Guinea pig noises.

Breed: Guinea pig-abyssinia
Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes chirping noises. At first, i thought she wanted food, but when i went back to check, her food bowl is filled and there is still hay left. Theres also water in her water bottle. Sometimes, she makes that sound for no reason at all! I think it sounds really cute but i really wanted to know why she made that sound. Like, is she scared or stressed or is it a sound to let me know she wants something? Also, my guinea pig seems really scared when i try to pick her up. Like when i take her out of her cage and place her on my lap or on the floor, she doesn't dare to move at all! I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do to make my guinea pig less afraid of me and let her know that i won't harm her?

jamie:):):)

Hi and thanks for a great question!

I absolutely love hearing guinea pigs chirp and make noise!

This is a sound that most guinea pigs will make to indicate that they are happy. But there are other possible reasons for guinea pigs to make sounds. Here is a great website with audio files of piggie sounds:

Guinea Pig Sounds

Regarding your second question, many guinea pigs will "freeze" when scared. So, this may be why she is not moving when you take her out of her cage. The best thing you can do to help her feel more comfortable is to repeatedly handle her gently. Make sure the room is quiet. Also try offering her treats when you are handling her.

I hope this helps!

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (4330 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (4916 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (5895 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (7504 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (25626 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (13726 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (9045 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (20131 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (14789 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (7793 views)