Swollen carpal pad.

Breed: Mixed
Dear Dr. Marie:
About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our dog's right leg was larger than the one on his left leg. It wasn't bothering him, but we took him to the vet after it started to crack and bleed. She prescribed 14 days of antibiotics, but after 10 days, it had not changed in size and he is now scheduled for an exam next week. Due to his temperment at the vet clinic, he has to be put under general anesthetic for a full exam to occur. I can send you a picture of the pad, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts regarding what could be wrong. It has not bled in almost two weeks, and he is not favoring his other leg or licking at the pad.
Thank You

Hi Paul. I would love to see a picture before I comment. You can email one to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Ok, thanks for the photo:

alt="carpal pad" width=300px >

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things I would. If a carpal pad is swollen, the first thing we think of is an infection. We are hoping that perhaps there is a foreign object in there that has caused it to react and swell. But, it is worrisome that there has been no improvement with antibiotics.

The next step is indeed to do a good thorough exam under an anesthetic. The vet may find an object under the skin such as a thorn or splinter. If they dont' find anything they will likely want to biopsy some skin.

The purpose of a biopsy is to determine if this is a tumor. It's really not common to have a tumor on the carpal pad, but it can happen. Some of these tumors can be benign and can be cured with removing the pad surgically. Others can be more serious types of cancers.

Your vet may decide to do surgery to remove the pad. However, in many cases it is best to find out what it is first (i.e. biopsy). Some types of tumors can be removed with a very small margin of tissue around the tumor and others need much more extensive surgery.

I really hope everything turns out ok!

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (17637 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (20554 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (39018 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (7615 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (15331 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (9188 views)

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (7811 views)

Dog doesn't like u/d For a dog that has once needed to have surgery to have bladder stones removed do you... (23675 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10928 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (13923 views)