Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6856 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (7352 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (18031 views)

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (19393 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (18542 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (8030 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (36106 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (13674 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13898 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (18766 views)