Bald itchy spots on a dog.

Breed: Poodle, Pomeranian,
Hi,

I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different objects at home. Today I had him fully groomed as see bald pink spots with flaky brown around it. He has one large and two little spots on completely different places of his back. I will send pictures too. I can't take him to his vet until next week but will call out of work if it looks serious. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me these photos:

bald spots on dog

I've zoomed in on this one:

bald spot on a dog

This is a tough call to make over the internet as there are several possibilities here. It's possible that these are just nothing to worry about at all. If they don't seem to be itchy then I'd keep an eye on them and they may just get better on their own.

However, you mentioned that he is rubbing his back on objects at home. If you think that he is trying to scratch these spots then it means that there may be something going on that we need to treat. My first thought is that these are small areas of localized infection. The most common cause would be a staph infection. This is most common in dogs that have gone swimming, but you can see it on any dog, even if they are not swimmers. If this is a staph infection then he will likely need antibiotics either in pill form or by injection from the vet. It's not something that you need to urgently rush in for and likely you are ok to wait until next week unless they seem to be getting dramatically worse.

There are some less common possibilities such as ringworm or other fungal infections but I think that these would be unlikely.

A topical cream like neosporin or polysporin could possibly help take some of the itch away but usually these creams are not strong enough to cure a bacterial infection. I think if this were my dog I would do nothing for now other than keep an eye on the spots and then if they are getting bothersome...or, if they have not gone away in a few days then I would have the vet check him out.

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22020 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5149 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (5218 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4713 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13762 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (6952 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6673 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4810 views)

Peeing outside of box. Hi Dr Marie, My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was... (8501 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (9633 views)