Vulva dermatitis.

Breed: Golden
Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female area-she has been fixed etc since she was around 9 months old. We visited the vet on Tuesday and he gave us a spray to use on her area 3 times a day and gave us a anitbiotic(cxph) 200 mg for once a day. Now they told us it would take a couple of days to take affect. But I am seeing no results at all from both items--Is it possible that the items they gave us is having no affect? They did not do blood work etc and she just seems to be getting worse as far as afraid to drink because she knows it will hurt when she goes to pee. Thanks for your help.

Hi Joe. Sorry to hear that Honey has this problem. It sounds very uncomfortable! I have seen a number of dogs with a peri-vulvar dermatitis and I always feel so bad for these girls!

The antibiotics will take several days to really make a dent in the infection. However, I would suggest that you call your vet and ask if they can prescribe something else to help with the itch. Most likely the spray has some steroid in it and this is meant to help, but sometimes dogs need something stronger.

Your vet may prescribe a small dose of some steroids such as prednisone to help her get through the initial period of healing.

One other thought...is she really on 200 mg of cephalexin once a day? This is quite a bit lower dose than I would prescribe.

If she is really having problems clearing this up then you could ask your vet to run a thyroid profile on her. Goldens are notorious for hypothyroidism and dogs with this condition have trouble clearing up skin infections.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thank You!

You're very welcome!

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (6652 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (24877 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (13716 views)

Great Dane footpad problems. I am employeed as a dog walker and recently began visiting a young Great Dane. Her... (13499 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (27692 views)

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (14449 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (11421 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (25487 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (8808 views)

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (59298 views)