Cat with pseudomonas infection.

Breed: British shorthair
Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey
who has Pseudomas bacteria infection. You suggested
Zithromax. We spoke with our vet. Who advised us that
French authorities ( we live in France now) do not allow its usage on animals because of TB resistance in humans?

She prescribed a second drug which we inject shakey ourselves every 8 hours for 4 days called G4 or gentamicin which we are giving alongside Marbocyl pills.

We have had to increase her dosage of cortisone to one pill a day 4mg as she is too uncomfortable otherwise.

What do you think abt this treatment?

We have seen Zithromax for sale online do you think we can administer it if we can get it? What would be the dosage?

regards

Altan

You're definitely not a bother! I absolutely love helping people out online! I just hope I can be of some assistance to Shakey.

That's frustrating that Zithromax is not available in France. I can understand why. When we first started to realize that it was so effective against respiratory diseases in cats it was prescribed a lot. Over time it was realized that overuse of zithromax can contribute to antibiotic resistance. So, it is not a drug that should be used as a first line antibiotic. I will still use it a couple of times per year for a stubborn case that needs it.

You may want to ask your vet if it is possible to get something called an "emergency drug release". In Canada (where I practice), if a drug is not available here we can sometimes have it shipped to the country if we fill out some government paperwork.

You won't be able to buy it online without a prescription from a vet, and likely they would not be able to ship it to France without governmental permission.

Regarding the gentamicin, I have no concerns with using this drug as long as Shakey has healthy kidneys. Most likely she has had some bloodwork done to be sure of this. If the gentamicin is continued for a significant amount of time your vet may want to do some bloodwork partway through the treatment to make sure the kidneys are ok. The drug is not likely to cause kidney problems, but if any problems were lurking it can make them worse.

Cats tend to handle corticosteroids well, so if she needs a tablet a day for now then this is likely ok.

It sounds like your vet is on the right track.

I really hope things are improving soon!

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (12108 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10271 views)

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (10342 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (78916 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9221 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20206 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (16621 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12460 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (5296 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (164529 views)