Frontline and bathing.

Breed: Yorkiepoo

I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a bath. Will the Frontline still be effective or should I apply another application?

Thank you,

Chanae

Thanks for a good question!

Frontline should be effective even if a bath has been given. However, if you gave the bath immediately after putting the frontline on then it would be a good idea to apply another one. (It is a very safe medication and it won't hurt to put on a second dose.)

Even though this is not written on the label, there are a number of people who believe that you should not give a bath for 48 hours before and after Frontline application.

The reason for this is that the frontline gets absorbed into the oil glands of the dog and if a bath is given then this will strip the normal oils from these glands.

Personally I don't worry about this. The only time I would be really concerned is if you had bathed him in a medicated shampoo that was meant to strip off dead skin (seborrhea, etc.). In this case then I would wait 2 days to apply it.

Hope that answers your question!

Penis discharge in dog. Hello. My male Jack Russell dog is now 6-7 months old and lately, he has been... (99878 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16303 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (9244 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (13452 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (33988 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (123367 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (9658 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (12472 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (16166 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (25551 views)