Magnesium level of food.

Breed: ASH
I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085% magnesium cat food. However that particular cat food is being discontinued. I have found a another cat food I like the magnesium level is .01%. Is that too low of a level for him? And is it too low of a level for the normal cat?

We actually don't worry about magnesium and ash levels any more. Back 10-15 years ago this was what we thought was important for cat foods, but there are many more factors to consider.

The most important thing is something called RSS - relative supersaturation. Unfortunately you will only find foods with good RSS levels sold in vet clinics.

If I have a patient with a history of urinary tract issues I always recommend them to stay on a food like Royal Canin s/o or Hill's c/d.

If your vet says it's ok then you can try going to a high quality food like Iams or Science Diet and this is ok for most cats.

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (20600 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (7381 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (5856 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (8238 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (84598 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (12182 views)

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (10752 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (8320 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (6992 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting in kittens. Hello Marie, thanks in advance. (Sorry for the English we are from Finland)... (3684 views)