Cataracts, thirst and lethargy.

Breed: pug
Hi Dr Marie,

I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed upon. I was told now, that these signs started showing @ months ago, adn there was no treatment given in order to prevent further damage.

She is 7yrs old, female, spayed.
Her signs and symptoms:

Both of her eyes have white caterax, blind looking spots. Her behavior has drasctically changed, excessive thirst,sweating, body feels warmer than usual to touch. Clumsy, walking into things, loss of weight, and not as playful. (not herself)
Looking into her eyes she seems a little frightened and it kills me to have only learned about her showing any of these signs.
My family cannot afford the vet-clinic charges and I cannot either. Do you have any advice, guidance, and or direction on what Sky's sickness is and how it be treated. Thank you so much!
look forward to hearing from you

all the best

ana

Hi Ana,

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is having these problems.

From what you have described I am really concerned about diabetes. This can cause the increase in thirst, the weight loss, the lethargy and especially the cataracts.

Diabetes can be treated but dogs always need insulin injections in order to do ok. Unfortunately, when a dog is diabetic they require a number of regular vet visits for tests and it can get quite expensive.

I can never make a diagnosis online, so I would highly advise a vet visit to discuss her problems with an in person vet.

If your family is not able to financial support a diabetic dog unfortunately we may need to make some hard decisions.

So sorry for the bad news.

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8577 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13752 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33897 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (10174 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15560 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8457 views)

Euthanized dog with megaesophagus. 3 days ago we had to put our dear dog Bailey to sleep:( he was diognosed with... (10935 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8676 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7737 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (15943 views)