Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (24924 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (17509 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (37206 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (12537 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (5818 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (10676 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (7866 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (3890 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (5688 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (4860 views)