Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (15854 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (42049 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (10931 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (16954 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (13155 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (9912 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18960 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (10813 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (26210 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (19396 views)