Is it ok to shave a cat?

Breed: Siamese Cross/ Domes

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to you.

I have just adopted a Siamese Cross/ Domestic Shorthair cat. She was from the streets.

I would like to know if it is humane/ comfortable for the cat to have her shaved by the groomers (possibly lion cut). Singapore is summer throughout the year and is at 30’C/86’F every day.

She is aggressive towards my 2 other male cats (she has been spayed 2 weeks ago) and therefore will stay in my bedroom for now.

I admit that I would like to have her shaved to reduce the shedding. I am also allergic to cats, but I know that shaving will not remove the dander.

I did a google search and most people think it is cruel to have a DSH shaved as “their fur is there for a reason” and that they will get upset when they feel “something is missing”.

Please kindly advise on this. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica Lu
Singapore

Hi Jessica,

It's good to hear from you again. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable with your other cats soon. It can often take a few weeks.

I think it is perfectly ok to have your cat shaved. I do find that cats look pretty odd when shaved, but if it accomplishes the goal of having less fur around the house then this is good.

I used to own a persian cat and we would shave him at least once a year. The reason for this is that he did not enjoy brushing and if we didn't brush him he would end up with matts. When we shaved Albert he was like a new cat...not upset at all! He would prance around the house and although he looked very silly with his haircut he felt great!

My main concern with shaving a cat is that if they are spending a lot of time outdoors there could be risk for sunburn. This is mostly a concern in a light colored cat. However, cats are usually pretty good at finding shade.

I hope that helps!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will find a chance to bring her to the pet groomers, should I wish to get her shaved.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (10076 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7431 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (19474 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9261 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (27876 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (21787 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9786 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (54965 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10710 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (15464 views)