Surgery on 14 year old dog.

Breed: shepard, mix breed
Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark red on one of her nipples. She is normally in the house, but we do have our fair share of wild animals in the neighborhood. My daughter and I were afraid that because she is almost 14 years old, that she would not be able to withstand any type of surgery. Please tell us if this is something that may be minor enough for our old dog to recover from.

It's often hard to tell whether or not mammary masses on a dog are cancerous or benign. Unfortunately we can't even tell with a fine needle aspirate test. The only way to know is to have them removed.

I would have no problem with doing a surgery on a 14 year old dog provided her blood tests were ok. The difficult part of the decision will likely be the cost. Depending on the size of these tumors they may be expensive to remove.

But, if you are concerned about safety, then a physical exam plus blood tests really will give you your answer.

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (9794 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (15894 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (27445 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (29637 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7385 views)

Heart murmur. In Emerg, as part of an exam in preparation for sedation, a level 2 heart murmur was... (15463 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9229 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6631 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7655 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10197 views)