Magnesium level of food.

Breed: ASH
I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085% magnesium cat food. However that particular cat food is being discontinued. I have found a another cat food I like the magnesium level is .01%. Is that too low of a level for him? And is it too low of a level for the normal cat?

We actually don't worry about magnesium and ash levels any more. Back 10-15 years ago this was what we thought was important for cat foods, but there are many more factors to consider.

The most important thing is something called RSS - relative supersaturation. Unfortunately you will only find foods with good RSS levels sold in vet clinics.

If I have a patient with a history of urinary tract issues I always recommend them to stay on a food like Royal Canin s/o or Hill's c/d.

If your vet says it's ok then you can try going to a high quality food like Iams or Science Diet and this is ok for most cats.

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (38779 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (22518 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (7615 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (12027 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (10330 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (12668 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7003 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5119 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15273 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (9577 views)