Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (29693 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (14361 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6798 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (29357 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (26068 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (12176 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (11102 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18639 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9970 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14971 views)