Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (25324 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (8649 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7927 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (14759 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (16510 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (8316 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (9327 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (17551 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (55104 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (28482 views)