vet question

Breed: Collie X Border Coll
Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on 12 in November. I know that's old for a dog.

My mum took her to the vet and he did a blood test and he suspects Lassie may have cushing's disease but she hasn't shown any signs of the disease. I was wondering how long can a dog live with cushing's and also what is the cost of treatment in Australia.

Thanks so much! Kim.

Thanks so much for your question Kim. Cushing's is a condition that can be hard to explain but I'll do my best to give you some ideas about Lassie.

First of all, I don't tend to treat cushing's unless there are clinical signs. These signs include a really high thirst and urination as well as an increase in appetite. As the disease progresses we see a large abdomen, skin issues and more.

If your dog is not showing any of these signs, it is possible that what your vet saw was an increase in something called the alkaline phosphatase level. Many times a dog with a high ALP will have cushing's but sometimes it can be a sign of something else. I have found that some older dogs have high ALP and we can't figure out why.

Another possibility is if your vet diagnosed cushing's with a urine test. If this test is high it CAN mean cushing's but sometimes other things will cause an increase.

Has your vet done a low dose dexamethasone suppression test? This is the test we most commonly use to diagnose cushing's. If this test is conclusive then cushing's is very likely.

There are several treatments but they can be costly. It is hard to say for certain what the costs are but the main costs are in the routine bloodwork that must be run, especially in the first few months.

I hope this information helps!

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (12525 views)

Cat licking at belly. My Cat has been licking and cleaning her abdomen untill she as removed most of the... (8760 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (22417 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (15761 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (42071 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (22028 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (10009 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (34578 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (6237 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (37566 views)