Vulva dermatitis.

Breed: Golden
Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female area-she has been fixed etc since she was around 9 months old. We visited the vet on Tuesday and he gave us a spray to use on her area 3 times a day and gave us a anitbiotic(cxph) 200 mg for once a day. Now they told us it would take a couple of days to take affect. But I am seeing no results at all from both items--Is it possible that the items they gave us is having no affect? They did not do blood work etc and she just seems to be getting worse as far as afraid to drink because she knows it will hurt when she goes to pee. Thanks for your help.

Hi Joe. Sorry to hear that Honey has this problem. It sounds very uncomfortable! I have seen a number of dogs with a peri-vulvar dermatitis and I always feel so bad for these girls!

The antibiotics will take several days to really make a dent in the infection. However, I would suggest that you call your vet and ask if they can prescribe something else to help with the itch. Most likely the spray has some steroid in it and this is meant to help, but sometimes dogs need something stronger.

Your vet may prescribe a small dose of some steroids such as prednisone to help her get through the initial period of healing.

One other thought...is she really on 200 mg of cephalexin once a day? This is quite a bit lower dose than I would prescribe.

If she is really having problems clearing this up then you could ask your vet to run a thyroid profile on her. Goldens are notorious for hypothyroidism and dogs with this condition have trouble clearing up skin infections.

I hope she feels better soon!

Thank You!

You're very welcome!

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7754 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (12265 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (30309 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13061 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8867 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (8667 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (8404 views)

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15337 views)

Rat is not eating. my pet rat has an infection and we took her to the vet and was given a mineral food... (9000 views)

Swollen ankle in my dog. My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago... (9477 views)