Cataracts, thirst and lethargy.

Breed: pug
Hi Dr Marie,

I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed upon. I was told now, that these signs started showing @ months ago, adn there was no treatment given in order to prevent further damage.

She is 7yrs old, female, spayed.
Her signs and symptoms:

Both of her eyes have white caterax, blind looking spots. Her behavior has drasctically changed, excessive thirst,sweating, body feels warmer than usual to touch. Clumsy, walking into things, loss of weight, and not as playful. (not herself)
Looking into her eyes she seems a little frightened and it kills me to have only learned about her showing any of these signs.
My family cannot afford the vet-clinic charges and I cannot either. Do you have any advice, guidance, and or direction on what Sky's sickness is and how it be treated. Thank you so much!
look forward to hearing from you

all the best

ana

Hi Ana,

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is having these problems.

From what you have described I am really concerned about diabetes. This can cause the increase in thirst, the weight loss, the lethargy and especially the cataracts.

Diabetes can be treated but dogs always need insulin injections in order to do ok. Unfortunately, when a dog is diabetic they require a number of regular vet visits for tests and it can get quite expensive.

I can never make a diagnosis online, so I would highly advise a vet visit to discuss her problems with an in person vet.

If your family is not able to financial support a diabetic dog unfortunately we may need to make some hard decisions.

So sorry for the bad news.

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8240 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (15212 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (21926 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (8571 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (17151 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (8910 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (14595 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (12791 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (26720 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9300 views)