UTI and straining.

Breed: domestic short haire
I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also received his rabies vaccination. He is not quite a year old. I took him to the vet yesterday. They found blood in his urine. He has a UTI. The vet gave him a shot of penicillin & I am to give him an antibiotic for 10 days - I think it is cephalexin - It's at work in the frig & I am home -it is a liquid & I give him two dropperfuls once a day. The cat is still urinating frequently - or at least trying. I can't tell if he is since he is outside. I had tamed him but needless to say he is not too happy with me right now. My question is how can I tell if it turns into a blockage? When should I start to see improvement? Are there things I should look for? I'm afraid he is going to get worse. Unfortunately, I have 4 dogs - so bringing him home is not an option. He's a very sweet guy & I am extremely worried about him!

Thank You,
Leigh Ann

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Mr. Piggy is having these problems. Urinary tract issues can be very difficult to deal with.

It is actually fairly uncommon for a cat to have a simple urinary tract infection. Usually there are some crystals or there may be a condition called interstitial cystitis which is causing inflammation in the bladder.

If you have not seen an improvement by now then unfortunately he needs to go back to the vet. If he is still trying to urinate frequently then this means there is something more serious going on. The vet will feel his abdomen and determine if he has a large bladder. (Sometimes you can feel this at home, but usually, if you are not used to feeling cat bladders it is difficult).

If he is blocked then he will need to stay in the hospital and have a catheter put in place. Unfortunately this can be quite expensive.

If he is not blocked your vet may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication. I have had good success using a medication called prazosin which helps with spasms in the urethra.

If he is not improved it is very important to take him back right away. If a cat is blocked for more than 12 hours or so they are at risk for death. Also, it is extremely painful.

I really hope he is ok!

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (5699 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (17157 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (23493 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (35022 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (6844 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (14301 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (4420 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (14167 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (8581 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (17690 views)