Swollen carpal pad.

Breed: Mixed
Dear Dr. Marie:
About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our dog's right leg was larger than the one on his left leg. It wasn't bothering him, but we took him to the vet after it started to crack and bleed. She prescribed 14 days of antibiotics, but after 10 days, it had not changed in size and he is now scheduled for an exam next week. Due to his temperment at the vet clinic, he has to be put under general anesthetic for a full exam to occur. I can send you a picture of the pad, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts regarding what could be wrong. It has not bled in almost two weeks, and he is not favoring his other leg or licking at the pad.
Thank You

Hi Paul. I would love to see a picture before I comment. You can email one to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Ok, thanks for the photo:

alt="carpal pad" width=300px >

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things I would. If a carpal pad is swollen, the first thing we think of is an infection. We are hoping that perhaps there is a foreign object in there that has caused it to react and swell. But, it is worrisome that there has been no improvement with antibiotics.

The next step is indeed to do a good thorough exam under an anesthetic. The vet may find an object under the skin such as a thorn or splinter. If they dont' find anything they will likely want to biopsy some skin.

The purpose of a biopsy is to determine if this is a tumor. It's really not common to have a tumor on the carpal pad, but it can happen. Some of these tumors can be benign and can be cured with removing the pad surgically. Others can be more serious types of cancers.

Your vet may decide to do surgery to remove the pad. However, in many cases it is best to find out what it is first (i.e. biopsy). Some types of tumors can be removed with a very small margin of tissue around the tumor and others need much more extensive surgery.

I really hope everything turns out ok!

Fecal incontinence. My 11-year-old Pug was diagnosed with a luxating patella at 8 years of age. He was... (8450 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25994 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27186 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (63636 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42748 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11646 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8435 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11984 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6317 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (17980 views)