Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16039 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (11259 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (30687 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (7391 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18907 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15700 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7403 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (33008 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (19845 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (24754 views)