Diarrhea with blood

Breed: Springer span
Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be happy but I am not sure what to do. Tonight he had some blood in his stool.

Hi Donna and thanks for your question! I just have a few questions for you before I answer...

Is Marley eating ok?
Have you changed his food or given him any new treats lately?
Is he vomiting at all?
Does he have any health problems that you know of?

Marley has eaten a little less than normal today. I don't think we changed his food but he did have a pig's ear yesterday! Do you think he maybe has food poisoning from the ear? I told my husband not to give it but he did anyways. No vomiting.

OK, thanks for that info!

I don't usually get too excited about blood in a dog's stool. In dogs and cats it only takes a little bit of inflammation to cause bleeding in the colon.

Most likely the pig's ear is the culprit. However it is not likely to be anything serious.

The best thing you can do is give him a period of 24 hours with no food and follow this with small meals of chicken and rice. After a couple of days you can start to reintroduce his regular food. During this time make sure he has no treats or other food at all!

If this is a mild intestinal upset (colitis) he should be back to normal in 24-48 hours. If you think he is getting much worse then a vet visit is a good idea.

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

I just wanted to let you know that Marley seems to be back to normal today. Thanks so much for your help!

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (36256 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (14143 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (4337 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (5740 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (7616 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (4658 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (33057 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (10886 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (7812 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (13983 views)