Sore shoulder.

Breed: Maine Coon Cat
My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a little when i touch his shoulder blade of the left front leg. He is normally a very tough cat and can take a couple hug leaps. It is not a problem with his paw i think nor his actual leg. im pretty sure it is the shoulder.
He is outside right now he can run but he limps when he walks.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear the Mr.Whiskers is having a problem. By far the most common reason for an outdoor cat to be limping is an infection as a result of a cat bite or scratch. If this is the case you may notice the limp getting worse. Most of the time if there is an infection the cat will need oral antibiotics prescribed by your veterinarian.

It is also possible that he has simply a soft tissue strain (like a pulled muscle). If this is the case then things should improve within 24-48 hours.

From what you have described, a fracture sounds unlikely, but if things are not improving within 24-48 hours then a vet visit will be necessary.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter medicine that is safe to give to cats for pain.

I hope he is ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (57360 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (7161 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (32686 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (7859 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (4435 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (7083 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (7748 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (3314 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (7299 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (187939 views)