Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: tabby cat
My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and she goes on them most of the time, but lately she has started this upstairs in the same place every so often.
I clean her litter 3 times per week, she has two litter boxes in the same room(her room)but she only uses one of them. She still ocasionally poops in the upstairs living room. Is there a way to make her stop this behavior? Today I placed a bowl of her dry food in the area she has been going, thinking that she will not go where she eats. I am concerned because my husband says if she does it again, she has to be put down, but she is otherwise really healthy, older but no signs of any other problems. I have had her for 16 years and in no way want to put her down if she isn't sick.
Thanks so much, I will recommend your website to my friends.
Renae

When a cat poops outside of the litter box it can be very frustrating! Often we don't know why a cat does this.

Here are a few things that I can recommend that sometimes help:

• Throw out your litter boxes and get new ones. The old boxes can retain odors over the years.

• Have one more box than the number of cats you have.

• Clean the boxes twice daily

• Try different sizes of litter boxes. Some older cats don't like to get in a box with large walls, so try using a boot tray. Other cats like large walls so try using a rubbermaid container.

• Experiment with offering different types of litter.

• Use pee pads in the places where she is pooping. Then, every day, move the pads so that they are closer to where the litter boxes are kept. You may be able to retrain her to poop in the box.

• Consider Feliway which releases pheromones that reduce stress in cats.

If this is a new behavior for Quincy it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. Sometimes older cats will poop in the house because of pain in the spinal cord called lumbosacral syndrome. This can sometimes be treated with pain medication.

I hope this helps!

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (28982 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (6316 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (13028 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (6298 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (7256 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (17774 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (5706 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (8721 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (23077 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (38540 views)