Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11119 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (6562 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7243 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (24331 views)

Bald spot on maltese. I just noticed a bald spot about the size of 2 half dollars on my Maltese right... (16361 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (9911 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (14775 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (9866 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8527 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (16229 views)