vet question

Breed: Collie X Border Coll
Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on 12 in November. I know that's old for a dog.

My mum took her to the vet and he did a blood test and he suspects Lassie may have cushing's disease but she hasn't shown any signs of the disease. I was wondering how long can a dog live with cushing's and also what is the cost of treatment in Australia.

Thanks so much! Kim.

Thanks so much for your question Kim. Cushing's is a condition that can be hard to explain but I'll do my best to give you some ideas about Lassie.

First of all, I don't tend to treat cushing's unless there are clinical signs. These signs include a really high thirst and urination as well as an increase in appetite. As the disease progresses we see a large abdomen, skin issues and more.

If your dog is not showing any of these signs, it is possible that what your vet saw was an increase in something called the alkaline phosphatase level. Many times a dog with a high ALP will have cushing's but sometimes it can be a sign of something else. I have found that some older dogs have high ALP and we can't figure out why.

Another possibility is if your vet diagnosed cushing's with a urine test. If this test is high it CAN mean cushing's but sometimes other things will cause an increase.

Has your vet done a low dose dexamethasone suppression test? This is the test we most commonly use to diagnose cushing's. If this test is conclusive then cushing's is very likely.

There are several treatments but they can be costly. It is hard to say for certain what the costs are but the main costs are in the routine bloodwork that must be run, especially in the first few months.

I hope this information helps!

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (7700 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (16519 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (54802 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (22093 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (9412 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (23663 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (105898 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (54224 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (14994 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (9613 views)