Dog walking in circles

Breed: american spitz
my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when he does stand he just falls to the ground, he is walking sideways hes breathing really fast and is very weak do you know what this could be hes also walking around in circles

Oh dear it sounds like Reno is having some problems.

There are a few things that can cause symptoms like this. I am wondering though if he may have something called geriatric vestibular disease. The good news is that if this is what he has, then most dogs will recover. It may take a few days to a few weeks for him to totally recover.

We don't know why dogs get vestibular syndrome. It is similar to a stroke but usually not as devastating.

Some dogs can have these symptoms because of a brain tumor as well which would not be as good. It's also possible that he has an abdominal tumor such as a spleen tumor that has ruptured and is bleeding into his abdomen. If this is the case then the sudden blood loss from the circulation can cause extreme wobbliness.

However, the walking in circles is very typical of vestibular syndrome. It is a good idea to have your vet take a look to see if there is something they can do to help. Many dogs with vestibular syndrome will be nauseous so your vet can prescribe an anti-nausea medication for you.

I hope he is ok!

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (13991 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (11342 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (89343 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (86707 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (21892 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (17037 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (10355 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (10604 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (9505 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (10708 views)