Bumps on dog's chin.

Breed: english mastiff\timb
my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were bleeding over the weekend, but although red, are not bleeding currently. I will send you some pictures. thank you for your help

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo. I've cropped it and posted it here:

bumps on dog's chin

Now, I can't make a diagnosis on the internet, but I can tell you that this looks very much like something we call chin acne in dogs. The medical term for this is "muzzle folliculitis and furunculosis". We usually don't know the cause of it. Sometimes it can happen because of trauma or a small cut to the area, but often the cause is completely unknown.

It's best to see your vet for treatment for this condition. I'd recommend seeing them soon because if you wait too long then you can be dealing with infection as well. In most cases the vet will prescribe a benzoyl peroxide shampoo or gel for you to apply to the area. I have had some patients that have used over the counter human products such as Oxy Pads, but again, you need to get clearance from your vet to do this.

If your vet feels that infection is present then they will likely prescribe some oral antibiotics as well.

Hope things clear up soon!

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4842 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6677 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19130 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12542 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (10225 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8036 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (79800 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (7902 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11596 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (10562 views)