food. But they aren't eating much. They seem to have a normal day, then a not so normal day. Been going on for about a week. I know they were dewormed with their first vet visit. Should I be taking them in for blood tests? Is this something minor to just watch?

This is a tough question to answer. If your kittens both have vomiting and diarrhea, and you have recently changed their food then the food change may be the culprit. But, it's a little bit unusual for these symptoms to be going on for a week.

Another thought to consider is the possibility of some type of parasite. If this were my case, the first thing that I would be doing is a fecal exam to see if there are any parasites present. Some parasites can be treated with over the counter dewormers, but there are others such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medicines.

A virus is possible, but less likely given that they are vaccinated.

Another possibility is some type of toxin or gastric irritant. Do you have any new plants in the house? Is it possible that they have been nibbling on them? Some plants like poinsettias are not poisonous but can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Others, like some lilies can be quite toxic.

I am always concerned when I see a cat who doesn't want to eat. If it's only a day I wouldn't be worried. But,if this has been going on for a week then these cats really should be seeing a vet.

I hope things look up soon.

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (5971 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (18135 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (3715 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (5575 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (14684 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (19168 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (16354 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (4068 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (9130 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (7783 views)