Sore shoulder.

Breed: Maine Coon Cat
My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a little when i touch his shoulder blade of the left front leg. He is normally a very tough cat and can take a couple hug leaps. It is not a problem with his paw i think nor his actual leg. im pretty sure it is the shoulder.
He is outside right now he can run but he limps when he walks.

Sorry to hear the Mr.Whiskers is having a problem. By far the most common reason for an outdoor cat to be limping is an infection as a result of a cat bite or scratch. If this is the case you may notice the limp getting worse. Most of the time if there is an infection the cat will need oral antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that he has simply a soft tissue strain (like a pulled muscle). If this is the case then things should improve within 24-48 hours.

From what you have described, a fracture sounds unlikely, but if things are not improving within 24-48 hours then a vet visit will be necessary.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give to cats for pain.

I hope he is ok!

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (112843 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (10200 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (9455 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (10200 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (13810 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12899 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (24593 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (24600 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (21770 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (7546 views)