Cataracts, thirst and lethargy.

Breed: pug
Hi Dr Marie,

I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed upon. I was told now, that these signs started showing @ months ago, adn there was no treatment given in order to prevent further damage.

She is 7yrs old, female, spayed.
Her signs and symptoms:

Both of her eyes have white caterax, blind looking spots. Her behavior has drasctically changed, excessive thirst,sweating, body feels warmer than usual to touch. Clumsy, walking into things, loss of weight, and not as playful. (not herself)
Looking into her eyes she seems a little frightened and it kills me to have only learned about her showing any of these signs.
My family cannot afford the vet-clinic charges and I cannot either. Do you have any advice, guidance, and or direction on what Sky's sickness is and how it be treated. Thank you so much!
look forward to hearing from you

all the best

ana

Hi Ana,

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is having these problems.

From what you have described I am really concerned about diabetes. This can cause the increase in thirst, the weight loss, the lethargy and especially the cataracts.

Diabetes can be treated but dogs always need insulin injections in order to do ok. Unfortunately, when a dog is diabetic they require a number of regular vet visits for tests and it can get quite expensive.

I can never make a diagnosis online, so I would highly advise a vet visit to discuss her problems with an in person vet.

If your family is not able to financial support a diabetic dog unfortunately we may need to make some hard decisions.

So sorry for the bad news.

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8180 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (11678 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (20212 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (7121 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (52980 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (17078 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9925 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6180 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (26985 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18621 views)