Interstitial cystitis?

Breed: Persian
Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I did see a little blood at one point when she squatted and only a drop came out.

I'm sorry to hear that Charlotte is not well. While there are several possible reasons for a cat to be squatting, trying to urinate and urinating some blood, the most common reason for a female cat to do this is something called interstitial cystitis. We don't really know the cause for this illness, but it has something to do with the lining of the bladder wall being irritated. It feels the same way a bladder infection feels, but there is no infection there.

Sometimes interstitial cystitis can happen as a result of stress, but often no real cause is found. Some cats will get bouts of interstitial cystitis throughout their lives.

Sometimes a cat can get over interstitial cystitis on their own, but because it is a very uncomfortable condition I do recommend taking her to see a vet. There are a few possible ways to treat this. There is no over the counter remedy that you can do at home.

There are other possible reasons. A urinary tract obstruction can cause squatting and straining and blood. This is not very common in a female cat though. If Charlotte was a male cat then I would be recommending a vet visit immediately as male cats are much more prone to urethral obstructions and this is a life threatening condition.

A bladder infection is a possibility as well although this is not very common in cats. If there is an infection then antibiotics are in order. Home remedies like cranberry juice do not work and could even make things worse.

I would recommend a vet visit for Charlotte. They will obtain a urine sample and run some tests to determine what the problem is. The good news is that interstitial cystitis (if this is what it is) is rarely something really serious.

I hope things improve soon!

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (14830 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (36274 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (8159 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (28862 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (17906 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20513 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (66959 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19278 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11974 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10149 views)