Lyme vaccine and testing.

Breed: jack russell -9 lbs
Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then about 5 minutes later the vet gave her a blood test for heartworm and other parasites. Last night the vet called and said the blood test was positive for lyme disease. I was wondering if the results of the blood test could have been positive because of the lyme vaccine being given to her only 5 minutes before.( don't vaccines often carry a small amount of the disease?) thanks- Andrea

Thanks for an interesting question. No, this lyme vaccine would not cause antibodies to appear on the lyme test.

I am going to do some research for you to get some more information on lyme testing for you and get back to you later today. (I'm just heading offline right now.)

I'll send you a mail when I have more info for you.

Okay, any other info would be greatly appreciated.I have read one article that says that the vaccine can actually cause an untreatable form or lyme disease,so I am worried that maybe I should not have let her be vaccinated.

OK, thanks for your patience! I wanted to be sure that I had accurate information for you before I answered fully.

There are different types of tests that vets can use for lyme disease. The most common that we will use for screening is something called a 4DX test, or some vets will use a C6 test. Both of these tests are quite good at telling the difference between antibodies that are present because exposure to lyme through a tick and antibodies that are present because of vaccines.

Some of the older tests for lyme disease have a hard time distinguishing between vaccine antibodies and disease antibodies. But, here's the information that is important in your dog's case. It takes several days, or even weeks for a dog to develop antibodies against lyme after being vaccinated. So, if your dog was tested 5 minutes after a vaccine, we can know for sure that the antibodies seen on your dog's test are not from the vaccine.

However, this doesn't mean that we have to be worried. Most likely your vet did a 4DX test (as it's the usual screening test we would do). The next step is to the C6 test. This test actually gives us a number that tells us how high the level of infection is. If the level is high enough then your vet will want to treat Missy with an antibiotic called doxycycline to clear the lyme disease.

However, if the number is low, there is some controversy over whether or not to treat. Many dogs will have a small amount of exposure to lyme disease and never get sick. So, if the level of lyme on the C6 is low then your vet may decide to do nothing. This would especially be true if Missy has no symptoms of Lyme disease.

I hope that information is helpful!

Thank you so much for the info it helped a lot.

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (14042 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (10933 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (74970 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (7884 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (31783 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (18394 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (17712 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (22370 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (70653 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (13990 views)