Brewer's Yeast for fleas.

Breed: pug
Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks, especially a dog with diet controlled allergies?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

It's a bit of an old wive's tale that Brewers yeast or garlic works to kill fleas.

Garlic can actually be toxic to dogs. It's possible that feeding a dog garlic may make it a little less tasty to fleas but it's not going to kill fleas.

I just did some searching for you as I never want to discount something just because I think that it's not true. I actually found a scientific study that was done to determine if brewer's yeast works for fleas. You can read the abstract here:

Does Brewer's Yeast Kill Fleas?

As you can read in the article the dogs treated with Brewer's yeast had no reduction in flea numbers at all.

I wish there were an easy and inexpensive remedy to fleas. If there was something that worked perfectly then we'd all be recommending it! One of the problems that I am seeing now is that fleas are getting resistant to many treatments. I blame this on over the counter pet store flea products. These products will usually only kill a percentage of the fleas. The fleas that remain then go on to reproduce and create a population of fleas that can resist cheap flea products.

The only products that I believe in are prescription strength products. These include:

• Advantage <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Revolution

• Frontline <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Comfortis

• ---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (17650 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (13565 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (12021 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (8355 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (9927 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7566 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (11100 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (15449 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (24503 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (9882 views)