Pitbull is itchy.

Breed: Pitbull/ Lab Mix
I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself. She bites and scratches so hard that she has lost most of the hair on her sides and her back legs. Sometimes she even scratches to the point where she bleeds. Her hair has gotten extremely oily, yet it seems like her skin is flaky. We had her to the vet twice and I believe all they gave her were antibiotics. The first set of pills seemed to help her, but then when she went off of them the problem developed again. We assumed she just needed more medication so we took her back and I think they gave her the same pills again. This time the scratching did not stop and she did not seem to grow any of her hair back. Ive tried to switch her food, but it didn't help. Im not sure if there maybe is a certain brand of food that will help her the best or not. Currently we have been putting salmon oil in the food she is on now which is purina one. We started that a few days ago, but she just keeps biting. I don't know if the salmon oil is enough to be giving her. Often she will lick at her paws too. Ive had to take her collar off of her because it seems to irritate her neck or will cause her to lose the hair on the front of her neck. Red spots also appear on her chest and underneath her and sometimes look scabby. After she gets a bath it seems the next day the oily hair and dry skin is back. Any help will be very much appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

Hi and thanks for your question!

Pitbulls often have skin problems. There can be many possible causes.

From what you have described she may have a skin infection that needs a longer course of antibiotics. Sometimes if we do a course of antibiotics that is not long enough then the infection comes back again. Some dogs need 6-8 weeks of consistent antibiotics in order to clear up a skin infection.

I have seen a number of pitbulls with generalized demodex which is a parasite that can contribute to skin infections. You may want to ask your vet about testing for demodex.

Is she on a good flea preventative? If I have a dog that is getting repeated skin infections I will always recommend a prescription strength flea product such as Frontline,Advantage, or Revolution. Some dogs are so sensitive to fleas that even one bite will set off skin problems and often we can't see the fleas.

Some dogs with serious skin problems have sarcoptic mange. Usually dogs with sarcoptic mange will be most affected behind the elbows and hocks and along the edges of their ears.

While allergies are possible, I don't think they are the only problem here. You may want to talk to your vet about prescribing a small dose of steroid to help with the itchiness along with the antibiotics.

My guess is though that she needs a longer course of antibiotics.

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (31864 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (21627 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (2747 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (4879 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (8528 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (3528 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (3183 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (4354 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (235773 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (31482 views)