Kitten can't hold head up.

Breed: mix breed
I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week now. He is excessively skinny and won't gain weight even though he eats more than a average cat. He is very protective of his food. He constantly meows for no apparent reason. Nose is always dry, has constant diarrhea and he always sits with his head down. He this normal behavior or is there anthing else that I might have to worry about?

Sorry to hear that your little kitten is having problems.

It sounds like there may be a health problem with DJ. My main concern with what you have written is the fact that he always has his head down. This can be a sign of a problem with his potassium levels. Cats with low potassium are usually very weak. It is not common for kittens to have low potassium but it can happen if there are serious kidney problems. A problem like this could happen if he ate something toxic or if he was born with a kidney problem.

Some kittens will have diarrhea because of worms so it won't hurt to treat him with a dewormer. But, from what you have described this sounds like something more serious.

If this was my case I would definitely be doing some blood tests on the little guy. It does sound like he needs to see a vet.

I hope he is ok!

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (46858 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (5879 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4103 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (52908 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (19828 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (14537 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (6588 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7281 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (8106 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7313 views)