Vomiting and red skin.

Breed: Domestic short hair

My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A between yourself and a lady with a cat that was vomiting and had a red color of it skin on its head. Bob has been vomiting for a week now and the skin on his head is bright red at times and pink the rest. My cat Harley and Bander are now exhibiting the same symptoms. Red skin color on the top of the head around ears. It is best seen in the spot above the eyes where the fur is thin. Also vomiting food and then clear and/or foamy liquid and a greenish color eye boogies. My wife Allie and I are starting to get very scared and upset. They are our babies and it will devastate us if we lose them. Please, any information or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Concerned
Terry

This sounds like a bit of a mystery. There really isn't a specific condition that could cause multiple cats to vomit and also have red skin on their heads.

Red skin sounds like some sort of an allergy, but the chances that all 3 cats would be exhibiting an allergy at the same time are small. Have you introduced anything new recently, like a new treat or food? Allergies that cause red skin usually are related to something that has been either ingested or injected such as an insect sting.

If you are seeing a green eye discharge from all of the cats then it really does sound like there is some type of virus affecting each of them. Most cat viruses that cause gunky eyes are not usually serious. However, if a cat is vomiting and not eating then I do get concerned. If this is a mild virus then it should run its course over 2-3 days. There may be some mild symptoms like sneezing or runny eyes that last longer.

Here are some symptoms that would make me want to take the other cats to the vet too:

-if either of them go 24 hours or more without wanting to eat.
-if the eye discharge is getting worse and crusting up the eye.
-if the vomiting continues for several days

I wish I could give you more answers as to what is causing the red skin. I wonder if perhaps it is just due to the stress of vomiting? Or perhaps they have a fever? It's not something I can recall seeing with a vomiting cat before.

I hope everyone is better soon!

We have not introduced any new food or treat. They all have been fed Science Diet optimal care since they were kittens. Also they are eating. Our vet has us giving them amoxicillin. Bob has to have antivomit meds. All three have been to see the vet I just want to make sure I'm am doing everything I can for our babies. I will keep you posted. I do wonder if the cats could have some kind of mites along with what ever is making them vomit. We discarded the container we were using to store their food in. Puchased new food and steriled their food dishes. They seem to be getting better.

Thank you very much for your time. I do feel a lot better after talking with you. If anything changes I will keep you posted.

Sincerely
Terry

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (4597 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10071 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (33620 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (7718 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (18352 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (6741 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (23178 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (14490 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8394 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4267 views)