vet question

Breed: Collie X Border Coll
Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on 12 in November. I know that's old for a dog.

My mum took her to the vet and he did a blood test and he suspects Lassie may have cushing's disease but she hasn't shown any signs of the disease. I was wondering how long can a dog live with cushing's and also what is the cost of treatment in Australia.

Thanks so much! Kim.

Thanks so much for your question Kim. Cushing's is a condition that can be hard to explain but I'll do my best to give you some ideas about Lassie.

First of all, I don't tend to treat cushing's unless there are clinical signs. These signs include a really high thirst and urination as well as an increase in appetite. As the disease progresses we see a large abdomen, skin issues and more.

If your dog is not showing any of these signs, it is possible that what your vet saw was an increase in something called the alkaline phosphatase level. Many times a dog with a high ALP will have cushing's but sometimes it can be a sign of something else. I have found that some older dogs have high ALP and we can't figure out why.

Another possibility is if your vet diagnosed cushing's with a urine test. If this test is high it CAN mean cushing's but sometimes other things will cause an increase.

Has your vet done a low dose dexamethasone suppression test? This is the test we most commonly use to diagnose cushing's. If this test is conclusive then cushing's is very likely.

There are several treatments but they can be costly. It is hard to say for certain what the costs are but the main costs are in the routine bloodwork that must be run, especially in the first few months.

I hope this information helps!

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12634 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9813 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (271765 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (54977 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (11302 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (69019 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7445 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (18775 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9337 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15258 views)