Guinea pig noises.

Breed: Guinea pig-abyssinia
Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes chirping noises. At first, i thought she wanted food, but when i went back to check, her food bowl is filled and there is still hay left. Theres also water in her water bottle. Sometimes, she makes that sound for no reason at all! I think it sounds really cute but i really wanted to know why she made that sound. Like, is she scared or stressed or is it a sound to let me know she wants something? Also, my guinea pig seems really scared when i try to pick her up. Like when i take her out of her cage and place her on my lap or on the floor, she doesn't dare to move at all! I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to make my guinea pig less afraid of me and let her know that i won't harm her?

jamie:):):)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I absolutely love hearing guinea pigs chirp and make noise!

This is a sound that most guinea pigs will make to indicate that they are happy. But there are other possible reasons for guinea pigs to make sounds. Here is a great website with audio files of piggie sounds:

Guinea Pig Sounds

Regarding your second question, many guinea pigs will "freeze" when scared. So, this may be why she is not moving when you take her out of her cage. The best thing you can do to help her feel more comfortable is to repeatedly handle her gently. Make sure the room is quiet. Also try offering her treats when you are handling her.

I hope this helps!

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8066 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11765 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (12829 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (43425 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (17829 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (19798 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (11236 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (246736 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (16044 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (9175 views)