Kitten can't hold head up.

Breed: mix breed
I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week now. He is excessively skinny and won't gain weight even though he eats more than a average cat. He is very protective of his food. He constantly meows for no apparent reason. Nose is always dry, has constant diarrhea and he always sits with his head down. He this normal behavior or is there anthing else that I might have to worry about?

Sorry to hear that your little kitten is having problems.

It sounds like there may be a health problem with DJ. My main concern with what you have written is the fact that he always has his head down. This can be a sign of a problem with his potassium levels. Cats with low potassium are usually very weak. It is not common for kittens to have low potassium but it can happen if there are serious kidney problems. A problem like this could happen if he ate something toxic or if he was born with a kidney problem.

Some kittens will have diarrhea because of worms so it won't hurt to treat him with a dewormer. But, from what you have described this sounds like something more serious.

If this was my case I would definitely be doing some blood tests on the little guy. It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (8519 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (4085 views)

Exercise induced collapse. I have a labrador retriever and she is about 4 years old, 60 lbs and she is a girl.... (4417 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (7734 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (6053 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (5769 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (17745 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (30195 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (14228 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (4385 views)