Itchy scrotum after grooming.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Pug
Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is neutered). aid attitude and demeanor has drastically changed and he won't leave our side. This is very different behavior for him. The area looks swollen and he sits with his leg up in the air. He also seems to freak out like something poked him or bit him before he starts licking. Also when we try to get him to go outside he starts walking and will quickly sit so he can lick again. He was groomed 4 days ago (on thursday) and this crazy licking started 2 days ago (on Saturday). What can we do to help him? He's miserable!

It sounds like Toby is quite uncomfortable!

Given that this started within a few days of grooming, I think it's possible he may have some "clipper rash" in the scrotal area. The skin there is very sensitive and can very easily get inflamed or infected.

It could also be that he has some sort of wound in that area or even something like an insect sting.

If he is this uncomfortable, most likely he's going to need medication from the veterinarian. They can have a look and prescribe antibiotics if necessary and possibly some steroids or steroid cream to help with the inflammation.

Until you can get him to the vet's it is ok to use something like a neosporin/polysporin cream 2-3 times per day. But, I'm guessing that this cream is probably not going to be strong enough to completely help him.

One other thought - it sounds like you're saying he is licking where is scrotum is but it's possible that he has an issue with his anal glands. This would be irritation on one side of the anus. If he is this uncomfortable and it is his anal glands then he may have an abscess there.

In any case, I really would advise that you have a vet see him.

I hope he is ok!

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (14085 views)

Should I breed my dog? I would like my dog to have puppies one time before I get her spayed. The puppies... (5514 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (17135 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (16406 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (15876 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (13966 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (23041 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (10720 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (18464 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (15646 views)