Itchy scrotum after grooming.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Pug
Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is neutered). aid attitude and demeanor has drastically changed and he won't leave our side. This is very different behavior for him. The area looks swollen and he sits with his leg up in the air. He also seems to freak out like something poked him or bit him before he starts licking. Also when we try to get him to go outside he starts walking and will quickly sit so he can lick again. He was groomed 4 days ago (on thursday) and this crazy licking started 2 days ago (on Saturday). What can we do to help him? He's miserable!

It sounds like Toby is quite uncomfortable!

Given that this started within a few days of grooming, I think it's possible he may have some "clipper rash" in the scrotal area. The skin there is very sensitive and can very easily get inflamed or infected.

It could also be that he has some sort of wound in that area or even something like an insect sting.

If he is this uncomfortable, most likely he's going to need medication from the veterinarian. They can have a look and prescribe antibiotics if necessary and possibly some steroids or steroid cream to help with the inflammation.

Until you can get him to the vet's it is ok to use something like a neosporin/polysporin cream 2-3 times per day. But, I'm guessing that this cream is probably not going to be strong enough to completely help him.

One other thought - it sounds like you're saying he is licking where is scrotum is but it's possible that he has an issue with his anal glands. This would be irritation on one side of the anus. If he is this uncomfortable and it is his anal glands then he may have an abscess there.

In any case, I really would advise that you have a vet see him.

I hope he is ok!

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (6284 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (13867 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (28417 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (11026 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (69654 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (106839 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15352 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4908 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (4801 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (18728 views)