Diarrhea with blood

Breed: Springer span
Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be happy but I am not sure what to do. Tonight he had some blood in his stool.

Hi Donna and thanks for your question! I just have a few questions for you before I answer...

Is Marley eating ok?
Have you changed his food or given him any new treats lately?
Is he vomiting at all?
Does he have any health problems that you know of?

Marley has eaten a little less than normal today. I don't think we changed his food but he did have a pig's ear yesterday! Do you think he maybe has food poisoning from the ear? I told my husband not to give it but he did anyways. No vomiting.

OK, thanks for that info!

I don't usually get too excited about blood in a dog's stool. In dogs and cats it only takes a little bit of inflammation to cause bleeding in the colon.

Most likely the pig's ear is the culprit. However it is not likely to be anything serious.

The best thing you can do is give him a period of 24 hours with no food and follow this with small meals of chicken and rice. After a couple of days you can start to reintroduce his regular food. During this time make sure he has no treats or other food at all!

If this is a mild intestinal upset (colitis) he should be back to normal in 24-48 hours. If you think he is getting much worse then a vet visit is a good idea.

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

I just wanted to let you know that Marley seems to be back to normal today. Thanks so much for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (19812 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5613 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7266 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (11022 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6178 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22016 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16541 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9015 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14998 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15592 views)