Brewer's Yeast for fleas.

Breed: pug
Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks, especially a dog with diet controlled allergies?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

It's a bit of an old wive's tale that Brewers yeast or garlic works to kill fleas.

Garlic can actually be toxic to dogs. It's possible that feeding a dog garlic may make it a little less tasty to fleas but it's not going to kill fleas.

I just did some searching for you as I never want to discount something just because I think that it's not true. I actually found a scientific study that was done to determine if brewer's yeast works for fleas. You can read the abstract here:

Does Brewer's Yeast Kill Fleas?

As you can read in the article the dogs treated with Brewer's yeast had no reduction in flea numbers at all.

I wish there were an easy and inexpensive remedy to fleas. If there was something that worked perfectly then we'd all be recommending it! One of the problems that I am seeing now is that fleas are getting resistant to many treatments. I blame this on over the counter pet store flea products. These products will usually only kill a percentage of the fleas. The fleas that remain then go on to reproduce and create a population of fleas that can resist cheap flea products.

The only products that I believe in are prescription strength products. These include:

• Advantage <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Revolution

• Frontline <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Comfortis

• ---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (40269 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (16843 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7908 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6748 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (7557 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (8692 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7803 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10867 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (5424 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12006 views)