Surgery on 14 year old dog.

Breed: shepard, mix breed
Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark red on one of her nipples. She is normally in the house, but we do have our fair share of wild animals in the neighborhood. My daughter and I were afraid that because she is almost 14 years old, that she would not be able to withstand any type of surgery. Please tell us if this is something that may be minor enough for our old dog to recover from.

It's often hard to tell whether or not mammary masses on a dog are cancerous or benign. Unfortunately we can't even tell with a fine needle aspirate test. The only way to know is to have them removed.

I would have no problem with doing a surgery on a 14 year old dog provided her blood tests were ok. The difficult part of the decision will likely be the cost. Depending on the size of these tumors they may be expensive to remove.

But, if you are concerned about safety, then a physical exam plus blood tests really will give you your answer.

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (14725 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (11882 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (5574 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (13937 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (26195 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10182 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (24326 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (15884 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (4829 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (17259 views)