Cat is licking himself and has scabs.

Breed: taby mix with a whit
My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has scabies down his neck.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so uncomfortable!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to have scabs and be itchy. Here are some possibilities:

1. Fleas - Even if you can't see fleas, this would be the first thing I would treat for. Some cats are so allergic that even one bite will set them off. The most common areas to see itchiness with fleas are on the back over the base of the tail and the back of the neck. If you treat for fleas be sure to use a vet approved product such as Revolution.Pet store products do not work for fleas.

2. A skin infection - If this is the case usually you will see little pimples that turn to pustules and then rupture to cause scabs. If it is an infection then Toby will need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Creams will not work.

3. Eosinophilic Ulcer - We don't know what causes these but we believe it is some type of allergy. Cats who have these will have a large scab and sometimes more than one on their skin. They usually need to be treated with a steroid shot from the vet.

4. Food allergy - This is not very common but can cause scabs and itchiness.

Ultimately it sounds like she should see a vet.

Hope she feels better soon!

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (9424 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5107 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7389 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8324 views)

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (53069 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (5210 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (15975 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (10305 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (14910 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (105864 views)