Skin lesion on gerbil.

Breed: gerbil
can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation on the side of my gerbil's body? It's oval in shape and about 1/2" long, bloody - looks like maybe a brown spot beneath the blood. His behavior is normal.

thank you!

Lisa

Hi Lisa...I'd love to see a picture of Cinnamon, although it can be hard to get a clear picture of a gerbil. If you can get a picture of the problem you can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com and I'll take a look.

It's possible that what you are seeing is a scent gland that is inflamed. However, these are usually not on the side, but on the middle of the underbelly.

There are a number of other possibilities. Gerbils can get ringworm which is a fungal infection. They can also get mites that can cause skin lesions. Often, if there are mites, you can see tiny little red parasites on the skin or fur.

Does Cinnamon live with any other gerbils? If so, it's possible this is a fight wound.

I'd love to see a photo of your little guy. Ultimately though, it's probably a good idea to find a vet who treats gerbils and have them take a look!

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (25807 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (8967 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (9860 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (18233 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (7508 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11002 views)

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (43608 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (150980 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (13082 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (11733 views)