Frontline and bathing.

Breed: Yorkiepoo

I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a bath. Will the Frontline still be effective or should I apply another application?

Thank you,

Chanae

Thanks for a good question!

Frontline should be effective even if a bath has been given. However, if you gave the bath immediately after putting the frontline on then it would be a good idea to apply another one. (It is a very safe medication and it won't hurt to put on a second dose.)

Even though this is not written on the label, there are a number of people who believe that you should not give a bath for 48 hours before and after Frontline application.

The reason for this is that the frontline gets absorbed into the oil glands of the dog and if a bath is given then this will strip the normal oils from these glands.

Personally I don't worry about this. The only time I would be really concerned is if you had bathed him in a medicated shampoo that was meant to strip off dead skin (seborrhea, etc.). In this case then I would wait 2 days to apply it.

Hope that answers your question!

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23896 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (27339 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (23642 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (42556 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (11039 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (23468 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (12236 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (9032 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (9227 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (10803 views)