Kitten can't hold head up.

Breed: mix breed
I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week now. He is excessively skinny and won't gain weight even though he eats more than a average cat. He is very protective of his food. He constantly meows for no apparent reason. Nose is always dry, has constant diarrhea and he always sits with his head down. He this normal behavior or is there anthing else that I might have to worry about?

Sorry to hear that your little kitten is having problems.

It sounds like there may be a health problem with DJ. My main concern with what you have written is the fact that he always has his head down. This can be a sign of a problem with his potassium levels. Cats with low potassium are usually very weak. It is not common for kittens to have low potassium but it can happen if there are serious kidney problems. A problem like this could happen if he ate something toxic or if he was born with a kidney problem.

Some kittens will have diarrhea because of worms so it won't hurt to treat him with a dewormer. But, from what you have described this sounds like something more serious.

If this was my case I would definitely be doing some blood tests on the little guy. It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (10152 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (13887 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (35433 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (11011 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (5212 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (6537 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (3298 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (6199 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (9056 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (2321 views)