Surgery on 14 year old dog.

Breed: shepard, mix breed
Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark red on one of her nipples. She is normally in the house, but we do have our fair share of wild animals in the neighborhood. My daughter and I were afraid that because she is almost 14 years old, that she would not be able to withstand any type of surgery. Please tell us if this is something that may be minor enough for our old dog to recover from.

It's often hard to tell whether or not mammary masses on a dog are cancerous or benign. Unfortunately we can't even tell with a fine needle aspirate test. The only way to know is to have them removed.

I would have no problem with doing a surgery on a 14 year old dog provided her blood tests were ok. The difficult part of the decision will likely be the cost. Depending on the size of these tumors they may be expensive to remove.

But, if you are concerned about safety, then a physical exam plus blood tests really will give you your answer.

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (10073 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (19473 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (7296 views)

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (20689 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (37315 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (15695 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (10015 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (20847 views)

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (24618 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7844 views)