Itchy scrotum after grooming.

Breed: Lhasa Apso/Pug
Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is neutered). aid attitude and demeanor has drastically changed and he won't leave our side. This is very different behavior for him. The area looks swollen and he sits with his leg up in the air. He also seems to freak out like something poked him or bit him before he starts licking. Also when we try to get him to go outside he starts walking and will quickly sit so he can lick again. He was groomed 4 days ago (on thursday) and this crazy licking started 2 days ago (on Saturday). What can we do to help him? He's miserable!

It sounds like Toby is quite uncomfortable!

Given that this started within a few days of grooming, I think it's possible he may have some "clipper rash" in the scrotal area. The skin there is very sensitive and can very easily get inflamed or infected.

It could also be that he has some sort of wound in that area or even something like an insect sting.

If he is this uncomfortable, most likely he's going to need medication from the veterinarian. They can have a look and prescribe antibiotics if necessary and possibly some steroids or steroid cream to help with the inflammation.

Until you can get him to the vet's it is ok to use something like a neosporin/polysporin cream 2-3 times per day. But, I'm guessing that this cream is probably not going to be strong enough to completely help him.

One other thought - it sounds like you're saying he is licking where is scrotum is but it's possible that he has an issue with his anal glands. This would be irritation on one side of the anus. If he is this uncomfortable and it is his anal glands then he may have an abscess there.

In any case, I really would advise that you have a vet see him.

I hope he is ok!

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (19750 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (37170 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (18575 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8290 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (11406 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (11919 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12192 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (6814 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (23313 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9471 views)