Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (45751 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15187 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9768 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (19863 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (90229 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (14161 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (49487 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8628 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6763 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7131 views)