Bumps on dog's chin.

Breed: english mastiff\timb
my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were bleeding over the weekend, but although red, are not bleeding currently. I will send you some pictures. thank you for your help

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo. I've cropped it and posted it here:

bumps on dog's chin

Now, I can't make a diagnosis on the internet, but I can tell you that this looks very much like something we call chin acne in dogs. The medical term for this is "muzzle folliculitis and furunculosis". We usually don't know the cause of it. Sometimes it can happen because of trauma or a small cut to the area, but often the cause is completely unknown.

It's best to see your vet for treatment for this condition. I'd recommend seeing them soon because if you wait too long then you can be dealing with infection as well. In most cases the vet will prescribe a benzoyl peroxide shampoo or gel for you to apply to the area. I have had some patients that have used over the counter human products such as Oxy Pads, but again, you need to get clearance from your vet to do this.

If your vet feels that infection is present then they will likely prescribe some oral antibiotics as well.

Hope things clear up soon!

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (33025 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (15164 views)

Red bugs on my dog. my dog has red bugs on him i have no idea what to do PLZ ANSWER THIS I LOVE MY DOG I... (14689 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (17382 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6026 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22567 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (6130 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25936 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (8381 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12463 views)