Surgery on 14 year old dog.

Breed: shepard, mix breed
Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark red on one of her nipples. She is normally in the house, but we do have our fair share of wild animals in the neighborhood. My daughter and I were afraid that because she is almost 14 years old, that she would not be able to withstand any type of surgery. Please tell us if this is something that may be minor enough for our old dog to recover from.

It's often hard to tell whether or not mammary masses on a dog are cancerous or benign. Unfortunately we can't even tell with a fine needle aspirate test. The only way to know is to have them removed.

I would have no problem with doing a surgery on a 14 year old dog provided her blood tests were ok. The difficult part of the decision will likely be the cost. Depending on the size of these tumors they may be expensive to remove.

But, if you are concerned about safety, then a physical exam plus blood tests really will give you your answer.

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8210 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (24147 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (93726 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11811 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (8239 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (15079 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11077 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (13707 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8599 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (37160 views)