Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10111 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7575 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15150 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7829 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (16935 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (8811 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (16498 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (34250 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28900 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25957 views)