Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8402 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (15078 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5621 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6476 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15538 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9381 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10062 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (21773 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9430 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (26797 views)