Bumps on dog's chin.

Breed: english mastiff\timb
my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were bleeding over the weekend, but although red, are not bleeding currently. I will send you some pictures. thank you for your help

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo. I've cropped it and posted it here:

bumps on dog's chin

Now, I can't make a diagnosis on the internet, but I can tell you that this looks very much like something we call chin acne in dogs. The medical term for this is "muzzle folliculitis and furunculosis". We usually don't know the cause of it. Sometimes it can happen because of trauma or a small cut to the area, but often the cause is completely unknown.

It's best to see your vet for treatment for this condition. I'd recommend seeing them soon because if you wait too long then you can be dealing with infection as well. In most cases the vet will prescribe a benzoyl peroxide shampoo or gel for you to apply to the area. I have had some patients that have used over the counter human products such as Oxy Pads, but again, you need to get clearance from your vet to do this.

If your vet feels that infection is present then they will likely prescribe some oral antibiotics as well.

Hope things clear up soon!

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (7445 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (14986 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (42413 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (19749 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (29497 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (11232 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (16547 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (15610 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (12969 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (9150 views)