Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (7336 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5154 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (11134 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (18291 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6178 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (15116 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11962 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (23507 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (20475 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15549 views)