Flea dirt around nipples?

Breed: Aegean we think
She is a 20 month old seemingly very healthy happy cat. There is a very good chance she's pregnant. I noticed her nipples we starting to get bigger a few weeks ago and today when I rubbed her belly I felt something crusty. Her nipples are getting crusty, which being a mom myself I understand could be a normal sign of lactating. The thing that's concerning me is most of her nipples have brownish spots around them. I've read that it could be from flea's. She did have a major flea episode a couple of months ago but she's in her second month of being treated with "Bayer Advantage II" flea treatment for cats over 9 pounds.
Is it possible this is from the old flea bites or could it be something else? She doesn't show any signs of having fleas now and my daughter has no new bites.(they sleep together at night). She had all her shots when she was a kitten, but I don't take either of the cats to the vet unless something is wrong because I have Multiple Sclerosis and my only income is Social Security disability. I can send you picture if you need me to.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

What you are describing certainly does make it sound like Gracie is pregnant!

I would love to see a photo of what you are describing. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

However, what you are describing sounds nothing like flea dirt. It would be unusual to see it around the nipples like this. I have seen some pregnant cats have a brown waxy debris around their nipples and on the abdomen and this can be totally normal.

If I remember right, Advantage and Advantage II are not labelled for use in pregnant cats. It's a tough call on what to do though. Most likely the product is safe for use in pregnancy, but the company has not done the testing to guarantee that it will be safe. Revolution is a product that is safe for use in pregnancy so it may be worthwhile to ask your vet for Revolution in order to continue Gracie's flea treatment throughout her pregnancy.

I look forward to seeing your photos. I will check in on your question in the morning.

I sent you 2 picture one of one of her nipples and one of her, as you will see her coat looks fine, I'm just worried about her nipples, I can't find the black dots anywhere else on her body. As far as using the flea treatment, she went into heat after her last treatment, but I'll get the other treatment for her for now. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the photos! Your girl looks like a sweetheart!

Here is the photo of the dirt around the nipple. I've cropped it to show just the important part:

dirt around cat's nipple

Now, keep in mind that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. What I can tell you though is that this is very unlikely to be anything to worry about. It doesn't look like flea dirt to me. I have seen a number of cats that get marks that look like this around their nipples and they are nothing to worry about.

If you feel that the area is itchy, red or bothersome to Gracie then I would have your vet look at her. But I will be surprised if that happens. Hope all goes well with her delivery!

Thank you very much. She has shown no signs of it bothering her at all. I found you during an internet search and decided the investment to ask the question worth it when I looked over your website. My gut told me she was ok, but she's by baby's baby and I just couldn't afford a vet visit right now. If I had to I'd borrow the money from my sister. You pretty much confirmed what my instincts were telling me and for that I'm grateful. Take care : )

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (16965 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10898 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5805 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9908 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11321 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22398 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8378 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5634 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (33296 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11333 views)