Kitten can't hold head up.

Breed: mix breed
I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week now. He is excessively skinny and won't gain weight even though he eats more than a average cat. He is very protective of his food. He constantly meows for no apparent reason. Nose is always dry, has constant diarrhea and he always sits with his head down. He this normal behavior or is there anthing else that I might have to worry about?

Sorry to hear that your little kitten is having problems.

It sounds like there may be a health problem with DJ. My main concern with what you have written is the fact that he always has his head down. This can be a sign of a problem with his potassium levels. Cats with low potassium are usually very weak. It is not common for kittens to have low potassium but it can happen if there are serious kidney problems. A problem like this could happen if he ate something toxic or if he was born with a kidney problem.

Some kittens will have diarrhea because of worms so it won't hurt to treat him with a dewormer. But, from what you have described this sounds like something more serious.

If this was my case I would definitely be doing some blood tests on the little guy. It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (6125 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (59264 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (10789 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8172 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11060 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (8489 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (6630 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (12501 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (8061 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8809 views)