Diarrhea with blood

Breed: Springer span
Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be happy but I am not sure what to do. Tonight he had some blood in his stool.

Hi Donna and thanks for your question! I just have a few questions for you before I answer...

Is Marley eating ok?
Have you changed his food or given him any new treats lately?
Is he vomiting at all?
Does he have any health problems that you know of?

Marley has eaten a little less than normal today. I don't think we changed his food but he did have a pig's ear yesterday! Do you think he maybe has food poisoning from the ear? I told my husband not to give it but he did anyways. No vomiting.

OK, thanks for that info!

I don't usually get too excited about blood in a dog's stool. In dogs and cats it only takes a little bit of inflammation to cause bleeding in the colon.

Most likely the pig's ear is the culprit. However it is not likely to be anything serious.

The best thing you can do is give him a period of 24 hours with no food and follow this with small meals of chicken and rice. After a couple of days you can start to reintroduce his regular food. During this time make sure he has no treats or other food at all!

If this is a mild intestinal upset (colitis) he should be back to normal in 24-48 hours. If you think he is getting much worse then a vet visit is a good idea.

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

I just wanted to let you know that Marley seems to be back to normal today. Thanks so much for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (21114 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (11570 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (10800 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (27738 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (7915 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (5261 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (47163 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (8575 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (20720 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (20489 views)