Itchy scrotum after grooming.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Pug
Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is neutered). aid attitude and demeanor has drastically changed and he won't leave our side. This is very different behavior for him. The area looks swollen and he sits with his leg up in the air. He also seems to freak out like something poked him or bit him before he starts licking. Also when we try to get him to go outside he starts walking and will quickly sit so he can lick again. He was groomed 4 days ago (on thursday) and this crazy licking started 2 days ago (on Saturday). What can we do to help him? He's miserable!

It sounds like Toby is quite uncomfortable!

Given that this started within a few days of grooming, I think it's possible he may have some "clipper rash" in the scrotal area. The skin there is very sensitive and can very easily get inflamed or infected.

It could also be that he has some sort of wound in that area or even something like an insect sting.

If he is this uncomfortable, most likely he's going to need medication from the veterinarian. They can have a look and prescribe antibiotics if necessary and possibly some steroids or steroid cream to help with the inflammation.

Until you can get him to the vet's it is ok to use something like a neosporin/polysporin cream 2-3 times per day. But, I'm guessing that this cream is probably not going to be strong enough to completely help him.

One other thought - it sounds like you're saying he is licking where is scrotum is but it's possible that he has an issue with his anal glands. This would be irritation on one side of the anus. If he is this uncomfortable and it is his anal glands then he may have an abscess there.

In any case, I really would advise that you have a vet see him.

I hope he is ok!

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (16842 views)

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (39467 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (19102 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (16225 views)

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (9982 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (16262 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (12507 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (22015 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9854 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (19955 views)