Magnesium level of food.

Breed: ASH
I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085% magnesium cat food. However that particular cat food is being discontinued. I have found a another cat food I like the magnesium level is .01%. Is that too low of a level for him? And is it too low of a level for the normal cat?

We actually don't worry about magnesium and ash levels any more. Back 10-15 years ago this was what we thought was important for cat foods, but there are many more factors to consider.

The most important thing is something called RSS - relative supersaturation. Unfortunately you will only find foods with good RSS levels sold in vet clinics.

If I have a patient with a history of urinary tract issues I always recommend them to stay on a food like Royal Canin s/o or Hill's c/d.

If your vet says it's ok then you can try going to a high quality food like Iams or Science Diet and this is ok for most cats.

Lumps on dog's neck. My dog keeps getting small red lumps on his body especially over the back of his... (11094 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (41721 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (7794 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26600 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15204 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5167 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18518 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15311 views)

Kitten with diarrhea. My cat is being lethargic her poop is runny she isnt eating much or drinking much... (6137 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4765 views)