Bald itchy spots on a dog.

Breed: Poodle, Pomeranian,
Hi,

I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different objects at home. Today I had him fully groomed as see bald pink spots with flaky brown around it. He has one large and two little spots on completely different places of his back. I will send pictures too. I can't take him to his vet until next week but will call out of work if it looks serious. Thank you for your time.

Thank you for sending me these photos:

bald spots on dog

I've zoomed in on this one:

bald spot on a dog

This is a tough call to make over the internet as there are several possibilities here. It's possible that these are just nothing to worry about at all. If they don't seem to be itchy then I'd keep an eye on them and they may just get better on their own.

However, you mentioned that he is rubbing his back on objects at home. If you think that he is trying to scratch these spots then it means that there may be something going on that we need to treat. My first thought is that these are small areas of localized infection. The most common cause would be a staph infection. This is most common in dogs that have gone swimming, but you can see it on any dog, even if they are not swimmers. If this is a staph infection then he will likely need antibiotics either in pill form or by injection from the vet. It's not something that you need to urgently rush in for and likely you are ok to wait until next week unless they seem to be getting dramatically worse.

There are some less common possibilities such as ringworm or other fungal infections but I think that these would be unlikely.

A topical cream like neosporin or polysporin could possibly help take some of the itch away but usually these creams are not strong enough to cure a bacterial infection. I think if this were my dog I would do nothing for now other than keep an eye on the spots and then if they are getting bothersome...or, if they have not gone away in a few days then I would have the vet check him out.

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (11712 views)

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (38009 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (21507 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14319 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4683 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (30648 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3080 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (14062 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6532 views)

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (14493 views)