Vomiting kittens.

Breed: domestic short hair
I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had some dietary changes with them and I thought this to be the cause but am worrying it may be a larger issue. They've had some bouts of vomiting, their stools are runny, decreased appetites, weight loss. They are still playful, but sometimes less so and I can tell their tummies may be bothering them. They still drink water. I've seen them eating some grass. I've recently added some digestive enzymes to their food. But they aren't eating much. They seem to have a normal day, then a not so normal day. Been going on for about a week. I know they were dewormed with their first vet visit. Should I be taking them in for blood tests? Is this something minor to just watch?

This is a tough question to answer. If your kittens both have vomiting and diarrhea, and you have recently changed their food then the food change may be the culprit. But, it's a little bit unusual for these symptoms to be going on for a week.

Another thought to consider is the possibility of some type of parasite. If this were my case, the first thing that I would be doing is a fecal exam to see if there are any parasites present. Some parasites can be treated with over the counter dewormers, but there are others such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medicines.

A virus is possible, but less likely given that they are vaccinated.

Another possibility is some type of toxin or gastric irritant. Do you have any new plants in the house? Is it possible that they have been nibbling on them? Some plants like poinsettias are not poisonous but can cause vomiting or diarrhea. Others, like some lilies can be quite toxic.

I am always concerned when I see a cat who doesn't want to eat. If it's only a day I wouldn't be worried. But,if this has been going on for a week then these cats really should be seeing a vet.

I hope things look up soon.

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7332 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9264 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (18117 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (19203 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23269 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16174 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19269 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (10121 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8481 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (51469 views)