Mycoplasma in rats.

Breed: Fancy rat
Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has chronic lung problems and the other tends to get sick often because of it. My vet spoke to a specialist and they believe it is Mycoplasma. I have 2 questions concerning this:
1) my friend is supposed to watch them while I'm away and she has a cat, can this transfer to the cat? If so are there precautions which can prevent this?
2) I am studying neuroscience in school and I am going to be working with lab rats this summer. Can I transfer the illness from home to the lab rats? How can I prevent this? If I had them stay somewhere else in the summer (if it was necessary) how do I make sure I am not carrying the disease so that it doesn't transfer?
Thank you very much,
-Ann

You have asked some interesting questions!

Mycoplasma can be frustrating, as you know, and can definitely cause some chronic respiratory problems in rats.

There are some types of mycoplasma that can cause infections in cats. The good news, in your case though, is that most mycoplasma is extremely host specific. What that means is that the rat mycoplasma is extremely unlikely to affect the cat. Rats tend to get mycoplasma pulmonis. This type of mycoplasma is not known to cause illness in cats.

Mycoplasma is usually transmitted via aerosol particles. What that means, is that in order to be contagious from rat to rat, they generally have to be sharing the same airspace. It does not travel well on fomites (i.e. objects, clothing, your hands). Just to be certain, when you are at the lab, I would wash my hands before dealing with the rats there, but it would be very unlikely that you would transmit mycoplasma to the rats in the lab.

Ok, thanks a lot,
it was really helpful!
-Ann

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10326 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (15797 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (14590 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (22696 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (11643 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9871 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6198 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11409 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (18010 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (11085 views)