Is it ok to shave a cat?

Breed: Siamese Cross/ Domes

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to you.

I have just adopted a Siamese Cross/ Domestic Shorthair cat. She was from the streets.

I would like to know if it is humane/ comfortable for the cat to have her shaved by the groomers (possibly lion cut). Singapore is summer throughout the year and is at 30’C/86’F every day.

She is aggressive towards my 2 other male cats (she has been spayed 2 weeks ago) and therefore will stay in my bedroom for now.

I admit that I would like to have her shaved to reduce the shedding. I am also allergic to cats, but I know that shaving will not remove the dander.

I did a google search and most people think it is cruel to have a DSH shaved as “their fur is there for a reason” and that they will get upset when they feel “something is missing”.

Please kindly advise on this. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica Lu
Singapore

Hi Jessica,

It's good to hear from you again. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable with your other cats soon. It can often take a few weeks.

I think it is perfectly ok to have your cat shaved. I do find that cats look pretty odd when shaved, but if it accomplishes the goal of having less fur around the house then this is good.

I used to own a persian cat and we would shave him at least once a year. The reason for this is that he did not enjoy brushing and if we didn't brush him he would end up with matts. When we shaved Albert he was like a new cat...not upset at all! He would prance around the house and although he looked very silly with his haircut he felt great!

My main concern with shaving a cat is that if they are spending a lot of time outdoors there could be risk for sunburn. This is mostly a concern in a light colored cat. However, cats are usually pretty good at finding shade.

I hope that helps!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will find a chance to bring her to the pet groomers, should I wish to get her shaved.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (24588 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (12618 views)

Puppy has diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday... (25861 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (7982 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (9139 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (9593 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (9771 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (20238 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (15510 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20567 views)