Swollen carpal pad.

Breed: Mixed
Dear Dr. Marie:
About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our dog's right leg was larger than the one on his left leg. It wasn't bothering him, but we took him to the vet after it started to crack and bleed. She prescribed 14 days of antibiotics, but after 10 days, it had not changed in size and he is now scheduled for an exam next week. Due to his temperment at the vet clinic, he has to be put under general anesthetic for a full exam to occur. I can send you a picture of the pad, and I am interested in hearing your thoughts regarding what could be wrong. It has not bled in almost two weeks, and he is not favoring his other leg or licking at the pad.
Thank You

Hi Paul. I would love to see a picture before I comment. You can email one to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Ok, thanks for the photo:

alt="carpal pad" width=300px >

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things I would. If a carpal pad is swollen, the first thing we think of is an infection. We are hoping that perhaps there is a foreign object in there that has caused it to react and swell. But, it is worrisome that there has been no improvement with antibiotics.

The next step is indeed to do a good thorough exam under an anesthetic. The vet may find an object under the skin such as a thorn or splinter. If they dont' find anything they will likely want to biopsy some skin.

The purpose of a biopsy is to determine if this is a tumor. It's really not common to have a tumor on the carpal pad, but it can happen. Some of these tumors can be benign and can be cured with removing the pad surgically. Others can be more serious types of cancers.

Your vet may decide to do surgery to remove the pad. However, in many cases it is best to find out what it is first (i.e. biopsy). Some types of tumors can be removed with a very small margin of tissue around the tumor and others need much more extensive surgery.

I really hope everything turns out ok!

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (11698 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (5438 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15555 views)

Red eye in kitten. my kitten all of a sudden got a red around his left eye. He keeps pawing at it when... (8221 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (8990 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4790 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4961 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11237 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (16864 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8066 views)