Magnesium level of food.

Breed: ASH
I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085% magnesium cat food. However that particular cat food is being discontinued. I have found a another cat food I like the magnesium level is .01%. Is that too low of a level for him? And is it too low of a level for the normal cat?

We actually don't worry about magnesium and ash levels any more. Back 10-15 years ago this was what we thought was important for cat foods, but there are many more factors to consider.

The most important thing is something called RSS - relative supersaturation. Unfortunately you will only find foods with good RSS levels sold in vet clinics.

If I have a patient with a history of urinary tract issues I always recommend them to stay on a food like Royal Canin s/o or Hill's c/d.

If your vet says it's ok then you can try going to a high quality food like Iams or Science Diet and this is ok for most cats.

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (10996 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (29791 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (27459 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (134423 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (22076 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (26510 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (100637 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (10805 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (7378 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (14987 views)