Cat is licking himself and has scabs.

Breed: taby mix with a whit
My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has scabies down his neck.

Sorry to hear that your cat is so uncomfortable!

There are a number of things that can cause a cat to have scabs and be itchy. Here are some possibilities:

1. Fleas - Even if you can't see fleas, this would be the first thing I would treat for. Some cats are so allergic that even one bite will set them off. The most common areas to see itchiness with fleas are on the back over the base of the tail and the back of the neck. If you treat for fleas be sure to use a vet approved product such as Revolution.Pet store products do not work for fleas.

2. A skin infection - If this is the case usually you will see little pimples that turn to pustules and then rupture to cause scabs. If it is an infection then Toby will need antibiotics prescribed by a vet. Creams will not work.

3. Eosinophilic Ulcer - We don't know what causes these but we believe it is some type of allergy. Cats who have these will have a large scab and sometimes more than one on their skin. They usually need to be treated with a steroid shot from the vet.

4. Food allergy - This is not very common but can cause scabs and itchiness.

Ultimately it sounds like she should see a vet.

Hope she feels better soon!

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11239 views)

Dark sticky diarrhea. My 14yr old poodle has diarrhea and an upset stomach (he keeps eating grass in the... (13648 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10749 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16562 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4948 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18192 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9562 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12075 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8830 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9366 views)