Vomiting and red skin.

Breed: Domestic short hair

My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A between yourself and a lady with a cat that was vomiting and had a red color of it skin on its head. Bob has been vomiting for a week now and the skin on his head is bright red at times and pink the rest. My cat Harley and Bander are now exhibiting the same symptoms. Red skin color on the top of the head around ears. It is best seen in the spot above the eyes where the fur is thin. Also vomiting food and then clear and/or foamy liquid and a greenish color eye boogies. My wife Allie and I are starting to get very scared and upset. They are our babies and it will devastate us if we lose them. Please, any information or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Concerned
Terry

This sounds like a bit of a mystery. There really isn't a specific condition that could cause multiple cats to vomit and also have red skin on their heads.

Red skin sounds like some sort of an allergy, but the chances that all 3 cats would be exhibiting an allergy at the same time are small. Have you introduced anything new recently, like a new treat or food? Allergies that cause red skin usually are related to something that has been either ingested or injected such as an insect sting.

If you are seeing a green eye discharge from all of the cats then it really does sound like there is some type of virus affecting each of them. Most cat viruses that cause gunky eyes are not usually serious. However, if a cat is vomiting and not eating then I do get concerned. If this is a mild virus then it should run its course over 2-3 days. There may be some mild symptoms like sneezing or runny eyes that last longer.

Here are some symptoms that would make me want to take the other cats to the vet too:

-if either of them go 24 hours or more without wanting to eat.
-if the eye discharge is getting worse and crusting up the eye.
-if the vomiting continues for several days

I wish I could give you more answers as to what is causing the red skin. I wonder if perhaps it is just due to the stress of vomiting? Or perhaps they have a fever? It's not something I can recall seeing with a vomiting cat before.

I hope everyone is better soon!

We have not introduced any new food or treat. They all have been fed Science Diet optimal care since they were kittens. Also they are eating. Our vet has us giving them amoxicillin. Bob has to have antivomit meds. All three have been to see the vet I just want to make sure I'm am doing everything I can for our babies. I will keep you posted. I do wonder if the cats could have some kind of mites along with what ever is making them vomit. We discarded the container we were using to store their food in. Puchased new food and steriled their food dishes. They seem to be getting better.

Thank you very much for your time. I do feel a lot better after talking with you. If anything changes I will keep you posted.

Sincerely
Terry

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7909 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (11093 views)

Aggressive dog torn nail Lincoln split his nail 2 weeks ago. I put Neosporin on it and wrapped it with a... (13874 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9630 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5617 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (59657 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15549 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (9662 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (37105 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (35931 views)