Cat with pseudomonas infection.

Breed: British shorthair
Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey
who has Pseudomas bacteria infection. You suggested
Zithromax. We spoke with our vet. Who advised us that
French authorities ( we live in France now) do not allow its usage on animals because of TB resistance in humans?

She prescribed a second drug which we inject shakey ourselves every 8 hours for 4 days called G4 or gentamicin which we are giving alongside Marbocyl pills.

We have had to increase her dosage of cortisone to one pill a day 4mg as she is too uncomfortable otherwise.

What do you think abt this treatment?

We have seen Zithromax for sale online do you think we can administer it if we can get it? What would be the dosage?

regards

Altan

You're definitely not a bother! I absolutely love helping people out online! I just hope I can be of some assistance to Shakey.

That's frustrating that Zithromax is not available in France. I can understand why. When we first started to realize that it was so effective against respiratory diseases in cats it was prescribed a lot. Over time it was realized that overuse of zithromax can contribute to antibiotic resistance. So, it is not a drug that should be used as a first line antibiotic. I will still use it a couple of times per year for a stubborn case that needs it.

You may want to ask your vet if it is possible to get something called an "emergency drug release". In Canada (where I practice), if a drug is not available here we can sometimes have it shipped to the country if we fill out some government paperwork.

You won't be able to buy it online without a prescription from a vet, and likely they would not be able to ship it to France without governmental permission.

Regarding the gentamicin, I have no concerns with using this drug as long as Shakey has healthy kidneys. Most likely she has had some bloodwork done to be sure of this. If the gentamicin is continued for a significant amount of time your vet may want to do some bloodwork partway through the treatment to make sure the kidneys are ok. The drug is not likely to cause kidney problems, but if any problems were lurking it can make them worse.

Cats tend to handle corticosteroids well, so if she needs a tablet a day for now then this is likely ok.

It sounds like your vet is on the right track.

I really hope things are improving soon!

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (150797 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5487 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (6646 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5127 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (18234 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (8681 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (4887 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8608 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (13958 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (95475 views)