Bald itchy spots on a dog.

Breed: Poodle, Pomeranian,
Hi,

I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different objects at home. Today I had him fully groomed as see bald pink spots with flaky brown around it. He has one large and two little spots on completely different places of his back. I will send pictures too. I can't take him to his vet until next week but will call out of work if it looks serious. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me these photos:

bald spots on dog

I've zoomed in on this one:

bald spot on a dog

This is a tough call to make over the internet as there are several possibilities here. It's possible that these are just nothing to worry about at all. If they don't seem to be itchy then I'd keep an eye on them and they may just get better on their own.

However, you mentioned that he is rubbing his back on objects at home. If you think that he is trying to scratch these spots then it means that there may be something going on that we need to treat. My first thought is that these are small areas of localized infection. The most common cause would be a staph infection. This is most common in dogs that have gone swimming, but you can see it on any dog, even if they are not swimmers. If this is a staph infection then he will likely need antibiotics either in pill form or by injection from the vet. It's not something that you need to urgently rush in for and likely you are ok to wait until next week unless they seem to be getting dramatically worse.

There are some less common possibilities such as ringworm or other fungal infections but I think that these would be unlikely.

A topical cream like neosporin or polysporin could possibly help take some of the itch away but usually these creams are not strong enough to cure a bacterial infection. I think if this were my dog I would do nothing for now other than keep an eye on the spots and then if they are getting bothersome...or, if they have not gone away in a few days then I would have the vet check him out.

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (10598 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7819 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10414 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7821 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6862 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (10174 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (69061 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30291 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (9571 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (30957 views)