Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (10254 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11338 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (27023 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5492 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14701 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (13380 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (31325 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9216 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9461 views)

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9344 views)