Mycoplasma in rats.

Breed: Fancy rat
Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has chronic lung problems and the other tends to get sick often because of it. My vet spoke to a specialist and they believe it is Mycoplasma. I have 2 questions concerning this:
1) my friend is supposed to watch them while I'm away and she has a cat, can this transfer to the cat? If so are there precautions which can prevent this?
2) I am studying neuroscience in school and I am going to be working with lab rats this summer. Can I transfer the illness from home to the lab rats? How can I prevent this? If I had them stay somewhere else in the summer (if it was necessary) how do I make sure I am not carrying the disease so that it doesn't transfer?
Thank you very much,
-Ann

You have asked some interesting questions!

Mycoplasma can be frustrating, as you know, and can definitely cause some chronic respiratory problems in rats.

There are some types of mycoplasma that can cause infections in cats. The good news, in your case though, is that most mycoplasma is extremely host specific. What that means is that the rat mycoplasma is extremely unlikely to affect the cat. Rats tend to get mycoplasma pulmonis. This type of mycoplasma is not known to cause illness in cats.

Mycoplasma is usually transmitted via aerosol particles. What that means, is that in order to be contagious from rat to rat, they generally have to be sharing the same airspace. It does not travel well on fomites (i.e. objects, clothing, your hands). Just to be certain, when you are at the lab, I would wash my hands before dealing with the rats there, but it would be very unlikely that you would transmit mycoplasma to the rats in the lab.

Ok, thanks a lot,
it was really helpful!
-Ann

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (7204 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11499 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (10962 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9690 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (57484 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (22109 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (38083 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7410 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10952 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (6829 views)