Breed dog on next heat?

Breed: Boxer
I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to know? Will the male know when to breed her?

Hi Helena and thanks for your question!

Hi there and thanks for your question. The following will give you some good information on breeding:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2084

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1595

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

These articles also talk about some of the ethical things to consider when breeding. Many breeds, in order to be bred responsibly should have hip certification and eye certification among other things done first.

I also always make sure that people are financially prepared when it comes time for breeding as many dogs will need a C-Section which could cost $1000-$2000.

Your girl will be fertile during her heat cycle at about 7-14 days after she starts to bleed. You shouldn't really need to do too much as she should allow the male to breed her when she is fertile.

Thanks for those excellent articles! This has told me a lot about how to breed my dog! I never thought about the possibility of a C-Section.

Hopefully we will have some puppies soon!

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (3654 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (3151 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (30580 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (49427 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (8009 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (7305 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (9954 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (11583 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (8645 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (5075 views)