Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (9314 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (25175 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (6168 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (14560 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (8683 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (6308 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (12366 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (18334 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (13233 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (12112 views)