Sore shoulder.

Breed: Maine Coon Cat
My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a little when i touch his shoulder blade of the left front leg. He is normally a very tough cat and can take a couple hug leaps. It is not a problem with his paw i think nor his actual leg. im pretty sure it is the shoulder.
He is outside right now he can run but he limps when he walks.

Sorry to hear the Mr.Whiskers is having a problem. By far the most common reason for an outdoor cat to be limping is an infection as a result of a cat bite or scratch. If this is the case you may notice the limp getting worse. Most of the time if there is an infection the cat will need oral antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that he has simply a soft tissue strain (like a pulled muscle). If this is the case then things should improve within 24-48 hours.

From what you have described, a fracture sounds unlikely, but if things are not improving within 24-48 hours then a vet visit will be necessary.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give to cats for pain.

I hope he is ok!

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (3625 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (8332 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (34047 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (12836 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (18446 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (7037 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (14602 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (6772 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (5611 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (77211 views)