Kitten can't hold head up.

Breed: mix breed
I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week now. He is excessively skinny and won't gain weight even though he eats more than a average cat. He is very protective of his food. He constantly meows for no apparent reason. Nose is always dry, has constant diarrhea and he always sits with his head down. He this normal behavior or is there anthing else that I might have to worry about?

Sorry to hear that your little kitten is having problems.

It sounds like there may be a health problem with DJ. My main concern with what you have written is the fact that he always has his head down. This can be a sign of a problem with his potassium levels. Cats with low potassium are usually very weak. It is not common for kittens to have low potassium but it can happen if there are serious kidney problems. A problem like this could happen if he ate something toxic or if he was born with a kidney problem.

Some kittens will have diarrhea because of worms so it won't hurt to treat him with a dewormer. But, from what you have described this sounds like something more serious.

If this was my case I would definitely be doing some blood tests on the little guy. It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11796 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (23188 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (9235 views)

Rash on Daschund My dog has a very red rash on her lower abdominal area and vaginal area. She bites... (12324 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (7142 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (12077 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (10087 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (23163 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (76487 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8218 views)