Is it ok to shave a cat?

Breed: Siamese Cross/ Domes

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to you.

I have just adopted a Siamese Cross/ Domestic Shorthair cat. She was from the streets.

I would like to know if it is humane/ comfortable for the cat to have her shaved by the groomers (possibly lion cut). Singapore is summer throughout the year and is at 30’C/86’F every day.

She is aggressive towards my 2 other male cats (she has been spayed 2 weeks ago) and therefore will stay in my bedroom for now.

I admit that I would like to have her shaved to reduce the shedding. I am also allergic to cats, but I know that shaving will not remove the dander.

I did a google search and most people think it is cruel to have a DSH shaved as “their fur is there for a reason” and that they will get upset when they feel “something is missing”.

Please kindly advise on this. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica Lu
Singapore

Hi Jessica,

It's good to hear from you again. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable with your other cats soon. It can often take a few weeks.

I think it is perfectly ok to have your cat shaved. I do find that cats look pretty odd when shaved, but if it accomplishes the goal of having less fur around the house then this is good.

I used to own a persian cat and we would shave him at least once a year. The reason for this is that he did not enjoy brushing and if we didn't brush him he would end up with matts. When we shaved Albert he was like a new cat...not upset at all! He would prance around the house and although he looked very silly with his haircut he felt great!

My main concern with shaving a cat is that if they are spending a lot of time outdoors there could be risk for sunburn. This is mostly a concern in a light colored cat. However, cats are usually pretty good at finding shade.

I hope that helps!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will find a chance to bring her to the pet groomers, should I wish to get her shaved.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8225 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (16467 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14296 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8932 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (14490 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15477 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (57047 views)

ACTH Stim my dog went for acht testing on friday to look for addisons disease te vet isnt in... (8150 views)

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7597 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (19802 views)