Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (7237 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (20610 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (10653 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (17821 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (88392 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (10660 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (13100 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (11285 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (10625 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (18786 views)