UTI and straining.

Breed: domestic short haire
I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also received his rabies vaccination. He is not quite a year old. I took him to the vet yesterday. They found blood in his urine. He has a UTI. The vet gave him a shot of penicillin & I am to give him an antibiotic for 10 days - I think it is cephalexin - It's at work in the frig & I am home -it is a liquid & I give him two dropperfuls once a day. The cat is still urinating frequently - or at least trying. I can't tell if he is since he is outside. I had tamed him but needless to say he is not too happy with me right now. My question is how can I tell if it turns into a blockage? When should I start to see improvement? Are there things I should look for? I'm afraid he is going to get worse. Unfortunately, I have 4 dogs - so bringing him home is not an option. He's a very sweet guy & I am extremely worried about him!

Thank You,
Leigh Ann

Related article:FLUTD - Urinary Tract Blockage in Cats.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Mr. Piggy is having these problems. Urinary tract issues can be very difficult to deal with.

It is actually fairly uncommon for a cat to have a simple urinary tract infection. Usually there are some crystals or there may be a condition called interstitial cystitis which is causing inflammation in the bladder.

If you have not seen an improvement by now then unfortunately he needs to go back to the vet. If he is still trying to urinate frequently then this means there is something more serious going on. The vet will feel his abdomen and determine if he has a large bladder. (Sometimes you can feel this at home, but usually, if you are not used to feeling cat bladders it is difficult).

If he is blocked then he will need to stay in the hospital and have a catheter put in place. Unfortunately this can be quite expensive.

If he is not blocked your vet may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication. I have had good success using a medication called prazosin which helps with spasms in the urethra.

If he is not improved it is very important to take him back right away. If a cat is blocked for more than 12 hours or so they are at risk for death. Also, it is extremely painful.

I really hope he is ok!

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (45106 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (11878 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5100 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (8228 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (5975 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (9056 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5723 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14067 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13834 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4955 views)