Frontline and bathing.

Breed: Yorkiepoo

I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a bath. Will the Frontline still be effective or should I apply another application?

Thank you,

Chanae

Thanks for a good question!

Frontline should be effective even if a bath has been given. However, if you gave the bath immediately after putting the frontline on then it would be a good idea to apply another one. (It is a very safe medication and it won't hurt to put on a second dose.)

Even though this is not written on the label, there are a number of people who believe that you should not give a bath for 48 hours before and after Frontline application.

The reason for this is that the frontline gets absorbed into the oil glands of the dog and if a bath is given then this will strip the normal oils from these glands.

Personally I don't worry about this. The only time I would be really concerned is if you had bathed him in a medicated shampoo that was meant to strip off dead skin (seborrhea, etc.). In this case then I would wait 2 days to apply it.

Hope that answers your question!

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (6105 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14344 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (7794 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25980 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26623 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (19367 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (15538 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22516 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13083 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (21016 views)