Is it ok to shave a cat?

Breed: Siamese Cross/ Domes

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to you.

I have just adopted a Siamese Cross/ Domestic Shorthair cat. She was from the streets.

I would like to know if it is humane/ comfortable for the cat to have her shaved by the groomers (possibly lion cut). Singapore is summer throughout the year and is at 30’C/86’F every day.

She is aggressive towards my 2 other male cats (she has been spayed 2 weeks ago) and therefore will stay in my bedroom for now.

I admit that I would like to have her shaved to reduce the shedding. I am also allergic to cats, but I know that shaving will not remove the dander.

I did a google search and most people think it is cruel to have a DSH shaved as “their fur is there for a reason” and that they will get upset when they feel “something is missing”.

Please kindly advise on this. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica Lu
Singapore

Hi Jessica,

It's good to hear from you again. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable with your other cats soon. It can often take a few weeks.

I think it is perfectly ok to have your cat shaved. I do find that cats look pretty odd when shaved, but if it accomplishes the goal of having less fur around the house then this is good.

I used to own a persian cat and we would shave him at least once a year. The reason for this is that he did not enjoy brushing and if we didn't brush him he would end up with matts. When we shaved Albert he was like a new cat...not upset at all! He would prance around the house and although he looked very silly with his haircut he felt great!

My main concern with shaving a cat is that if they are spending a lot of time outdoors there could be risk for sunburn. This is mostly a concern in a light colored cat. However, cats are usually pretty good at finding shade.

I hope that helps!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will find a chance to bring her to the pet groomers, should I wish to get her shaved.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (8364 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11314 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (21693 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (11293 views)

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (11181 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23859 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7454 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6366 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9198 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (5482 views)