Cat pooping on floor.

Breed: tabby cat
My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and she goes on them most of the time, but lately she has started this upstairs in the same place every so often.
I clean her litter 3 times per week, she has two litter boxes in the same room(her room)but she only uses one of them. She still ocasionally poops in the upstairs living room. Is there a way to make her stop this behavior? Today I placed a bowl of her dry food in the area she has been going, thinking that she will not go where she eats. I am concerned because my husband says if she does it again, she has to be put down, but she is otherwise really healthy, older but no signs of any other problems. I have had her for 16 years and in no way want to put her down if she isn't sick.
Thanks so much, I will recommend your website to my friends.
Renae

When a cat poops outside of the litter box it can be very frustrating! Often we don't know why a cat does this.

Here are a few things that I can recommend that sometimes help:

• Throw out your litter boxes and get new ones. The old boxes can retain odors over the years.

• Have one more box than the number of cats you have.

• Clean the boxes twice daily

• Try different sizes of litter boxes. Some older cats don't like to get in a box with large walls, so try using a boot tray. Other cats like large walls so try using a rubbermaid container.

• Experiment with offering different types of litter.

• Use pee pads in the places where she is pooping. Then, every day, move the pads so that they are closer to where the litter boxes are kept. You may be able to retrain her to poop in the box.

• Consider Feliway which releases pheromones that reduce stress in cats.

If this is a new behavior for Quincy it's a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. Sometimes older cats will poop in the house because of pain in the spinal cord called lumbosacral syndrome. This can sometimes be treated with pain medication.

I hope this helps!

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (3408 views)

Black spots on tongue. Hypothyroidism? My dog seems to have multiple symptoms... Harsh,dry cough, hair falling out in... (3874 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (10427 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (6296 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (88926 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (4589 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (10450 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (4364 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (10756 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (21710 views)