Vulva dermatitis.

Breed: Golden
Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female area-she has been fixed etc since she was around 9 months old. We visited the vet on Tuesday and he gave us a spray to use on her area 3 times a day and gave us a anitbiotic(cxph) 200 mg for once a day. Now they told us it would take a couple of days to take affect. But I am seeing no results at all from both items--Is it possible that the items they gave us is having no affect? They did not do blood work etc and she just seems to be getting worse as far as afraid to drink because she knows it will hurt when she goes to pee. Thanks for your help.

Hi Joe. Sorry to hear that Honey has this problem. It sounds very uncomfortable! I have seen a number of dogs with a peri-vulvar dermatitis and I always feel so bad for these girls!

The antibiotics will take several days to really make a dent in the infection. However, I would suggest that you call your vet and ask if they can prescribe something else to help with the itch. Most likely the spray has some steroid in it and this is meant to help, but sometimes dogs need something stronger.

Your vet may prescribe a small dose of some steroids such as prednisone to help her get through the initial period of healing.

One other thought...is she really on 200 mg of cephalexin once a day? This is quite a bit lower dose than I would prescribe.

If she is really having problems clearing this up then you could ask your vet to run a thyroid profile on her. Goldens are notorious for hypothyroidism and dogs with this condition have trouble clearing up skin infections.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thank You!

You're very welcome!

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8763 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11010 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11364 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (218903 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22182 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7514 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6412 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6442 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (9981 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (25818 views)