Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17043 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (17518 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14911 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (7798 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11523 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (34534 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (9003 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (12817 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (7701 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (11564 views)