Connection between dandruff and diabetes?

Breed: Labrador retriever-C
My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x day. She is on a high fiber-low fat diet to maintain current weight. Her dog food is 7% fat 2-1/2 c. and 1/2c. of 9% fat daily trying to maintain her current weight( She had lost about 16lbs in about 4 months and was continuing to lose). She is also getting 2teas. of Salmon oil for her coat. She is shedding a lot and has dry flaky skin. My regular Vet attributes it to the Diabetes. What are your thoughts and what else can I do for her?
Thank You,
Dianne Fehl

Hi Dianne and thanks for your question!

It sounds like you are doing a very good job. It is sometimes hard to maintain a dog with diabetes.

I have seen a number of dogs with diabetes who have flaky skin. However, I usually find that once we have the diabetes well controlled with insulin the coat gets better.

Another thing you could ask your vet about is to test Mariah for hypothyroidism. This condition is very common in Labs and can cause flakiness in her skin. If she is hypothyroid most dogs are controlled quite well with medication.

Another thing to test for is to have your vet do a fecal exam to look for roundworms. It would be uncommon for a dog of this age to have roundworms but these parasites can be a cause of flaky skin.

And one other possibility is cushing's disease. Dogs with cushing's can have similar symptoms to dogs with diabetes (increase in thirst and urination and increased appetite) and can have skin problems as well. Hopefully it is not cushing's as it is often hard to manage a dog who has cushing's plus diabetes. The test for cushing's is a day long blood test that can be a little expensive. However, a less expensive screening test is the urine cortisol creatinine test which is relatively good in telling us if Cushing's is there.

I hope this helps!

Thank You Dr. Marie,
She was tested for hypothyroidism and kidney,liver problems,also fecal. All negative. I think also she has been tested for cortisol creatinine and no evidence of Cushing's but I will verify this with my Vet.
Thank You so much,
Dianne Fehl

It sounds like your vet is doing a very thorough job! If all of these things are normal then I am afraid there may not be much more you can do.

However, I am just thinking of a product we sell at our practice and the name escapes me right now. It is a topical product that you apply a few drops to the skin and it supposedly helps with a dry coat. I have not prescribed much of it but my employer sells lots of it.

I am on vacation this week but I will look up the name of it when I get back and then respond to you.

Hope all goes welL!

Thanks so much for the bonus Dianne! It is greatly appreciated! I'll let you know when I find out the name of that product. It certainly won't hurt to try it!

Hi there Dianne...the product that I was thinking of is called Dermoscent. You can see if your vet can order it in for you!

Hope all is well.

Thank you,Dr. Marie for the ame of that product. I will ask my Vet.
Dianne Fehl

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17393 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (15814 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (7393 views)

Coughing and not eating. I recently adopted Bell (female) and Sid (6 month old male from a local animal... (4996 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (11601 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26069 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (21157 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (9672 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (9726 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (10627 views)