Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: miniature dachshund
Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to 30 grams of dark chocolate. What do we need to do?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi William! I'm so sorry I wasn't online when you asked your question. I hope Manchi is ok!

You are right to be concerned about dark chocolate ingestion in a dog. The theobromine in the chocolate combined with the caffeine can have effects on a dog's heart that can be fatal.

I did some calculations though and whether or not Manchi will be ok depends on her weight. If she is less than 10 lbs and ate 30g of dark chocolate she can possibly have some serious cardiac effects. If she is greater than 10 lbs she will most likely just have some diarrhea and possibly vomiting.

At this point it is too late to consider inducing vomiting. Here are some symptoms to look for. Dogs with chocolate toxicity get tremors, possibly seizures and an irregular heartbeat.

You should be able to feel her heartbeat behind her left armpit. Count how many beats there are in a minute. For a small dog, if there are more than 160 beats per minute then this means that she may be suffering some effects from the chocolate. Or, if you find that the heartbeat is very irregular then this could be a bad sign.

If you are seeing a fast heart rate, tremors, extreme hyperactivity or seizures then she should see an emergency vet right away.

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (9879 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (36052 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (35201 views)

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (30884 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (12348 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (23080 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (12294 views)

Great Dane not eating. Dr. Marie, my dog molly just recently started not eating dog food or drinking and... (12973 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (13094 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9818 views)