Guinea pig noises.

Breed: Guinea pig-abyssinia
Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes chirping noises. At first, i thought she wanted food, but when i went back to check, her food bowl is filled and there is still hay left. Theres also water in her water bottle. Sometimes, she makes that sound for no reason at all! I think it sounds really cute but i really wanted to know why she made that sound. Like, is she scared or stressed or is it a sound to let me know she wants something? Also, my guinea pig seems really scared when i try to pick her up. Like when i take her out of her cage and place her on my lap or on the floor, she doesn't dare to move at all! I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to make my guinea pig less afraid of me and let her know that i won't harm her?

jamie:):):)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I absolutely love hearing guinea pigs chirp and make noise!

This is a sound that most guinea pigs will make to indicate that they are happy. But there are other possible reasons for guinea pigs to make sounds. Here is a great website with audio files of piggie sounds:

Guinea Pig Sounds

Regarding your second question, many guinea pigs will "freeze" when scared. So, this may be why she is not moving when you take her out of her cage. The best thing you can do to help her feel more comfortable is to repeatedly handle her gently. Make sure the room is quiet. Also try offering her treats when you are handling her.

I hope this helps!

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (73022 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32319 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10538 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (8983 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10057 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (31626 views)

Patches of fur loss. My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck... (10802 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7610 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (14056 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (23905 views)