Cat is licking himself and has scabs.

Breed: taby mix with a whit
My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has scabies down his neck.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so uncomfortable!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to have scabs and be itchy. Here are some possibilities:

1. Fleas - Even if you can't see fleas, this would be the first thing I would treat for. Some cats are so allergic that even one bite will set them off. The most common areas to see itchiness with fleas are on the back over the base of the tail and the back of the neck. If you treat for fleas be sure to use a vet approved product such as Revolution.Pet store products do not work for fleas.

2. A skin infection - If this is the case usually you will see little pimples that turn to pustules and then rupture to cause scabs. If it is an infection then Toby will need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Creams will not work.

3. Eosinophilic Ulcer - We don't know what causes these but we believe it is some type of allergy. Cats who have these will have a large scab and sometimes more than one on their skin. They usually need to be treated with a steroid shot from the vet.

4. Food allergy - This is not very common but can cause scabs and itchiness.

Ultimately it sounds like she should see a vet.

Hope she feels better soon!

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (11026 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (16705 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7548 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (43974 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (12644 views)

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (10121 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11857 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5231 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5419 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (25879 views)