Cat is licking himself and has scabs.

Breed: taby mix with a whit
My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has scabies down his neck.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so uncomfortable!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to have scabs and be itchy. Here are some possibilities:

1. Fleas - Even if you can't see fleas, this would be the first thing I would treat for. Some cats are so allergic that even one bite will set them off. The most common areas to see itchiness with fleas are on the back over the base of the tail and the back of the neck. If you treat for fleas be sure to use a vet approved product such as Revolution.Pet store products do not work for fleas.

2. A skin infection - If this is the case usually you will see little pimples that turn to pustules and then rupture to cause scabs. If it is an infection then Toby will need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Creams will not work.

3. Eosinophilic Ulcer - We don't know what causes these but we believe it is some type of allergy. Cats who have these will have a large scab and sometimes more than one on their skin. They usually need to be treated with a steroid shot from the vet.

4. Food allergy - This is not very common but can cause scabs and itchiness.

Ultimately it sounds like she should see a vet.

Hope she feels better soon!

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (39387 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11634 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (33182 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (20301 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (114801 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (23881 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5353 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16993 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (8524 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30526 views)