Brewer's Yeast for fleas.

Breed: pug
Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks, especially a dog with diet controlled allergies?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

It's a bit of an old wive's tale that Brewers yeast or garlic works to kill fleas.

Garlic can actually be toxic to dogs. It's possible that feeding a dog garlic may make it a little less tasty to fleas but it's not going to kill fleas.

I just did some searching for you as I never want to discount something just because I think that it's not true. I actually found a scientific study that was done to determine if brewer's yeast works for fleas. You can read the abstract here:

Does Brewer's Yeast Kill Fleas?

As you can read in the article the dogs treated with Brewer's yeast had no reduction in flea numbers at all.

I wish there were an easy and inexpensive remedy to fleas. If there was something that worked perfectly then we'd all be recommending it! One of the problems that I am seeing now is that fleas are getting resistant to many treatments. I blame this on over the counter pet store flea products. These products will usually only kill a percentage of the fleas. The fleas that remain then go on to reproduce and create a population of fleas that can resist cheap flea products.

The only products that I believe in are prescription strength products. These include:

• Advantage <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Revolution

• Frontline <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Comfortis

• ---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (25200 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (7307 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (11381 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (22000 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (32652 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6795 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (13684 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (30667 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (198423 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (46870 views)