Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: tabby cat
My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and she goes on them most of the time, but lately she has started this upstairs in the same place every so often.
I clean her litter 3 times per week, she has two litter boxes in the same room(her room)but she only uses one of them. She still ocasionally poops in the upstairs living room. Is there a way to make her stop this behavior? Today I placed a bowl of her dry food in the area she has been going, thinking that she will not go where she eats. I am concerned because my husband says if she does it again, she has to be put down, but she is otherwise really healthy, older but no signs of any other problems. I have had her for 16 years and in no way want to put her down if she isn't sick.
Thanks so much, I will recommend your website to my friends.
Renae

When a cat poops outside of the litter box it can be very frustrating! Often we don't know why a cat does this.

Here are a few things that I can recommend that sometimes help:

• Throw out your litter boxes and get new ones. The old boxes can retain odors over the years.

• Have one more box than the number of cats you have.

• Clean the boxes twice daily

• Try different sizes of litter boxes. Some older cats don't like to get in a box with large walls, so try using a boot tray. Other cats like large walls so try using a rubbermaid container.

• Experiment with offering different types of litter.

• Use pee pads in the places where she is pooping. Then, every day, move the pads so that they are closer to where the litter boxes are kept. You may be able to retrain her to poop in the box.

• Consider Feliway which releases pheromones that reduce stress in cats.

If this is a new behavior for Quincy it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. Sometimes older cats will poop in the house because of pain in the spinal cord called lumbosacral syndrome. This can sometimes be treated with pain medication.

I hope this helps!

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13450 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (15644 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (8355 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9339 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9748 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (12728 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (27988 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8452 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11463 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61697 views)