Cat is licking himself and has scabs.

Breed: taby mix with a whit
My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has scabies down his neck.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so uncomfortable!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to have scabs and be itchy. Here are some possibilities:

1. Fleas - Even if you can't see fleas, this would be the first thing I would treat for. Some cats are so allergic that even one bite will set them off. The most common areas to see itchiness with fleas are on the back over the base of the tail and the back of the neck. If you treat for fleas be sure to use a vet approved product such as Revolution.Pet store products do not work for fleas.

2. A skin infection - If this is the case usually you will see little pimples that turn to pustules and then rupture to cause scabs. If it is an infection then Toby will need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Creams will not work.

3. Eosinophilic Ulcer - We don't know what causes these but we believe it is some type of allergy. Cats who have these will have a large scab and sometimes more than one on their skin. They usually need to be treated with a steroid shot from the vet.

4. Food allergy - This is not very common but can cause scabs and itchiness.

Ultimately it sounds like she should see a vet.

Hope she feels better soon!

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11653 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (10625 views)

Chronic doxycycline use. How many weeks can I safely keep my pug on 100 mg daily of doxycycline... (15415 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (33213 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (25475 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (7809 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (12052 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (9129 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (24854 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (25765 views)