Surgery on 14 year old dog.

Breed: shepard, mix breed
Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark red on one of her nipples. She is normally in the house, but we do have our fair share of wild animals in the neighborhood. My daughter and I were afraid that because she is almost 14 years old, that she would not be able to withstand any type of surgery. Please tell us if this is something that may be minor enough for our old dog to recover from.

It's often hard to tell whether or not mammary masses on a dog are cancerous or benign. Unfortunately we can't even tell with a fine needle aspirate test. The only way to know is to have them removed.

I would have no problem with doing a surgery on a 14 year old dog provided her blood tests were ok. The difficult part of the decision will likely be the cost. Depending on the size of these tumors they may be expensive to remove.

But, if you are concerned about safety, then a physical exam plus blood tests really will give you your answer.

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (24859 views)

Cat is shedding a lot. I have noticed a dramatic increase in the amount of hair Abby loses every time I... (6687 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9651 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (21663 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (18962 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (14279 views)

How often to vaccinate for parvo. Hi How often should I get my dog vaccinated for Parvo? She was vaccinated May... (40266 views)

Praziquantal safe in pregnancy? She has been wormed and I also have wormer I do every six months but recently I have... (9647 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10023 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11771 views)