Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: tabby cat
My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and she goes on them most of the time, but lately she has started this upstairs in the same place every so often.
I clean her litter 3 times per week, she has two litter boxes in the same room(her room)but she only uses one of them. She still ocasionally poops in the upstairs living room. Is there a way to make her stop this behavior? Today I placed a bowl of her dry food in the area she has been going, thinking that she will not go where she eats. I am concerned because my husband says if she does it again, she has to be put down, but she is otherwise really healthy, older but no signs of any other problems. I have had her for 16 years and in no way want to put her down if she isn't sick.
Thanks so much, I will recommend your website to my friends.
Renae

When a cat poops outside of the litter box it can be very frustrating! Often we don't know why a cat does this.

Here are a few things that I can recommend that sometimes help:

• Throw out your litter boxes and get new ones. The old boxes can retain odors over the years.

• Have one more box than the number of cats you have.

• Clean the boxes twice daily

• Try different sizes of litter boxes. Some older cats don't like to get in a box with large walls, so try using a boot tray. Other cats like large walls so try using a rubbermaid container.

• Experiment with offering different types of litter.

• Use pee pads in the places where she is pooping. Then, every day, move the pads so that they are closer to where the litter boxes are kept. You may be able to retrain her to poop in the box.

• Consider Feliway which releases pheromones that reduce stress in cats.

If this is a new behavior for Quincy it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. Sometimes older cats will poop in the house because of pain in the spinal cord called lumbosacral syndrome. This can sometimes be treated with pain medication.

I hope this helps!

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (5759 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (13370 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (9194 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (8083 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (5660 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (14839 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (13596 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (26874 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (3803 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (6752 views)