Diarrhea with blood

Breed: Springer span
Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be happy but I am not sure what to do. Tonight he had some blood in his stool.

Hi Donna and thanks for your question! I just have a few questions for you before I answer...

Is Marley eating ok?
Have you changed his food or given him any new treats lately?
Is he vomiting at all?
Does he have any health problems that you know of?

Marley has eaten a little less than normal today. I don't think we changed his food but he did have a pig's ear yesterday! Do you think he maybe has food poisoning from the ear? I told my husband not to give it but he did anyways. No vomiting.

OK, thanks for that info!

I don't usually get too excited about blood in a dog's stool. In dogs and cats it only takes a little bit of inflammation to cause bleeding in the colon.

Most likely the pig's ear is the culprit. However it is not likely to be anything serious.

The best thing you can do is give him a period of 24 hours with no food and follow this with small meals of chicken and rice. After a couple of days you can start to reintroduce his regular food. During this time make sure he has no treats or other food at all!

If this is a mild intestinal upset (colitis) he should be back to normal in 24-48 hours. If you think he is getting much worse then a vet visit is a good idea.

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

I just wanted to let you know that Marley seems to be back to normal today. Thanks so much for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (15661 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (13004 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (34440 views)

Albendazole for puppy? Long story short my little over 3 month old puppy has Giardia. Sidenote: she goes... (12467 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (17841 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (17890 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (10705 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (7986 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (9066 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (21487 views)