Vulva dermatitis.

Breed: Golden
Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female area-she has been fixed etc since she was around 9 months old. We visited the vet on Tuesday and he gave us a spray to use on her area 3 times a day and gave us a anitbiotic(cxph) 200 mg for once a day. Now they told us it would take a couple of days to take affect. But I am seeing no results at all from both items--Is it possible that the items they gave us is having no affect? They did not do blood work etc and she just seems to be getting worse as far as afraid to drink because she knows it will hurt when she goes to pee. Thanks for your help.

Hi Joe. Sorry to hear that Honey has this problem. It sounds very uncomfortable! I have seen a number of dogs with a peri-vulvar dermatitis and I always feel so bad for these girls!

The antibiotics will take several days to really make a dent in the infection. However, I would suggest that you call your vet and ask if they can prescribe something else to help with the itch. Most likely the spray has some steroid in it and this is meant to help, but sometimes dogs need something stronger.

Your vet may prescribe a small dose of some steroids such as prednisone to help her get through the initial period of healing.

One other thought...is she really on 200 mg of cephalexin once a day? This is quite a bit lower dose than I would prescribe.

If she is really having problems clearing this up then you could ask your vet to run a thyroid profile on her. Goldens are notorious for hypothyroidism and dogs with this condition have trouble clearing up skin infections.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thank You!

You're very welcome!

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (5494 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (62925 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (11719 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (23449 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13195 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (30735 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (10173 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (104659 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (20190 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (9587 views)