Itchy scrotum after grooming.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Pug
Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is neutered). aid attitude and demeanor has drastically changed and he won't leave our side. This is very different behavior for him. The area looks swollen and he sits with his leg up in the air. He also seems to freak out like something poked him or bit him before he starts licking. Also when we try to get him to go outside he starts walking and will quickly sit so he can lick again. He was groomed 4 days ago (on thursday) and this crazy licking started 2 days ago (on Saturday). What can we do to help him? He's miserable!

It sounds like Toby is quite uncomfortable!

Given that this started within a few days of grooming, I think it's possible he may have some "clipper rash" in the scrotal area. The skin there is very sensitive and can very easily get inflamed or infected.

It could also be that he has some sort of wound in that area or even something like an insect sting.

If he is this uncomfortable, most likely he's going to need medication from the veterinarian. They can have a look and prescribe antibiotics if necessary and possibly some steroids or steroid cream to help with the inflammation.

Until you can get him to the vet's it is ok to use something like a neosporin/polysporin cream 2-3 times per day. But, I'm guessing that this cream is probably not going to be strong enough to completely help him.

One other thought - it sounds like you're saying he is licking where is scrotum is but it's possible that he has an issue with his anal glands. This would be irritation on one side of the anus. If he is this uncomfortable and it is his anal glands then he may have an abscess there.

In any case, I really would advise that you have a vet see him.

I hope he is ok!

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8591 views)

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (30501 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (97770 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7929 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (45259 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11377 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (22104 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8453 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11242 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (14733 views)