Cataracts, thirst and lethargy.

Breed: pug
Hi Dr Marie,

I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed upon. I was told now, that these signs started showing @ months ago, adn there was no treatment given in order to prevent further damage.

She is 7yrs old, female, spayed.
Her signs and symptoms:

Both of her eyes have white caterax, blind looking spots. Her behavior has drasctically changed, excessive thirst,sweating, body feels warmer than usual to touch. Clumsy, walking into things, loss of weight, and not as playful. (not herself)
Looking into her eyes she seems a little frightened and it kills me to have only learned about her showing any of these signs.
My family cannot afford the vet-clinic charges and I cannot either. Do you have any advice, guidance, and or direction on what Sky's sickness is and how it be treated. Thank you so much!
look forward to hearing from you

all the best

ana

Hi Ana,

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is having these problems.

From what you have described I am really concerned about diabetes. This can cause the increase in thirst, the weight loss, the lethargy and especially the cataracts.

Diabetes can be treated but dogs always need insulin injections in order to do ok. Unfortunately, when a dog is diabetic they require a number of regular vet visits for tests and it can get quite expensive.

I can never make a diagnosis online, so I would highly advise a vet visit to discuss her problems with an in person vet.

If your family is not able to financial support a diabetic dog unfortunately we may need to make some hard decisions.

So sorry for the bad news.

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (48492 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (9778 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8560 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (12809 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (19475 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (6622 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (11225 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (8648 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (46987 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (129518 views)