Is it ok to shave a cat?

Breed: Siamese Cross/ Domes

Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to you.

I have just adopted a Siamese Cross/ Domestic Shorthair cat. She was from the streets.

I would like to know if it is humane/ comfortable for the cat to have her shaved by the groomers (possibly lion cut). Singapore is summer throughout the year and is at 30’C/86’F every day.

She is aggressive towards my 2 other male cats (she has been spayed 2 weeks ago) and therefore will stay in my bedroom for now.

I admit that I would like to have her shaved to reduce the shedding. I am also allergic to cats, but I know that shaving will not remove the dander.

I did a google search and most people think it is cruel to have a DSH shaved as “their fur is there for a reason” and that they will get upset when they feel “something is missing”.

Please kindly advise on this. Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica Lu
Singapore

Hi Jessica,

It's good to hear from you again. Congrats on your new addition! Hopefully she will start to feel more comfortable with your other cats soon. It can often take a few weeks.

I think it is perfectly ok to have your cat shaved. I do find that cats look pretty odd when shaved, but if it accomplishes the goal of having less fur around the house then this is good.

I used to own a persian cat and we would shave him at least once a year. The reason for this is that he did not enjoy brushing and if we didn't brush him he would end up with matts. When we shaved Albert he was like a new cat...not upset at all! He would prance around the house and although he looked very silly with his haircut he felt great!

My main concern with shaving a cat is that if they are spending a lot of time outdoors there could be risk for sunburn. This is mostly a concern in a light colored cat. However, cats are usually pretty good at finding shade.

I hope that helps!

Dear Dr. Marie,

Thank you for your kind reply. I will find a chance to bring her to the pet groomers, should I wish to get her shaved.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica
Singapore

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (14065 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (26857 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (124964 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (13991 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (47577 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (7688 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (10689 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (12715 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (10110 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (21314 views)