Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7755 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (9884 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17026 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (10845 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (15649 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17827 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (10216 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (8920 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (17715 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7873 views)