Guinea pig noises.

Breed: Guinea pig-abyssinia
Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes chirping noises. At first, i thought she wanted food, but when i went back to check, her food bowl is filled and there is still hay left. Theres also water in her water bottle. Sometimes, she makes that sound for no reason at all! I think it sounds really cute but i really wanted to know why she made that sound. Like, is she scared or stressed or is it a sound to let me know she wants something? Also, my guinea pig seems really scared when i try to pick her up. Like when i take her out of her cage and place her on my lap or on the floor, she doesn't dare to move at all! I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to make my guinea pig less afraid of me and let her know that i won't harm her?

jamie:):):)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I absolutely love hearing guinea pigs chirp and make noise!

This is a sound that most guinea pigs will make to indicate that they are happy. But there are other possible reasons for guinea pigs to make sounds. Here is a great website with audio files of piggie sounds:

Guinea Pig Sounds

Regarding your second question, many guinea pigs will "freeze" when scared. So, this may be why she is not moving when you take her out of her cage. The best thing you can do to help her feel more comfortable is to repeatedly handle her gently. Make sure the room is quiet. Also try offering her treats when you are handling her.

I hope this helps!

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20185 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12563 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8118 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (35223 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16269 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6858 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (7644 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8681 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9640 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11628 views)