Brewer's Yeast for fleas.

Breed: pug
Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks, especially a dog with diet controlled allergies?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat garlic?

It's a bit of an old wive's tale that Brewers yeast or garlic works to kill fleas.

Garlic can actually be toxic to dogs. It's possible that feeding a dog garlic may make it a little less tasty to fleas but it's not going to kill fleas.

I just did some searching for you as I never want to discount something just because I think that it's not true. I actually found a scientific study that was done to determine if brewer's yeast works for fleas. You can read the abstract here:

Does Brewer's Yeast Kill Fleas?

As you can read in the article the dogs treated with Brewer's yeast had no reduction in flea numbers at all.

I wish there were an easy and inexpensive remedy to fleas. If there was something that worked perfectly then we'd all be recommending it! One of the problems that I am seeing now is that fleas are getting resistant to many treatments. I blame this on over the counter pet store flea products. These products will usually only kill a percentage of the fleas. The fleas that remain then go on to reproduce and create a population of fleas that can resist cheap flea products.

The only products that I believe in are prescription strength products. These include:

• Advantage <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Revolution

• Frontline <--You can buy this online without a prescription.

• Comfortis

• ---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---

Metronidazole side effects? My Dog had a surgery Dec 9. The Doctor removed a tumor from his small intestine. He... (14131 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (10314 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (8682 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (13370 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (10537 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (8829 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (4464 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (10262 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (41448 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (12478 views)