UTI and straining.

Breed: domestic short haire
I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also received his rabies vaccination. He is not quite a year old. I took him to the vet yesterday. They found blood in his urine. He has a UTI. The vet gave him a shot of penicillin & I am to give him an antibiotic for 10 days - I think it is cephalexin - It's at work in the frig & I am home -it is a liquid & I give him two dropperfuls once a day. The cat is still urinating frequently - or at least trying. I can't tell if he is since he is outside. I had tamed him but needless to say he is not too happy with me right now. My question is how can I tell if it turns into a blockage? When should I start to see improvement? Are there things I should look for? I'm afraid he is going to get worse. Unfortunately, I have 4 dogs - so bringing him home is not an option. He's a very sweet guy & I am extremely worried about him!

Thank You,
Leigh Ann

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Mr. Piggy is having these problems. Urinary tract issues can be very difficult to deal with.

It is actually fairly uncommon for a cat to have a simple urinary tract infection. Usually there are some crystals or there may be a condition called interstitial cystitis which is causing inflammation in the bladder.

If you have not seen an improvement by now then unfortunately he needs to go back to the vet. If he is still trying to urinate frequently then this means there is something more serious going on. The vet will feel his abdomen and determine if he has a large bladder. (Sometimes you can feel this at home, but usually, if you are not used to feeling cat bladders it is difficult).

If he is blocked then he will need to stay in the hospital and have a catheter put in place. Unfortunately this can be quite expensive.

If he is not blocked your vet may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication. I have had good success using a medication called prazosin which helps with spasms in the urethra.

If he is not improved it is very important to take him back right away. If a cat is blocked for more than 12 hours or so they are at risk for death. Also, it is extremely painful.

I really hope he is ok!

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (9256 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (9992 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (14516 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (11729 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (27583 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (22657 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (8677 views)

Cost to take mouse to vet? About how much would it cost to take a mouse in for a check... (14665 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (16319 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7216 views)