Diarrhea with blood

Breed: Springer span
Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be happy but I am not sure what to do. Tonight he had some blood in his stool.

Hi Donna and thanks for your question! I just have a few questions for you before I answer...

Is Marley eating ok?
Have you changed his food or given him any new treats lately?
Is he vomiting at all?
Does he have any health problems that you know of?

Marley has eaten a little less than normal today. I don't think we changed his food but he did have a pig's ear yesterday! Do you think he maybe has food poisoning from the ear? I told my husband not to give it but he did anyways. No vomiting.

OK, thanks for that info!

I don't usually get too excited about blood in a dog's stool. In dogs and cats it only takes a little bit of inflammation to cause bleeding in the colon.

Most likely the pig's ear is the culprit. However it is not likely to be anything serious.

The best thing you can do is give him a period of 24 hours with no food and follow this with small meals of chicken and rice. After a couple of days you can start to reintroduce his regular food. During this time make sure he has no treats or other food at all!

If this is a mild intestinal upset (colitis) he should be back to normal in 24-48 hours. If you think he is getting much worse then a vet visit is a good idea.

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

I just wanted to let you know that Marley seems to be back to normal today. Thanks so much for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (24514 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (70652 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9943 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13245 views)

Increased appetite and hair loss. My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she... (6534 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7755 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15732 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18329 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6659 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (8079 views)