Bald itchy spots on a dog.

Breed: Poodle, Pomeranian,
Hi,

I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different objects at home. Today I had him fully groomed as see bald pink spots with flaky brown around it. He has one large and two little spots on completely different places of his back. I will send pictures too. I can't take him to his vet until next week but will call out of work if it looks serious. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me these photos:

bald spots on dog

I've zoomed in on this one:

bald spot on a dog

This is a tough call to make over the internet as there are several possibilities here. It's possible that these are just nothing to worry about at all. If they don't seem to be itchy then I'd keep an eye on them and they may just get better on their own.

However, you mentioned that he is rubbing his back on objects at home. If you think that he is trying to scratch these spots then it means that there may be something going on that we need to treat. My first thought is that these are small areas of localized infection. The most common cause would be a staph infection. This is most common in dogs that have gone swimming, but you can see it on any dog, even if they are not swimmers. If this is a staph infection then he will likely need antibiotics either in pill form or by injection from the vet. It's not something that you need to urgently rush in for and likely you are ok to wait until next week unless they seem to be getting dramatically worse.

There are some less common possibilities such as ringworm or other fungal infections but I think that these would be unlikely.

A topical cream like neosporin or polysporin could possibly help take some of the itch away but usually these creams are not strong enough to cure a bacterial infection. I think if this were my dog I would do nothing for now other than keep an eye on the spots and then if they are getting bothersome...or, if they have not gone away in a few days then I would have the vet check him out.

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9455 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14380 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (8991 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9894 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (9572 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (14252 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12519 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (10016 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (14601 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17875 views)