Cataracts, thirst and lethargy.

Breed: pug
Hi Dr Marie,

I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed upon. I was told now, that these signs started showing @ months ago, adn there was no treatment given in order to prevent further damage.

She is 7yrs old, female, spayed.
Her signs and symptoms:

Both of her eyes have white caterax, blind looking spots. Her behavior has drasctically changed, excessive thirst,sweating, body feels warmer than usual to touch. Clumsy, walking into things, loss of weight, and not as playful. (not herself)
Looking into her eyes she seems a little frightened and it kills me to have only learned about her showing any of these signs.
My family cannot afford the vet-clinic charges and I cannot either. Do you have any advice, guidance, and or direction on what Sky's sickness is and how it be treated. Thank you so much!
look forward to hearing from you

all the best

ana

Hi Ana,

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is having these problems.

From what you have described I am really concerned about diabetes. This can cause the increase in thirst, the weight loss, the lethargy and especially the cataracts.

Diabetes can be treated but dogs always need insulin injections in order to do ok. Unfortunately, when a dog is diabetic they require a number of regular vet visits for tests and it can get quite expensive.

I can never make a diagnosis online, so I would highly advise a vet visit to discuss her problems with an in person vet.

If your family is not able to financial support a diabetic dog unfortunately we may need to make some hard decisions.

So sorry for the bad news.

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (6987 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10274 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (11575 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (6352 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (30689 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (6978 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (4668 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (5655 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (9776 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13004 views)