Dog ate dark chocolate.

Breed: miniature dachshund
Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to 30 grams of dark chocolate. What do we need to do?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Hi William! I'm so sorry I wasn't online when you asked your question. I hope Manchi is ok!

You are right to be concerned about dark chocolate ingestion in a dog. The theobromine in the chocolate combined with the caffeine can have effects on a dog's heart that can be fatal.

I did some calculations though and whether or not Manchi will be ok depends on her weight. If she is less than 10 lbs and ate 30g of dark chocolate she can possibly have some serious cardiac effects. If she is greater than 10 lbs she will most likely just have some diarrhea and possibly vomiting.

At this point it is too late to consider inducing vomiting. Here are some symptoms to look for. Dogs with chocolate toxicity get tremors, possibly seizures and an irregular heartbeat.

You should be able to feel her heartbeat behind her left armpit. Count how many beats there are in a minute. For a small dog, if there are more than 160 beats per minute then this means that she may be suffering some effects from the chocolate. Or, if you find that the heartbeat is very irregular then this could be a bad sign.

If you are seeing a fast heart rate, tremors, extreme hyperactivity or seizures then she should see an emergency vet right away.

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (97771 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7955 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (12991 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15279 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13990 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7773 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (11960 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8341 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (14179 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (10301 views)