Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate dark chocolate.

Species: Dog
Breed: miniature dachshund
Age: 2-5 years
Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to 30 grams of dark chocolate. What do we need to do?



Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi William! I'm so sorry I wasn't online when you asked your question. I hope Manchi is ok!

You are right to be concerned about dark chocolate ingestion in a dog. The theobromine in the chocolate combined with the caffeine can have effects on a dog's heart that can be fatal.

I did some calculations though and whether or not Manchi will be ok depends on her weight. If she is less than 10 lbs and ate 30g of dark chocolate she can possibly have some serious cardiac effects. If she is greater than 10 lbs she will most likely just have some diarrhea and possibly vomiting.

At this point it is too late to consider inducing vomiting. Here are some symptoms to look for. Dogs with chocolate toxicity get tremors, possibly seizures and an irregular heartbeat.

You should be able to feel her heartbeat behind her left armpit. Count how many beats there are in a minute. For a small dog, if there are more than 160 beats per minute then this means that she may be suffering some effects from the chocolate. Or, if you find that the heartbeat is very irregular then this could be a bad sign.

If you are seeing a fast heart rate, tremors, extreme hyperactivity or seizures then she should see an emergency vet right away.

I hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16329 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (7463 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5365 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (65020 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4667 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (70487 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12885 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11074 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15189 views)

Hibiscus toxic to dogs? Are Hibiscus flowers poisonous? I caught my pomeranian eating one this morning... (21120 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.