Lyme vaccine and testing.

Breed: jack russell -9 lbs
Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then about 5 minutes later the vet gave her a blood test for heartworm and other parasites. Last night the vet called and said the blood test was positive for lyme disease. I was wondering if the results of the blood test could have been positive because of the lyme vaccine being given to her only 5 minutes before.( don't vaccines often carry a small amount of the disease?) thanks- Andrea

Thanks for an interesting question. No, this lyme vaccine would not cause antibodies to appear on the lyme test.

I am going to do some research for you to get some more information on lyme testing for you and get back to you later today. (I'm just heading offline right now.)

I'll send you a mail when I have more info for you.

Okay, any other info would be greatly appreciated.I have read one article that says that the vaccine can actually cause an untreatable form or lyme disease,so I am worried that maybe I should not have let her be vaccinated.

OK, thanks for your patience! I wanted to be sure that I had accurate information for you before I answered fully.

There are different types of tests that vets can use for lyme disease. The most common that we will use for screening is something called a 4DX test, or some vets will use a C6 test. Both of these tests are quite good at telling the difference between antibodies that are present because exposure to lyme through a tick and antibodies that are present because of vaccines.

Some of the older tests for lyme disease have a hard time distinguishing between vaccine antibodies and disease antibodies. But, here's the information that is important in your dog's case. It takes several days, or even weeks for a dog to develop antibodies against lyme after being vaccinated. So, if your dog was tested 5 minutes after a vaccine, we can know for sure that the antibodies seen on your dog's test are not from the vaccine.

However, this doesn't mean that we have to be worried. Most likely your vet did a 4DX test (as it's the usual screening test we would do). The next step is to the C6 test. This test actually gives us a number that tells us how high the level of infection is. If the level is high enough then your vet will want to treat Missy with an antibiotic called doxycycline to clear the lyme disease.

However, if the number is low, there is some controversy over whether or not to treat. Many dogs will have a small amount of exposure to lyme disease and never get sick. So, if the level of lyme on the C6 is low then your vet may decide to do nothing. This would especially be true if Missy has no symptoms of Lyme disease.

I hope that information is helpful!

Thank you so much for the info it helped a lot.

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (6949 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17707 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12842 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4821 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (10952 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19740 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5405 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5616 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12909 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14451 views)