Frontline and bathing.

Breed: Yorkiepoo

I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a bath. Will the Frontline still be effective or should I apply another application?

Thank you,

Chanae

Thanks for a good question!

Frontline should be effective even if a bath has been given. However, if you gave the bath immediately after putting the frontline on then it would be a good idea to apply another one. (It is a very safe medication and it won't hurt to put on a second dose.)

Even though this is not written on the label, there are a number of people who believe that you should not give a bath for 48 hours before and after Frontline application.

The reason for this is that the frontline gets absorbed into the oil glands of the dog and if a bath is given then this will strip the normal oils from these glands.

Personally I don't worry about this. The only time I would be really concerned is if you had bathed him in a medicated shampoo that was meant to strip off dead skin (seborrhea, etc.). In this case then I would wait 2 days to apply it.

Hope that answers your question!

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (10375 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (16448 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (10397 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (17923 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (28224 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (17008 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (124380 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (22597 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (9063 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (5239 views)