Magnesium level of food.

Breed: ASH
I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085% magnesium cat food. However that particular cat food is being discontinued. I have found a another cat food I like the magnesium level is .01%. Is that too low of a level for him? And is it too low of a level for the normal cat?

We actually don't worry about magnesium and ash levels any more. Back 10-15 years ago this was what we thought was important for cat foods, but there are many more factors to consider.

The most important thing is something called RSS - relative supersaturation. Unfortunately you will only find foods with good RSS levels sold in vet clinics.

If I have a patient with a history of urinary tract issues I always recommend them to stay on a food like Royal Canin s/o or Hill's c/d.

If your vet says it's ok then you can try going to a high quality food like Iams or Science Diet and this is ok for most cats.

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (15361 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (4588 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (13998 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (20754 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (12762 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (11682 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (20098 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (7438 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (7595 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (8559 views)