vet question

Breed: Collie X Border Coll
Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on 12 in November. I know that's old for a dog.

My mum took her to the vet and he did a blood test and he suspects Lassie may have cushing's disease but she hasn't shown any signs of the disease. I was wondering how long can a dog live with cushing's and also what is the cost of treatment in Australia.

Thanks so much! Kim.

Thanks so much for your question Kim. Cushing's is a condition that can be hard to explain but I'll do my best to give you some ideas about Lassie.

First of all, I don't tend to treat cushing's unless there are clinical signs. These signs include a really high thirst and urination as well as an increase in appetite. As the disease progresses we see a large abdomen, skin issues and more.

If your dog is not showing any of these signs, it is possible that what your vet saw was an increase in something called the alkaline phosphatase level. Many times a dog with a high ALP will have cushing's but sometimes it can be a sign of something else. I have found that some older dogs have high ALP and we can't figure out why.

Another possibility is if your vet diagnosed cushing's with a urine test. If this test is high it CAN mean cushing's but sometimes other things will cause an increase.

Has your vet done a low dose dexamethasone suppression test? This is the test we most commonly use to diagnose cushing's. If this test is conclusive then cushing's is very likely.

There are several treatments but they can be costly. It is hard to say for certain what the costs are but the main costs are in the routine bloodwork that must be run, especially in the first few months.

I hope this information helps!

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (8054 views)

Constipated cat. For the past 2 weeks or so, my cat has been having some constipation. I think it... (18456 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (6193 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (16492 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (8049 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7296 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5388 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (17665 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (16719 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5830 views)